I think that Max is a very interesting character. He is a very determined and strong person. If I was put into the situation that Max had to go through, I don't think that I would have been able to handle it. Max had the determination to fight for his life, and do whatever it took to keep himself alive. His strength was amazing when he stayed in that dark room for so long. He took so many risks to be alive. It made me really sad when I read about how Max was always apologizing to the Hubermann’s because he shouldn’t have to apologize. He had to live in a basement, freezing to death, never getting to look outside because he is a Jew. It’s sad because all he did wrong was be born a Jew. I really liked when he took apart the Mein Kampf and made it into a book for Liesel’s birthday. It really showed how he cared about them and was thankful for what they were doing for him. He made something very special from the little he had. At the part in the book that I am right now, I am not sure how it is going to turn out for Max. Nazis are going to be searching the houses basements to see if any are good for bomb shelters, and I really hope that they do not find Max. As Rosa said “I didn’t take this man into my house to watch him die.” (314, Zusek) I really hope that Max does not end up dying, because all of the struggle and stress of hiding him, and him having to live under the conditions to be hidden, I wouldn’t want that to all be for nothing.
Max Vandenburg is a interesting character he was very sincere and thoughtful of others. I thought of Max as a survivor through all the events he had to go through. He fought when he was young and he would not stop. His will power to hide from the Nazi's. He had no food for days. His dream about fighting Hitler also relates to him being a survivor. Usually people would not dare to do such a thing but max was a exception
The character that spoke to me the most was without a doubt Hans Hubermann. Unlike the typical foster-father-figure, Hans is caring and understanding, fatherly and firm, yet gentle and laid-back, and acts as a genuine father towards Liesel. From the moment he was introduced, he was written to appear as a “perfect” father, which is exactly what Liesel needs after what she’s been through (and what she has yet to go through, surely). A major concept so far has been the power and words, and obviously as Liesel is titled The Book Thief her stealing the books is integral to the story, and without Hans’ tutelage, she never would’ve discovered her love for reading. Therefore, Hans is a hugely important character. And easily my favourite.
Max really is an interesting character. If i was hiding in a dark room for such a long time, I think I honestly would've gone insane already. I like that he has those imaginary fights with Hitler, but it seems that Hitler is haunting because when I read about Max sometimes, it always says that Hitlers shadow is also there with them. I think because of that thought, Max restrains himself from doing many things in order to put him and the Hubermanns out of harms way. I'm really curious to see what happens to Max later on in the book.
I'm quite intrigued by the character of Ilsa Hermann. When Liesel first delivered her ironing, Ilsa seemed so distant and emotionless. Now she's more friendly, but still seems very detached from everything around her. My guess would be that when her son died, she went into a state of depression and never came out. For her to allow Liesel into her home to read was a very kind gesture, yet she still doesn't really communicate much. I'm curious to see if her personality will be further developed later in the book.
I really like the character of Hans Huberman. But when Max leaves we really start to see a different side of Hans. He has a lot of guilt, he's not as confident in himself anymore and it's now Liesel who has to comfort him instead of the other way around, the way it used to be. I feel sorry for Hans and I can definitely understand why he's acting like this, but I can't help but loose some of the love and respect I had for this character before. I hope that Max lives and somehow finds a way to convey that to the Hubermans so that Hans can come back to being his old self again. It would be a shame to loose such a loved and powerful character.
I agree with Josette, I think that Max is a very interesting character. He is very caring character who understands and thinks that life is like a privilege rather than a right for him. He escaped from the killing and now he has a home to live in and he believes that, all this is more than enough for him. He also is very good friends with Liesel now and they share a very unique bond. He wrote Liesel a thirteen-page booklet for her that outlined his life until now on page 224. The name of the story was "The Standover Man". The first "standover man" is his father, who vanishes at a young age. As a kid, he enjoys fighting, and whenever he loses another boy would be standing over him. When he comes to a safe house, it is a girl, not a man, standing over him. They share interests and the girl says he looks like something else. The picture on this page is of a man looking into a mirror and seeing a bird, this is a reference to Liesel's comment that Max's hair looks like feathers. The girl asks the bird about his dreams, and both his and Liesel's recurring nightmares are pictured: Max saying goodbye to his family, and Liesel sleeping with her younger brother at the side of her bed. The bird now thinks they are friends, and that on her birthday the girl gave a gift to him, a hug. The "best standover man" he has ever known is not a man, but a girl. The final page is Liesel reading in the basement, with words like "Valuable" and "Daylight" written on the wall: this is a reference to Liesel's basement writing practice. This booklet showed that he really cares for Liesel and he loves her as a friend. He is indeed a very interesting character.
I really like the character Liesel. I was very surprised at how mature Liesel is. She isn’t very old, only 11 years when Max came to live with them, but she handled the situation like an adult. I wouldn’t think that most 11 year old girls would be able to keep a secret like hiding a Jew in your basement, but Liesel did. She is also a really intelligent person, and a quick thinker. I was very impressed with her behaviors when she saw a Nazis going to search people’s basements for possible bomb shelters. She knew that it would look suspicious if she was to just run home when she saw the Nazis coming. Her plan of getting hurt, and having her dad come to take her home was very smart. Her quick thinking saved Max’s life. She has had a very hard life, with her brother dying, and her mom abandoning her. Getting used to a new family would be very hard, and adding Max into the equation would make life even harder. She has gone through so much in her life so far, but has handled everything really well.
The characters in this story are all very different from one another. They all have completely different personalities, and they show throughout the story. Liesel has many different sides that we’ve seen so far: she is that nice, innocent little girl, who wants to do the right thing, but I think that sometimes she might have trouble deciding between what might be right, and what might be wrong. Another side of hers that we see is that she has a rough side. She has seen things most people her age in Germany would not have (watched her brother die), and I think that that might play a role in this part of her. We read about her beating up Ludwig Schmeikl for insulting her, so we know that if you make her mad, she will bring out her tough side. As we know too, Liesel is also a thief. She has stolen books, but also money from Rosa Hubermann, so she could mail letters off to her mother. Hans Hubermann is a caring, patient man, who really cares about Liesel. He will go out of his way to make Liesel happy (trading his cigarettes for books, and almost writing Liesel a reply letter from her “mom”). He is patient with her when she is learning how to read, and helps her along to getting better. Hans also has a lot of patience when it comes to dealing with Rosa Hubermann. We don’t hear about them fighting, and when she makes rude remarks to him, he just graciously gives her an answer. Sometimes though, it almost seems as if he might have a secret that either he’s keeping from Liesel, or possibly from the whole family. His character seems to be the wise type, yet mysterious. Rosa Hubermann is the type of character, that after the first few pages we hear about her, she gets on your nerves, and wish that she was just out of the story all together. She is never pleased with ANYTHING that Liesel of Hans do, and she always sounds frustrated when she speaks. I’m sure that she could be nice if she wanted to, but it seems like she would just rather stay miserable than actually put an effort into being nice. She is also good at making Liesel seem worthless. She never calls her by her name, only by “Saumensch”. “You’re not worth that much Saumensch!” (Page 92). I think that here, may be the only time that she is not making Liesel seem TOTALLY worthless. She still says she isn’t worth that much, but that would still mean that she is worth at least a little bit, and that she does care for her a little bit. I haven’t heard that much about Trudy Hubermann, but from what I have, she seems a lot nicer, and softer than Rosa. She is nice to Liesel too, so my thinking is that she got a little bit more of her father’s personality than her mothers. Hans Juniour Hubermann is a man who’s all for Hitler. He is trying to convince Hans to join the Hitler party, and also refers to Jews as “garbage”. “It’s pathetic—how a man can stand by and do nothing as a whole nation cleans out the garbage, and makes itself great,” (page 105). The author describes him as having eyes like his fathers, but less warm, and obviously “führered”, (page 103). Hans and Hans Juniour seem to have completely opposite personalities. Hans Juniour is a Nazi, and Hans is one who helps Jews, (helps paint over the graffiti on their houses). “You’re either for or against Hitler, and I can obviously see you’re against!” (Hans Juniour, page 105).
I also like the character Max. He has many good personality traits but I believe he is put into Leisel's life for a certain purpose. For me he is the suppliers of themes; he teaches Leisel and in turn us about greed, the power of words, determination as well as influence, among other things. He teaches Leisel about acceptance through his very presence, he is the 'thing' that she is supposed to hate because of his differences. He also supplies us with a different perspective, a German family helping the very people they are supposed to hate. Because of my thoughts about Max and his purpose I was very surprised when he left. We are supposed to be constantly learning so we can grow as people and since Max was a big part of Leisel’s development, I felt that she needed him. So now I wonder, why did Max go?
Another character in the novel that got me interested was Viktor Chemmel. Although he wasn't a main character in the novel I can still sense what type of character he was. Viktor portrayed to be the bad guy not as bad as Hitler but the actions he did was not good. In the novel he likes to boss people around and seems to enjoy putting people down and enjoys the company of his entourage. He also refers to liesel as unappropriate names. On page 301 Viktor decides to take liesel's book and states the only way to retrieve it back is to pay for it.
A character that I enjoy is Hans Hubermann. When you think of foster parents they can be stereotyped as non caring or non loving. Hans is different, he portrays a caring and loving father towards Liesel and tries to teach her new things that she would have never known. Hans is genuine and is very generous. He offers to stay up in the waking hours of the morning to teach Liesel to read while he must work the next day. He wants to play a part in his new daughter's life and that is very inspiring for new fathers. It's the little things that count the most.
One character that i really like at this point in the book. Would have to be Max he has lots of strength. He shows this by staying in the basement not asking for anything. Yet he still seems happy, or as happy as someone can be well not knowing if they are going to get found and possibly killed. He also is super nice to Liesel. Liesel is another one of my favorite characters this character thinks of the sweetest things to do i love how she thinks to bring snow to the basement for Max, because he can't go outside and experience it for himself, she also brings all the little things she finds. Max and Liesel have great friendship and if Max doesn't live through the sickness he is having i don't know what effects it will have on Liesel.
I was i little taken by the fact that Hans actually gave a loaf of bread to a Jew. Frist because it was not really a respected thing to do at the time and also the fact that it was just kind out of the blue. The thing that made me kind of mad was that after when Liesel asked him why he did that he didn't have a answer he didn't know why he did it.
Liesel Meminger, is the main protagonist of the book, and the girl who grasped Death attention to the extent that he is telling us a story about her life. As to why Death had chosen specifically her still stays unknown to me, but the fact that Liesel‘s life story is worth listening to is incontestable. You might even call her an ordinary girl with unordinary life. In the age of 9, when a person is still a child, completely innocent and very vulnerable to the harsh reality of life, Liesel has to go through things that some people do not even experience in their entire lives. First, she witnesses the death of her little brother, a very dear and close person to her heart. Then she has to face the parting with her mother, the most irreplaceable and the dearest person in everyone’s life. After that, she is forced to move in with a new and completely strange family, and try to refer to them as her parents. Just by summing all of that up I can say that it is way too much for a little girl to go through. Still, Liesel did not break or fall into despair and helplessness. She tried to distract herself from the gray reality by learning to read, being very focused and determined to reach her goal no matter what. Her adaptation in a new atmosphere was not easy, but Liesel never whined or pitied herself. She took every rock thrown at her by the fate very nobly and like an adult. I really like her character and respect her as a person so far in the book. Just the way she deals with things amazes me. Like when she did not let others make fun of her poor reading skills at school and showed everyone that she is not a girl who will let others offend her and the suffer in silence; or when she had a courage to come back and give away the “Whistler” book, given her by the mayor’s wife after Ilsa fired her mother. As I keep reading I continue to witness that Liesel is a very strong and high minded person as she displays the traits of being kind, respectful, responsible, trustful, and understandable girl and despite her difficult past and present life a cheerful person. Also I would not call her a thief in a criminal way. If a person strives for knowledge and she has to still books in order to get it, can that really be called a crime? I personally do not think so. I am more than halfway through the book and I am very eager to see more of Liesel’s life and her abilities to survive in extreme situations and stay determined to reach her dreams. As Death said in the beginning, “Liesel, is the girl with the mountain to climb” (Zusak, 86). I agree.
Liesel Meminger is the main character of the novel. Her mother was forced to give up her two children to foster care - although Liesel's younger brother dies on the way (this has a huge effect on her). Her foster father, Hans, taught her to read at the late age of 11, and while she remains behind in school it becomes her new obsession. However, because of her family's poverty she is forced to steal new reading material from various sources (thus giving her the nickname "The Book Thief"). She later builds a strong connection with her best friend Rudy Steiner she really enjoys his company , although she never tells him of this during his life.
One of the characters in the novel is Ilsa Hermann she has porcelain skin and snow white hair. She mainly wears a bath robes. She is the wife of the mayor. Ilsa is a woman who holds a lot of sadness deep inside her from her son dying. This causes her to be less social.
Liesel to me seems like a very mature girl at her age. I know she’s had to go through heartbreaking times in her life such as the her brother dying of an unknown illness on the train to the Hubermann’s, her father abandoning her and her mother having no choice but to leave Liesel and go away. This is too much for Liesel to handle at her age, but I feel this has made her into a stronger person. She’s been hurt before and I don’t see a reason why she wouldn’t have learnt from that and take being hurt anymore. I also think that this may have a reason to do with why she steals books. Her first stolen book was The Grave Diggers Handbook and this had a connection to her brother because it was all she had left of him. Even though there’s no real connection, it’s a reminder. Stealing books seems like an adventure for her, she learns many things from them and they seem to make her happy, as well as bringing her closer to her new family. I think she built the guts to steal these books from the devastating events in her life. They’ve had a large effect on her that she doesn’t seem to really care what she does now. You also notice that she stands up for herself a bit more, for example telling off Isla Hermann because she fired Rosa from doing their laundry. Though, having hard times in her childhood isn’t the end of the world for her, from the help of her new family and friends she knows again what it’s like to have a family and most importantly what it’s like to be loved.
One of the thing I really liked about Max was the way he saw things. When I consider The Standover man, and how he managed to write exactly what he was feeling, I was pretty impressed. Later on, his "encounters" with Hitler, boxing eachother, were really quite astounding too. He was able to sum up what Hitler was doing to the Jews using the metaphor of a boxing match, and I thought his perspective of what was happening was very interesting.
I’m a big fan of the character Rudy, because he is so confident and cocky, but not in a rude, or serious way. I like the relationship that he has with Liesel, because they can call each other anything, without taking offence. Rudy also never gives up trying to get a kiss from Liesel, and I think that’s kind of cute. I also like the character of Max, because he keeps to himself, but we still know a lot about him. He likes a good fist fight, and is very good at keeping quiet. I think it’s kind of interesting how he thinks he’s being so selfish by asking people for help. A quote I found that basically describes what we hear of Max in many scenes is this: “How could he show up and ask people to risk their lives for him? How could he be so selfish?” (page 169). I like Ilsa, but she always seems so sad. She never really talks, but when she does she seems nice. I wish that we would get to know her better, but preferably by her talking.
On page 369 Ilsa Hermann becomes a "Dynamic character". I was very happy when Liesel found Ilsa Hermann's note with the dictionary and thesaurus because I think it was a bit of a wake up call to Liesel that she was not as sneaky as she thought. Before then I felt very bad for Ilsa because if she was not depressed due to her sons death she was either getting torn apart at by Liesel or getting robbed. As I was reading the letter I was smiling because until that point I was still very upset at Liesel for treating Ilsa so horribly. I really started to see Ilsa Hermann in a way that I never saw before, as a caring and thoughtful woman who is willing to forgive and even go as far as to give presents to the very person who insulted her and probably hated her. This is truly something most people would never do back then and definitely not today. This is one the the many times you see a character change throughout the book which makes it much more enjoyable and adds a lot to the storyline
Hans Hubermann is an amazing character. I think that he is very very kind person for letting Max stay in his basement considering it was risky to do so. On page 394 he got whipped and he is very strong and stuck through it. I was very upset to here that he was joining the Nazi Party and going to war. I don't think he deserves to go to war and have the risk of being killed. He is way to nice and loving to have to do that and for his family to have to go through that. Something that I really life about Hans is that he isn't prejudiced towards Jews and he did something really nice to someone he is supposed to hate. He definitely does not deserve to die in war and I can't wait to find out what happens.
I can't stand Liesel I don't know what it is, but there's something about these children that makes this book unbearable for me to read. I keep trying to sit down and just read the book. Just get through it. But I just can't do it. Liesel, or any other child in this book, (eg. Rudy) just gets on my nerves so much. One thing I can say is that Zusak did do a good job on bringing these characters to life, because I know without a doubt I wouldn't be able to stand them should they be real. It's honestly hard to place my finger on what it is, for whatever reason, Liesel's redundant faults, are getting on my nerves. All I've read is what she can't do, and how she is always failing. It's just depressing, and I don't need a book's help to show me that life sucks. Albeit the setting is in a time of war, therefore the bright side of things is doomed to not shine, however, although the book has done a good job of not being another blatant patronization of teens which most "middle-years" books as "Schoolastic" would label them, are, the feeling I get from the vocabulary used pains me to read, it's as if it's used to make the reader feel smarter than they are. I'm offended to be honest, that's another topic though, I'm supposed to be referring to characters.... Between TKAM and The Book Thief, I would like to say I'm beginning to dislike novel children, however I think it's past that stage and into a migraine-causing lack of tolerance to their useless day to day happenings that bore me to falling asleep reading... everytime i try to read.
Despite my dislike for the young ones, as many have mentioned already, Hans Hubermann is far from the typical German citizen, one who "Heil Hitler"'s at any given opportunity, that the western propaganda seems to have spread of the German people from this period of time. Of course, that last bit is very opinion based, however I've found the only depictions of the axis citizens, has been them in the thousands to hear one of Hitlers rallies. Other than a few documentaries about various plots to kill Hitler by high ranking officers, I never heard of any citizens rebelling, or disliking to whatever extent; I would hardly call Herr Hubermann and rebel. I assumed there was, but never heard anything about them, likely due to Hitlers iron fist swiftly crushing any domestic opposition I suppose. I suppose this also brings into question the historical accuracy of this book, I don't know Zusak's background on the lives of the Third Reiches citizens, I only hope it is extensive. Anyway, Herr Hubermann is a refreshing character in the novel, often the scenes in which he is involved are all that makes me bear to turn another page, for fear of Liesel and Rudy being on the next one. I enjoy him because of his very laid back approach, especially considering his wife Rosa, who is quite the piece of work... I wonder what exactly is in his cigarettes that can keep him in the mood he is with heard "SAUMENSCH" every 10 bloody seconds. His care for Liesel is no doubt formidable, considering that I can't stand the little brat. So far, Hans Hubermann is the highlight of the novel, I'm not expecting that to change character wise.
Hans Junior Hubermann is one of my least favorite characters. One of the reasons why I wasn't very fond of this character is because he comes out kind of rude like when he was speaking to his father it kind of seemed like he was looking down on him like he was disappointed of him or something, like when his father told him that the Nazi hadn't accepted him yet he insulted him by saying that he never really cared about his country in the first place,(page 105) I found that kind of immature of him to say because just because his father (Hans) wasn't part of the Nazi party it doesn't mean that he didn't care about his country (personally I think that he is supporting his country by no supporting the Nazi because of Hitler had a say). The fact that he called his father a "coward" was very unacceptable, extremely rude and uncalled for and that is what made me dislike this character. I thought that Hans Junior was very judgmental. Zusak did a great job on developing Hans Juniors character, because although he wasn't one of the main characters he still had an impact on my experience of reading the this novel so far.
Liesel Meminger is a strong, young German girl who is 11years old. This story takes place in 1939 before the Second World War. She is the girl to whom Death became attached too. She is the main character whose life story was chosen to be told by the narrator, Death. Liesel is forced to go through many events that I could never imagine happening to myself in Canada in the year 2010. At the age of 9 she had to travel to Munich with her 6 year old brother, Werner, and mother to enter a foster home. Her mother could no longer afford to care for her and her sibling. While they were on the train, her brother died ever so quickly and Liesel witnessed this death right in front of her eyes. She now had to face living with a new family all on her own. They were very close as siblings but she bravely faced the challenge of adapting to the foster home, alone. Next, she had to say a heartbreaking goodbye to her mother at the train station while being met by a member of the foster home organisation. In general it is very hard to imagine giving up your mother, who has cared for you as a child and shares an unbreakable bond. When Liesel arrived in Munich she was introduced to her new foster parents. They were working class people who lived on Himmel Street. Rosa Hubermann, her foster mother, was a vulgar woman with a short temper and called Liesel a Saumensch (“pig girl”). Hans Hubermann, her foster father, was a quiet man who rolled his own cigarettes. A few days later, he taught Liesel to roll cigarettes. When she first arrived, she showed a rebellious side towards them by not taking baths when she was told to. But in my opinion, the most difficult thing for Liesel was having to call Rosa and Hans, Mama and Papa. What little 9 year old would want to call strange and new people Mama and Papa? All these events were a lot for a young girl who had lost her brother and her mother in one day. After time, Liesel learned to be respectful towards her new parents or she knew her foster mother would have hit her with the wooden spoon. She did not disagree with them and she would cooperate. She had to do her foster mother’s work. She had to pick up and drop off dry cleaning at wealthy peoples homes. She tried to distract herself with reading. She started by looking at the Gravedigger’s Handbook, a book that she took from her brother’s funeral. One evening, when Hans checked on her he noticed her interest in this book. This is when Liesel and Hans started to connect. Hans stayed up in the waking hours of the morning teaching Liesel to read and comprehend words that she did not yet know. This became a routine which she enjoyed and looked forward to. I am very impressed with her so far in the novel because she is coping with the death of brother, the loss of her mother and fitting into a new family.
Near the end of the book the character Ilsa Hermann is one of my favorite characters. All though she lets Liesel take books from her library. The way Ilsa tells Liesel that she noticed that the books where missing was effective in in a way i was not expecting. She writes the letter and says that it will take her a 1000 trips to take all of the books. This letter makes Liesel start her own book, which when you read the peices from the book she has started writing is like a recap of the begining of the book. This character has a big influance on Liesel, she is the reason that Liesel lives.
I'm on page 250 in this novel and so far the character Hans Hubermann has my interest. At the beginning he was more of just a filler character but as i keep reading he gets to be more complex and the narrator, death, goes more and more in depth with his history. This right now is starting to make me more interested in the book.
As i have already mention i really like the character Hans Hubermann and as i read further along in the book i grow to like his character more and more. Besides the fact that he was so good to Liesel since the day she got there, Hans also was brave, caring, and a really sincere person because he took a big risk to have a Jew come live in his basement. He was even punished for helping out a Jew as stated on page 394. I can't wait to find out more great things that he does in the story.
Hans is starting to become a very interesting character. He is constantly showing new character traits and is consistently becoming a bigger part of the novel. He is becoming much more caring as the novel progresses. On page 354, Liesel writes that she loves her Papa because he painted someone’s house for half a cigarette. He always does a good deed and he cares about others feelings. He always knows what to do and knows the kind of situation people are in due to the wars happening in Germany. On page 394 he showed another act of kindness when he gave bread to an old man who was a part of the Jewish parade. He helped the old man who kept falling to the ground. The old man was very hungry and it was Hans who stood up to the occasion and helped him out. No one else did they all watched. He showed an act of bravery by helping the old Jewish man. Another character that is really developing throughout the novel is Rudy. He is constantly showing that he is a non-racist person and that he doesn't discriminate people by there culture or skin color. He also showed a lot of determination when he said he had to win all 4 events in the Hitler Youth Standards Games on page 360. He also showed his respect towards his idol, Jesse Owens when he had won 3 events and on the 4th event he disqualified himself from the race because he felt that he wasn't as good as him and that he wasn't Jesse Owens. He really impressed me when he did that. Finally he gave bread to hungry Jews during their parade and was caught by a German soldier who chased them. He showed that he really cares about everyone and have them some food to eat so that they wouldn't die. Frau also showed that she is very kind and has a big heart. She understands what is going on in Liesel's mind after she stopped getting laundry done from them. Frau always knew that Liesel was the one stealing books from her household so she always left the window open so that Liesel could come and take the book she needed. It showed that she has a big heart. She also on some occasions left something outside the window for Liesel to take. A lot of characters are starting to show more character traits during the course of this novel.
After finishing the book I looked back to find a character to reflect on. Pour Tommy Muller, he is basically the kid nobody wants to be. When the kid was five years old he got lost on the coldest day of the year and when they finally found him he was practically frozen solid. Due to that accident he needed multiple operations on his ears because of horrible infections and on top of that he has a bad twitch which the children of Himmel Street give him a hard time about. As he got a little older he was having a very hard time hearing causing multiple embarrassments including messing up the Hitler youth event. I figure he was put into the novel for one reason and one reason only to be the worst. If he was not the worst at soccer Liesel would not have gotten out of the goalie position playing soccer as soon as she did which most likely would have been a major set back on the Entire Rudy and Liesel relationship. All I can say is pour Tommy.
I really liked the character of Max Vandenburg, mostly because I felt that he was like the underdog in the story. I just feel like I am drawn to his character. Probably the main thing that draws me to Max is his imagination. The “encounters” that he has in the basement with Hitler is very entertaining. Yes it is kind of explaining how the Jews want to stand up to Hitler, but he is too strong in his numbers to be defeated. Max seems to have a lot of mental strength. He lives in the basement and never asks for anything, though he has let what Hitler thinks about Jews get to him, because he says that all he deserves is to live in the basement under the stairs. He never complains about anything, the food, or how cold it is. He just takes what he can get.
Alex Steiner is a father of six and owns his own retail shop he is very caring and loyal to his family. He is part of the Nazi Party even though he does not believe in hating all Jewish people. Mr. Steiner is usually a polite man that is not easily aggravated.I have deep sympathy for him for Alex to come back to Germany and see his family all die.
Rudy Steiner is a German boy who has lemon blonde hair and blue eyes. He once met a new girl on Himmel streets during a typical neighbourhood activity of soccer. (Zusak, 47) Rudy was known for not missing a penalty in eighteen shots. However, the new kid Liesel somehow blocked his goal. Rudy was greatly astounded of this new girl. Shortly he expressed his impression of this girl by throwing a muddy snowball at her face. Rudy is one of those types of boys who fantasizes himself being with a cute chick, which in this case Liesel is that cute chick. Rudy often asks Liesel for a kiss in return for favours but would be sadly turned down, such as the time when Rudy challenged Liesel to a 100 meter race. "'Hundred meters,' he goaded her.’ I bet you can’t beat me.' Liesel wasn’t taking any of that. 'I bet you I can.'... 'If I beat you, I get to kiss you.'" (Zusak, 53) Another attempt was made when Rudy rescues Liesel's book 'The Whistler' after it was thrown into an icy cold river. (Zusak, 303) Although Rudy has failed to receive a kiss from Liesel the strong friendship they had was good enough for Rudy.
Rudy was best known for painting his face black with charcoal, he was running around an empty track while imitating a famous Black American athlete named Jesse Owens. Jesse Owens achieved worldwide fame after winning four gold medals at the 1936 Summer Olympics. Rudy and Jesse Owens have similar traits. Jesse Owens, a coloured American went to the Olympics knowing that Hitler would be there. The presence of Hitler did not frighten him. His decision of entering the race was an independent decision. Jesse Owens appears to be like one of those people who didn’t allow anyone to get in the way of his dreams. (Zusak, 56) This characteristic is comparable to Rudy’s, as when he went to the Hitler Youth Olympics and won three gold medals. Rudy was aware of his instructor Franz Deustcher, who tormented Rudy at Hitler youth was attending this special event. Nevertheless he did not let this knowledge deter Rudy from entering the race. Instead Rudy wanted to blow Deustcher away by winning three gold medals, exactly like Jesse Owens did when he blew away Hitler by winning all four gold medals. (Zusak, 363)
Rudy dies in an air raid at the end of this novel and finally receives his first kiss from Liesel on his lifeless corpse. This was one of my least favourite events in this novel. The reason being was because one of my favourite characters was taken away by Death and Liesel finally decides to kiss him when he is dead! Rudy Steiner does not deserve to die the way he does. It is not fair for someone with his remarkable running ability, courageousness, charm and intelligence to die by a bombing. Along with not getting a kiss that he requested for several times until after its too late. Even Death feels the same way, “He didn’t deserve to die the way he did” (Zusak, 241)
The character of Hans Hubermann is probably the most surprising character in the book, in my opinion. He is that one character who probably cares maybe a little too much. When you compare him to his wife, he is much more pleasant to be around, considering he isn't calling Liesel names all the time. He cares a lot about the people around him, even if they are Jews. He takes in Max and yes it is because he made a deal with Max's father, but I don't think that he would have sent him away anyways. I think that Hans is one of those guys who just wants peace, and wants the war to be over. Not only is he great for taking Max in and risking his, and his families lives, but he is great to Liesel when she moves in. She has these continuing nightmares of her brother dying, and Hans comes in every night to take care of her. He calms her down by reading to her, even though he is quite tired. The best part is that he never asks for anything in return.
I've started to become attached to Lisel Meminger. When she feels sad or happy I can't help but feel the same way too. When Max Vandenburg is sick, Lisel is there eveyday reading to him and finding him gifts, that shows that she is a caring and loving person. When her friend is sick and shes sad its as if I can feel her pain. Lisel is strong charcter in this book she went through a lot. Her brothers death and her mom leaving her at some strangers house and never coming back. If I were to have a mother like Rosa Hubermann, that would yell at me for no reason, I think I would go to my room every night and cry.
Hans Hubbermann starts to become a very interesting character in this novel. In the beginning I thought he was just there to fill a spot up as a character, but later into the novel he starts to become a very complex character, if you ask me. Hans keeps on building new character traits through out this book. He is a very calm character, i think that because in the beginning he was real nice to Liesel and tried doing the best for her all the time. He is loving because him and Liesel connect in a lot of different ways. He really cares about other people, people that he does not even know. One thing i remember is on page 394 when he gave bread to a stranger that is part of the jewish parade.
Liesel Meminger is the main character of this novel. Her mother Paula Meminger gave up her two children to foster care. Although Liesel's younger brother dies on the way to there new foster care home which has a huge affect on Liesel. Her foster father, Hans Hubermann, taught her to read and write at the late age of 11, and while she remains behind in school. She shows dedication to learn. I think Liesel is a very interesting character in this novel because she shows passion for reading and writing. She also is a tomboy because she likes to play soccer with the guys.(Rudy)Her and her stepfather Hans Hubermann have a very lovable relationship they really have a great bond between each other. It shows that you can be friends with your children, all you need to have is some common interests and a great personality.
Rosa Hubermann is really beginning to get on my nerves in this story. Despite the fact that Liesel is doing her best help Rosa, and she listens quite well, Rosa is still very rude to her. “Saumensch, you’re useless aren’t you?” (page 244). I like the relationship that Liesel and Max have though. They have become very close, and they even share their dreams with each other. Rudy: “Do you like him?” Liesel: “Do you?” Rudy: “I think he’s a complete bastard”. Liesel: “Me too,” (page 275). I think that Liesel and Rudy describe Victor completely here. He is a total jerk to Liesel and Rudy, and he is very greedy. He has everything that he needs to live a good life at home, yet he is still out stealing things from other people who don’t have as much.
I really like the character Tommy. He is always so cheerful and innocent, and I always feel bad for him because he is always getting in trouble. Rudy is always there for him though. Especially during Hitler Youth, when Tommy gets in trouble because of his hearing problems. Rudy is a devious character and a good actor though, when it comes to food. Despite his devious side though, he is willing to do anything for his friends, such as jump into the freezing river to retrieve a book for Liesel, or to run laps of the grounds in Hitler Youth with Tommy.
Ilsa Hermann's character is a quiet and distant woman, but she has a kind heart. At first, she seemed a bit scary to Liesel, because Ilsa saw Liesel steal her second book, and Liesel was scared she would be told on. But as Liesel got to know her, she saw a different person. Ilsa Hermann opened her doors and her heart for Liesel, and let her come in to read in her library. Even when the Hermanns fired Rosa, and Liesel was very angry at Ilsa, she somehow found it in her heart to forgive her. The pull of reading the books was too strong, and Liesel could not hate someone who had been so generous with her. So Liesel made a great friend of Ilsa Hermann, and I think this friendship was important for Liesel to continue reading even when she thought she was losing everyone important to her, like her papa going to war and Max leaving. Also, when Liesel tells Ilsa she will punish herself by not going to her library anymore, Ilsa gives her one last book, without any words, so Liesel can write her own story. This guesture is what saves Liesel's life at the end, which demonstrates how important Ilsa was to this novel. I think Ilsa Hermann is an odd character, but as I found out at the end of the novel, she helped Liesel when everybody else was gone, which was an act of true friendship.
I don't understand why as soon as Max showed up un the Hubermann's kitchen why Rosa Hubermann's attitude and character totally changed. What i mean is she goes from one day being one of the rudest peoeple ever to the next day not swearing as much at Liesel and Hans Hubermann and almost sounding like a half decent person.
Liesel is a 11 year old German girl whose mother has left her with a foster mom and dad. Her brother had died on the way to the foster parent’s house, which is not a easy thing to go through. Once she arrives to their house she doesn't like it at all, she feels alone and scared. But eventually she feels at home and turns into a totally different person. She started as a quiet, lonely, depressed girl. Now she is a happy young girl that loves to play, laugh, learn and enjoy life. The main reason for her major change was her foster dad Hans Hubermann. He made her feel at home and took car of her, Liesel thought of him as a real father and loved him with all her heart. Overall i think Liesel is a great character she changed a lot throughout the book but the author did a great job of doing that. Markus has detailed his characters with great effort and they seem like actual people you would meet in real life. If Liesel was a real person i would love to meet her.
@ Madison That's a very good point. While I thought she changed for the better (the Rosa at the beginning was almost intolerable) I do agree it seemed an awfully quick change of heart. Yes, characters do change, and develop, and I think that one think Zusak does well is develop his characters, but people do NOT change so drastically overnight.
I don't really like Liesel. She has anger issues, she's selfesh and she's a thief. Just because she only stole one book at a time, doesn't make it okay. The mayors wife told Liesel that she could come anytime she wants, just use the front door. But after screaming at her, Liesel didn't have the guts to face Ilsa, so she snuck around. Also, Liesel lashed out on other children in her school. She beat a boy senseless. Liesel also yelled (yelled being an understatement) at Ilsa. Liesel thought that Ilsa was betraying her, but she didn't realize that Ilsa owed her nothing. She was just pouting because she wasn't going to be able to go to the library any more and she was jelous of the fact that the mayor had more money than her. Lastly, whenever Liesel came to a new house, she would refuse to wash herself. And that's just gross!
Liesel is a very curious and a kind hearted character. She is curious because she is eager to know everything and does things without anyone knowing that she did something, until she says something about it herself. Liesel is a 11 year old German girl whose mother left her with foster parents. The foster parents she is living with right now are really kind people especially Hans. Liesel is a really strong young girl because when she was on her way to her foster parents house her brother died on the way their, it did affect her personally but not so much that she will have problems for her life. She is real willing because the time she lived in people didnt get a proper education, but she was determined. Hans started teaching Liesel to read at the age of 11, she was getting better at reading and writing but slowly. Liesel is also a active little girl because she goes to play soccer with other boys. She is also real helpful, when Max gets sick she would help him everyday by going to his and giving him gifts and reading to him
@ Madison No kidding. Rosa was my least favourite character and then as soon as Max presents him self in the book, she changes hugely. I think it’s because she sees this man who is completely helpless and has absolutely nothing, she can’t help but feel poorly. They already have so little and yet they take in another mouth to try and feed.
While we got to know Liesel foster parents, Rosa Hubermann shocked me with her vuglar language that she used towards Liesl and her husband Hans. I do not understand why she would want to call her new daughter a Saumensch which meaning means "pig girl". I could never imagine my mother calling me names with such vial meanings. Rosa is one of my least favorite characters. I understand that that she is a working Germany woman but does anyone have an opinion on why they think she call Liesel and Hans these rude names?
When Max shows up on 33 Himmel street, Liesel hid behind her papa and seemed to be afraid of Max. Later on they tell each other about their nightmares and they seem to connect somehow. On Liesel's birthday Max apologizes that he didn't get her a present, but Liesel hugs him anyways. Max was touched and made her a book thanking her. They seem to have a deep friendship even though they haven't know each other for very long.
Max Vandenburg is an engaging character that has interested me to read more about him. When we first meet him he is very shy and feels like he has to lower himself when he is around Liesel. He feels that he has to live in the Hubermann's basement and I did not like that Rosa and Hans gave him his wish. Even though he is Jewish I feel as if he should become more confident with himself. Later on he fullfills my wish and starts to communicate with Liesel. They befriend and start to connect with one another. I really enjoyed that Max took the time to make Liesel a comic called the Stand Over Man. He incorporated his appreciation for Liesel for not judging him because he has been judged for being a Jewish man. Max is one of my favorite characters he is very intelligent and creative and shows his generosity with interesting objects and actions.
Max Vandenburg,seems like a very strong character.At first Liesel is intimidated and some what scared of him, but you could tell she was interested in him,and wanted to learn more about him .When the author explains how she would go and watch him while he would sleep, showed that she was curious.And once she goes downstairs, and communicates with Max, and listens to his point of view, you start to realize that Max has been through alot,which makes him strong inside, and even though he's been looked down upon by so many german people, he feels safe around Liesel, and is very honest with her.
@Tiffany Rosa is a tough and well respected lady she likes to feel in power. She likes to run the household and I feel that she tries to accomplish this power by degrading the other people in the house. Now I am do not condone or support the words and the manner in which she uses them only that she has been through a lot and if she chooses to express herself in such a matter than we can do nothing but respect her.
I think, by the end of the book, Rosa redeemed herself a little. She was still rude, and enjoyed to yell at everyone, but seeing how much she loved her family was enough to make me like her more. She cared for Liesel's well being very much, she just had a funny way of showing it. However, in the times it really mattered, she was a very supportive parent and revealed her caring side.
Personally I love the character Liesel. Her ability to describe the weather to Max in such a childish way and then be able to act so maturely about keeping him a secret is very impressive. She is very determined and tough but she cares deeply for everybody. She never takes more than she needs and is great problem solver. Her personality traits vary so much and allow her to relate and touch many different parts of me. Zusak has created a very well rounded character, one that shows me that I can be knowledgeable but still have fun. Not only that, Leisel helped me connect and understand a book on what I believe is a important topic.
I actually really enjoy learning about what Rosa is going to do next. She really does love her family even though she doesn’t show it through her rough exterior. Name calling seems to be a typical event during any regular day, so I don't see it as anything different; because everyone else accepts it, it is deemed acceptable. Liesel and Rudy always call each other names but nobody has really said anything about that. Except that it is cute. But with Rosa it is considered mean. On Page 263 when Liesel comes home after Ilsa has to end the laundry service, Liesel is so mad she has to make other people mad to make them hurt her. She thinks that violence is the answer to make herself feel better and to get her anger out. She begged (in her mind) to be slapped by Ilsa and then when she got home she made up a story to get Rosa to give her a good Watschen. Her life is getting messed up by the drama and the secrets. Rosa didn't give her the Watschen and even tried to tell her that she doesn't believe that she said the mean things and that it wasn’t her fault for them canceling. In the end Liesel had to go downstairs and do many pushups to make herself feel better. Rosa is a very complex character and she obviously loves her whole family. It almost seems like her meanness is a shield to keep out the hurt. She shows that she doesn’t want to get too close because if she does and something bad happens she won’t be able to let go. I really respect Rosa’s character, she has been through a lot and there’s a lot more to come.
Liesel and Max have a very strong friendship now that they have gotten more comfortable with eachother. They care for eachother very much. When max was unhealthy and was sleeping for several days, liesel did not want to leave his side and she read to him 2 sometimes 3 times a day. She collected little gifts for him so when he awoke he would be comforted and feel loved. Liesel is a great friend towards Max and does not judge him. Max is also a great friend towards Liesel. He worked for a week to create a small book for Liesel as a late birthday present. They have connections and similarities like their dreams. They both have nightmares and they talk and share about them. I enjoy reading about Liesel and Max and their friendship.
I complete agree with Shandra. Liesel is an ineresting character that Zusak developed beautifully. I love when she describes the weather to Max because it shows that she cares and is doing something that will make him happy. When she brought in the snow for Max to make a snowman it truely touched my heart. When the whole family started to have fun with the snow inside made me laugh that there finally was something good happening to this family. Hans throwing a snowball as Rosa showed how this family can have fun together, laugh together and how Liesel has made an impact on their lives through small acts of kindness.
While Liesel isn’t perfect, I have to disagree with Amy’s opinion of her. I think what people sometimes forget is that Liesel is very young and has had a traumatic childhood; she’s bound to have issues. She’s had to overcome a lot in her short lifetime, from the death of her brother and separation from her mother, to adjusting to a new life in Molching. Despite all this, she’s grown from this adversity and is mature beyond her years, able to keep a secret as big as hiding a Jew in her basement flawlessly. Yes, she’s become a thief, but her intentions are almost never malicious and she’s still developing. Everyone makes mistakes at her age! Liesel is actually a fascinating character to me because she’s overcome so much in such a short time and though she’s (thankfully) had help with this from her caring foster father Hans and good friend Rudy, she’s still been strong enough to hold herself together. As the main character of the book, eventually even sharing its title, Liesel Meminger was bound to be a unique and dynamic character. And she did not disappoint. I think her maturity and passion (for reading) are astounding for someone of her age. At first she admired Hitler appropriately for a German, but as she unmasked the cruelty of their leader she declared “I hate the Führer, I hate him!” (p. 115) and she accepts Max full-heartedly despite him being Jewish because that does not matter to her. So basically, I found Liesel to be a mature and interesting character who, despite her numerous flaws, had overcome a lot of adversity and whose juvenility pardons her rash behaviour.
Personally I don't know if I would have the strength to keep going if I was Liesel. She is only a 14 year old girl that has gone through so many hard times already. She lost her brother on the way to live with the Hubermanns, her mother left her and Liesel has not heard anything from or about her since, she finally made a friend in Max but had to see him leave because Hans was being paranoid and then she had to see her new dad Hans (who she truly loved and trusted)go into the war. Even after she went through these events, she still is determined to keep a positive attitude about everything and not let anything stop her. I like how Markus Zusak developed Liesel because at the beginning she was a little girl but now she truly has developed into a bigger character. She is only 14 but she dealing with situations like she was an adult.
A very interesting character is Max. He is the jewish man that the Hubbermans are keeping safe in their basement. It is very hard to be jewish in this time because of the Nazi's. They are trying to get rid of the jews because they feel as if they are worthless. Max has always been the guy who wont go down with out a fight. While growing up he loved to be a fist fighter. He is a true symbol of strength. Max is always doing his push-ups to become stronger for the time that he is going to need it. Leisel and Max instantly became great friends. Their friendship would continue to grow throughout this novel. Max basically is stranded in the basement with nothing to do. This is very hard for Max. I am the kind of person that hates being bored so i know how Maz feels. I would never be able to do what he does unless i was fighting for my life. Max is trying to stay alive every day and hoping that the Nazi's dont find out that he is hiding in the basement. First of all he is hiding in a Germans basement, not a very good idea. Max and Leisel continually share their nightmares with each other. Max always has a dream about fighting Hitler. Max believes that these dreams/nightmares might come true one day so he trys to gain muscle to be prepared. By doing all of these push-ups it helps him gain alot of strength. With Max's boredom he makes a book for Leisel. The book contains illustrations called "The Standover Man". This book was about how he is always looked down upon. He is basically saying thank you to Leisel and the family for not treating him with disrespect. It is very hard for Max to feel safe in this house because the Hubbermans are German. From living with them for this period of time he gains trust and respect dfor the family and begins to feel more comfortable in this household. Max is an extrordinary character and the ultimate symbol of strength.
@Taylor I completely agree with your analysis of Max he is a strong and very determined man. He has already been through a lot; he takes his lumps and begs for them to keep coming. This is shown when he has the vision about himself facing Hitler. In this moment he is only focusing on Hitler’s words rather than his actions for he knows man to man he can beat him anytime. But, like many of his time he knows that public voice and action is much stronger than anyone person can ever be. That is why even when he knows he can take Hitler he continues to keep getting stronger and stays dedicated to his training so that if the moment ever did come where he would have to save his back he would be ready and willing to take any challenge that came his way. I also, somehow feel that although Max is not a very educated man he is a smart almost wise man. He knows that kindness and caring are some of the most important qualities that one may have and shows these qualities to anyone that he has ever encountered. In conclusion Max is a fighting man, with good qualities and is overall a very well rounded man, who knows his place and does not dare push the boundaries.
Personally though my favourite character is none other than Mr. Hans Hubermann. He is my favourite character for a number of reasons, one is that he is just so kind and caring for everyone he doesn’t who you are or where you came from he always treats you the same way. Also, he seems to be quite the musician playing the accordion which he learned to play from a fellow soldier in the army. Even after all these years he still feels regret for not going out on that day of battle and being the only soldier to survive and come back home. He even kept his word after all these years that he would help out Mr. Vandenburg and his family. This leads to the coming of Max. Even though Max is a Jew during these war run times, Hans opens up his heart forgets about reality and allows this fine young gentlemen into his basement, while still feeding him and allowing him to come upstairs on rare occasions. Also, he has the biggest heart of anyone I have ever met. Like said by Liesel, “Who else would do some painting for the price of half a cigarette.” Just by this one passage you can see that this one man will do anything and everything to help people out of their misery during these times. Another example of his heart is displayed when he brings home two new books for Liesel’s birthday even though this meant trading away his cigarettes, but making a little girl smile from ear to ear. All in all he is a great man and I wish there had been more people like him around for I feel a group could have turned it all around. Let me know what you think?
@Jordan You make a good point about Liesel and her struggle through everything. But on top of everything I feel that he had to feel these struggles early in life to even live on Himmel Street. Although no child should have to face these challenges this early I feel that it was great that she did in fact face these challenges for she would need to be even stronger in the years to come. Yes, she is a very strong individual, but at the same time she knew no better, she was just an innocent child coming into a scene that was painted with a very tainted brush, she came in at an unfortunate time. Don’t get me wrong she is a very strong character, but she may also have known no better.
Max Vandenberg is a very interesting character. Max is the boy that is being kept in Hans basement in this novel. Max is the son of the man that saved Hans from WW1. Max is a very strong guy because most of the time he tries dealing with things through physical activity.Max becomes best friends with Liesel during the reign of the Nazi's. This time is the hardest time for Max because, Max is forced to hide in the basement, it is really hard for him to hide in the basement because he is having to go through everyday with nothing to keep him busy. If I was suppose to hide in someones basement like that i would literally commit suicide because being in a empty room with nothing to do is probably the most boring thing that could happen to anyone on this planet. But the good thing is that Max is determined to stay in the basement as long as he needs to until the war is over, or at least until the Nazis stop looking for him. Max also has a reason to be worried because he is being hidden in a Germans basement, but the German people who are keeping him in the basement are not the kind of Germans out to kill all jewish people, at this point Max is probably striking pure luck where a German family is hiding him. Max and Liesel have a very good connection with each other, both of them like to share their nightmares with each other. I would not call this one a nightmare but Max has a dream where he fights the Nazi leader Adolf Hitler. If Max calls that a nightmare where he beats someone up, i really cannot say anything about his dreams. So, at this point Max is always doing push-ups believing that his "nightmare" will come true.
Liesel is definitely one of my favourite characters. I think she's very stubborn at times, or just strong-willed. She's caring, especially towards Max because she took care of him so well and she always hopes that he will be alright. Liesel is also extremely brave; she was able and wanted to steal with the boys. When something bad hit home, for example; Hans going to war; she stayed strong even though Rosa fell apart. That shows the strength she has. When her brother and her mom left her, she was devastated but she moved on, and lives happily with her foster family. I wonder how she'd be like if she ended up with a different family though... Would that change anything or everything? I love how Liesel always picks a fight with Rudy and she wouldn't give him a kiss, but as I read on, I started to get the feeling that she has already fallen in love with him. On page 455, I think Liesel was thinking this herself, " kiss him, Liesel, kiss him." She wanted to kiss him, but she didn't want to go back on her words.
My favorite character in this novel would be a character that I enjoyed a lot Hans Hubermann the stepfather of Liesel. When you think of foster parents you wouldn't think of them being loving and caring. This novel shows that when you become a foster child and the conflicts it has when your being raised by people other then your birth mother that some people in your life will try to make things better such as Hans and Rudy and others will try to make it hard. The character of Hans Hubermann is probably the most loving and caring character in the novel, in my opinion. He is the one character thats attaches himself to Liesel. This shows how much passion he has for her and that he really wants to be there for her. When you compare him to his wife Rosa Hubermann, he is much more pleasing to be around. An example of this would be when Liesel has her nightmares he is always there to comfort her and help her go back to sleep. He also teaches her to read and write when she is behind in school. It portrays an image that he really is passionate and sensitive considering the situations she has been throughout her life with her mother leaving her and her brothers death. For example on page 65 where he finds out that she had wet the sheets and carries her to the washroom where he cleans her up. He understands that she wet the bed and instead of getting mad at her he comforted her and helped her how to read. This is why Hans Hubermann is my favorite character it shows that he is caring, loving, understanding, and also kind hearted.
Rosa is kind of a weird character because she really does not do a lot of major things in this novel, if you ask me i do not like Rosa, I don't really think she is a involving character like Liesel, Hans, and Max. Rosa Hubermann is Liesels foster mother. She really loves Liesel but does not show it most of the time. Rosa cusses a lot and is known for being tough. Her most used words are 'saumensch' and 'saukerl'. One thing that i feel like that is a fact is when Rosa swears she tries to hide the softness inside of her, with the showing of her being mean. She does not stay too attached to anyone because if something bad happens to them she won't be able to handle the pain. To conclude this, I would say i should not say she is a bad character because there is probably more to see about her.
Well this is the first time i posted anything so I'm going to pretend like I'm way at the beginning of the novel.
I found that it took till about page 90 until we finally met the characters and had a feel for them, by then we knew that Hans is very caring and empathetic towards Liesel since she came from living a life of poverty, and her brother just died. Hans is always there for Liesel whenever she needs him at anytime of the day and when Liesel doesn't want to do what Rosa Hubermann is asking her too. For example Hans taught Liesel how to roll cigarettes when she didn't want to have a bath, as well he taught her how to read and write although he wasn't the greatest at both himself. Hans is definitely a role model for Liesel and probably my favourite character since he is so laid back and is very loyal to Liesel. Rosa appears as a very rude character and she doesn't fear speaking her mind. As Jessie said she doesn't really show much affection towards Hans or Liesel by always swearing at them and their neighbours. Rudy is another character that is mentioned quite frequently at this part of the book, he is a wacky character since he does lots of stuff without thinking it through first, especially when he went running around a circuit/running track covered in charcoal and pretending that he was Jesse Owens at the Olympics.
When we first got introduced to max i didn't understand why death was talking about this random person that we had no prior knowledge about. Throughout the book though I have grown to like him. I like the way that he just keeps to himself and even though thats what he's supposed to do it just seems like he takes it to another level. I think that i like him so much because of how grateful he is for the Hubermanns services.
Madison I agree with you. Max is very greatful for the Hubermanns and he feels like he doesn't deserve all of the kindness because he is putting their lives in danger. Max was extremely shy at first but as he got to know Liesel mostly, they became good friends.
Hans Hubermann is one of my favourite characters. He is so brave and caring. He is the kind of dad any girl would want to have. In many stories when you hear about foster parents, they are usually not very nice people and are mean to the child or children. Hans is the total opposite. He is such an amazing father to Liesel, teaching her to read and standing up for her when Rosa is not being nice. He is very brave, making the choice to take in Max. He was also trustworthy, because when he made the promise to Vandenburg’s wife, that if she ever needed anything to come to him, and he kept his promise by taking in Max. Hans was a very generous person, painting people’s windows for free to protect them, and giving the Jew a piece of bread. He had made some mistakes, but they were because he wanted to help, and I think that it is really sad that because of his generosity, he had to go to war. I haven’t finished reading the book yet, but I really hope that Hans is able to get home safe from the war and back to his family. He is a really good person, and in my opinion doesn’t deserve to have anything bad happen to him.
I actually admire Liesel's character. Most children now a days have many tantrums when they don't get their way, however Liesel only had one tantrum, and that was when they were trying to persuade her to enter her new home. This really isn't unrealistic seeing as her mother just left and her brother died, she could hardly be expected to take things quietly. Admittedly, she did have some other angry outbursts but none of them were for a childish reason, such as wanting more toys or something. She realised her family was poor and she never asked for more then what was given to her. If she did need more, she took it in her own hands to get what she needed, she didn't depend on anyone. Her strategies, however, for obtaining what she wanted could be debated, but what she stole did not seriously hurt anyone or cause any major trouble. She also seemed to steal only when there was enough. For example, some apples off off a tree filled with apples or a couple books out of a huge library. It doesn't make it right, but at least she wasn't stealing from a poor family that didn't have anything to spare. Also, she handles a crisis very easily. As a child, for most people it would be too much to ask, first of all to go live with another family (with a new mother who enjoys her vulgar language) after your brother dies and mom leaves forever. On top of that, there were other things, like keeping a secret that you're hiding a Jew in a basement. She is very mature for her age, and even being a criminal, she gives off that innocent 'vibe' children seem to have.
Rudy is a very complex character. At the beginning of the book, he seemed like the boy that thought he was all that, and that all the girls wanted him. He was competitive when it came to soccer, and thought that Liesel wanted to kiss him. I wasn’t sure if Liesel would be friends with him, but in the end, they became great friends. They were there for each other through thick and thin, whether it was playing soccer, stealing apples, or stealing books. After his father left for war, it said that Rudy wasn’t the same, and didn’t talk. This made me sad because it shows what having your father leave can do to a young boy. I haven’t finished the book yet so I’m not sure when Rudy dies, but I really don’t want him to die. I think that Liesel needs him, and it’s going to be really hard for her when he dies. Over all, I think that Rudy is a very interesting character.
One character that I really don't like is Rosa Hubermann. I don't care for her because of the way that she treats everyone in her family. i think that it is very unfair and very rude.
Madison I have to disagree. Although at times Rosa may seem rude or angry at her family, she really does love them. Rosa is just one of those characters that express their love in a different way.
I agree with Madison I really dislike Rosa Hubermann she is very rude and mean. I think if she was my foster parent I would run away. In the novel she is very rude to Liesel and her husband Hans. I think the author Markus Zusak portrays her in a rude way because he wants to paint a picture of how some people in your life can be controlling it shows by the way she acts around Liesel and Hans. For example when she always swears at Liesel calling her a Suamensch and an Arschloch. It shows that she doesn't have as much passion for Liesel like Hans does. She doesn't treat her like she is loved in the Hubermann family. It paints a picture in my mind of that she is not wanted in the house. A prime example of how she treats Liesel would be on page 55 where Liesel gets her clothes dirty and says "She's going to kill me" this shows that she is scared of her. It intimidates Liesel when her mother Rosa swears/yells at her. I would have to say that Rosa Hubermann is my least favorite character in the novel because of her actions and her personality traits. She is rude, mean, strict, and violent. I would not think that Rosa Hubermann is a good mother figure for Liesel.
MPanchhi, I disagree with you. Rosa may be controlling and mean but it doesn't mean that she doesn't love Liesel. She may not treat her like Hans does, she just shows her love in an odd way. In any family if a child came home with dirty clothes I wouldn't be surprised if the child was afraid of being killed. That is not an unusual situation because I know it has happened to me as a child and most likely many others. All mothers yell sometimes, just maybe not as much as Rosa. It doesn't mean she is a bad mother. I can agree that Rosa may not be the most ideal mother figure, but she is the only mother Liesel has now, and I believe that Liesel has come to like her.
Liesel Meminger has been an exceptional character throughout the novel. At the beginning her brother died but she was very strong about it. She was decently behaved when she moved into her foster parents house considering she had to leave her mom for a long time. I really enjoyed that she opened up to Hans and was determined to learn how to write and read. She was a bit of a tomboy and a rebel. It's interesting that she had the guts to continually steal the books. I would definitely not have the nerve to do something like that. All of Liesel's connections with people were a really good part of the book. Like with Hans, Max, and Rudy. Her connection with Hans is very intense because he was the first person to connect with her when she moved in. He was the one who taught her to do her favorite thing so he was very inspirational for her. Her connection with Max was like her second brother. I thought it was interesting that a German girl could have such a good relationship with a Jew. I like that she didn't care that he was Jewish even though Germans were forced to hate the Jews. Her connection with Rudy was complex but I thought it was really cute how she kissed him when he was dead. She is also very strong for seeing all of the people she loved die in front of her. I think she is an intelligent girl but really open to learn. I like that about her and it amazes me that she isn't broken down from all the stuff she has gone through. Overall, I enjoy her as a character and her relationships with people has really impacted the story in a positive way.
I liked the character of Ilsa Hermann in this novel. At first you just think that she is just one of those minor characters that really isn’t going to be important at all. After the book burning - where she saw Liesel steal one of the books, she invites her into her own personal library. Of course, knowing the character of Liesel, she could not say no to go into the library and reading all those books, the desire was just to strong to resist. When the Hermann’s fired Rosa Hubermann, Ilsa tried to offer Liesel a book to make up for the fact that he foster moms services were no longer wanted. Of course, Liesel exploded and didn’t take the book form her. She then came once and a while, taking one book from the library at a time. Ilsa of course, left her window open through all of this; even know she knew it was going on. She eventually closed the window and left a dictionary outside for Liesel with a note inside. The note explained that she knew that Liesel was stealing the books and that she wished she would come to the door like a civilized person. (pg. 269) Ilsa Hermann is a really good character in the book, and even more so at the end where she helps Liesel out once everyone else is gone.
Ilsa Hermann is known to be Liesels friend in this novel. They are not best friends, but just normal friends. Ilsa is the person who had seen Liesel steal her second book. Ilsa is known for reading inside her library, so thats one thing that shows she is probably a smart person. I really do not know a lot about Ilsa but she is just a straight forward character who does not have a lot of stuff to express, like Hans does, and sometimes how Liesel does. At one part Ilsa and Liesel's friendship finishes throught the middle of the novel, but at the end they become friends again.
Rosa Hubermann is definitely a character that stuck out for me. At the beginning of the novel, she appears to be a woman who despises everything and everyone. She swears and yells at her foster child and husband, and doesn't seem to care one bit about either of them. When Max comes into the picture, I thought that would be the last straw for her, but that wasn't exactly the case. By the end of the book, her personality completely changes. On page 207, Max says that just eating scraps is fine, but Rosa insists on getting him the best she can make. On page 374, Rosa holds on to Liesel when they're in the shelter and sings her a song. Rosa is strict, but she cares for her family, even though she has a strange way to show it.
Earlier I said that I really despise Isla Hermann, but now I have to take my words back because as I saw more of her, I came to understood that she is actually a very nice woman. The facts like that she did not tell on Liesel, when she saw her stealing the books; that she welcomed her in her house and allowed her to read the book from her library; that she did not tell the police when she saw Liesel’s footsteps on her floor and witnessed that Liesel now stills book from her; that she took Liesel’s insulting words calmly and considered them to really try to change herself; and most importantly that she did not came to hate Liesel after everything that happened between them, but tried to understand the girl and forgive Liesel for her unreserved manners. Isla Hermann deserves to be respected as a good -hearted woman.
I really like Rudy’s character in the novel: his openness, sincerity, trustworthiness, straightforwardness, ability to stand up for himself and even his childish naiveté. He really amuses me, and I really like his relationship with Liesel. He is a friend you want to have: always there when you need him, willing to help, trying to understand and cheer you up. I just really wish that fate was more kind and fair to him…
Another character that stuck out for me was Hans Hubermann, Liesel's foster father. Although he has not known Liesel for a very long time, Hans developed a strong bond between father and daughter by reading books and spending time with her. I think he is a great character because he sticks with what he believes in. He doesn't support the Nazi Party, even though his son hates him for it, and he saves the life of a Jew, even though it puts his life in danger. In the scene where he hands bread to a starving Jew passing through Himmel Street, I think it was brave of him to do something so risky.
Throughout the book I’ve had mixed feelings for the character of Death. My first impressions of Death were that he was going to be dark, heartless, creepy and someone everyone should fear. Though, Zusak portrayed Death in a completely different way. Instead of following all the typical stereotypes of Death, he did the opposite. He gave Death a personality that made him seem like an average guy, someone who could be us. He related characteristics of Death to average people, for example his job. Death has a job that no one else does; he carries away the souls of the dead. He describes this job as stressful, hard, never gets a break, but has to be done. A lot of people can say their jobs are described like that. Also, Zusak gave Death a personality of being likeable, somewhat sympathetic and cynical. This just gives you the impression that Death could be a person like everyone else, just with a different meaning. The last line of the book that Death says in bold is “I am haunted by humans”. This to me was a powerful line and made me think a while after finishing the book. It made me feel sorry for Death because he can never die, no one can replace his job. He constantly has to take the souls of the dead and take them away from beloved family members. He sees thousands of people die each day and it’s never ending. I would think having witnessed many deaths and tragedies of taking souls, Death wouldn’t care so much. After his narration of the life of Liesel Meminger, I was surprised to see that the heartbreaking and fortunate times of her life was enough to see the sympathetic and true personality of Death.
I really like the character Rudy. He can be a cocky, arrogant teenager, but he really was such a sweet boy with so much determination in him. His friendship with Liesel was what caught onto me at first and most people probably already predicted that they would both fall in love, but never had they thought that it would end how it ended in the book. Well I didn't, that's for sure. I liked how he'd always ask Liesel for a kiss, but he never got it and when he did, he wasn't exactly there to witness it. What a shame, I thought. His death did upset me a bit. "How about a kiss, Saumensch?" That was definitely one of my favourite lines in the book. No matter how cold he was or how much dirt engulfed his body, you can count on Rudy to bring up that line. On page 303 Death stated, "In truth, I think he was afraid. Rudy Steiner was scared of the book theifs's kiss. He must have longed for it so much. He must have loved her so incredibly hard. So hard that he would never ask for her lips again and would go to his grave without them." I think what Death said was true. Rudy must have loved Liesel so much, that he didn't want to force or pressure her do something she might not have wanted to do. Liesel on the other hand longed for his kiss, but she wanted Rudy to make the move. In the end, she kissed his cold, empty body that Death had robbed so tearfully. If Rudy didn't die, I think they would've stayed together, but the author killed him off for a reason. Same thing for the kiss too. From the start, maybe Markus had planned for Liesel to be with Max, therefore not allowing her to kiss Rudy when he was alive and taking him out of the book. Her friendship with Max was quite obvious that there was some kind of love between them. She seemed way too heartbroken when Max was gone and that gave her feelings away. Back to Rudy, he also shows his love for Liesel by always trying to be by her side and helping her with all sorts of things. When Liesel stayed at home for four days and didn't come out, Rudy was go and knock on the Hubermanns door everyday and ask if she was alright. Rudy almost always accompanied Liesel when she want to 8 Grande Strasse, or Amper River and just about anywhere. Those short and sweet adventures made them feel more attached to eachother. Rudy was an extremely caring character. He had many siblings and it seems that he did his rightful duties that a brother should. "He lay in bed with one of his sisters. She must have kicked him or muscled her way into the majority of the bed space because he was on the very edge with his arm around her. The boy slept. His candlelit hair ignited the bed..." (Page 531) Rudy died holding onto his sister. (Page 531) Death thought, "Where was someone to alleviate this robbery of his life? Who was there to soothe him as a life's rug was snatched from under his sleping feet? No One. There was only me." Although, nobody was able to give Rudy some sort of item before he died, at least he didn't die alone. Rudy was someone special in this book. You can tell, because he made Death cry.
I really like the relationship between Max and Liesel. They always talk, and it seems like they can basically talk about anything. They always tell each other their dreams, which I think is sweet, and when Max was extremely ill, she would stay by his bed, and bring him little gifts she could find. Although Max has put Liesel’s family in danger by staying there, the Hubermann’s care for him a lot. For example, on page 315, during Max’s sickness, Rosa says to Hans: “I didn’t bring this man into my house to watch him die,” (page 315). They take really good care of him all the time and he has basically become a member of the family. Max is really good at looking for the positive side. Despite all that he’s been through, and that now he is living in a basement, he still manages to find some reason to be happy. For example, on page 313, Max says: “Often I wish this would all be over, Liesel, but then some how you do something like walk down the basement steps with and snowman in your hand,” (page 313). I think that since this story already has such a dark, depressing mood to it, it’s good to have a character with positive thinking, even if he is the victim.
So far, I’m really liking the character Max Vandenburg. He seems like a very easy-going person. For instance, when he was younger, he was always getting into fights, which shows he had a fun (and quite rebellious) side to him. However, when he’s got this “dirty Jew” label thrown on him, and Wolrd War II starts, it forces him to grow up, and makes him realize the important things in life. He becomes extremely grateful and humble of the Hubermann family for risking their lives and letting him hide out in their basement. I have a theory, that maybe he always felt the need to fight with Wenzel because he wanted revenge for his father’s death when he was so young. I mean, obviously Wenzel did not actually kill Max’s dad himself, But possibly Max has some sort of angst in himself that he just so happened to take out on this first guy who wanted a piece of him. And after that, one fight just kind of led onto another.
Like I said, just a theory. It’s how I like to think of it.
As read the book i found myself liking Liesel's character more and more. I liked how she was such a strong girl at such a young age, for example i don't think i would have been able to handle my brother dieing and having to leave my mom all in in one day as well as she did being so young to. She was polite to her family but i didn't like the way she would steal from the mayors wife even though she let her read them for free. I thought Liesel and Rudy were so cute together i think if Rudy had lived they would have dated and gotten married. I liked how Liesel was such a determind young girl from the way she pushed herself until accomplished her goal on being able to read. Liesel seemed very mature for her age but i guess in her situation she kind of had to be.
I really enjoy the character of Rosa Hubermann she was one of the characters that really had caught my attention. I believe the overall idea of her is great, a middle-aged woman who is definetely not afraid to speak her mind seeing almost every sentence she speaks has the word "saumensch" in it. Also the way she parents Liesel, she is very strict and rough with her. Even though she is like this she still loves Liesel and Hans even if she treats them badly, it was just the way the author wanted Rosa to show her love to them. Throughout the book she shows tough love to Liesel but towards the end of the book in the bomb shelter she sung to Liesel. Rosa does love her family but in a tough love kind of way.
To be totally honest, I never really didn’t like Rosa. Because, yeah, she’s horribly mean to Liesel, and pretty grumpy towards everyone else, including total strangers, but you have to understand something. Look at her situation. They’re in the middle of World War II. The economy of Germany is terrible. They’re barely making ends meet as it is. She is basically the only one in the household bringing in money, and still that is hardly enough. She probably feels like she’s the only one really doing anything to help her family stay grounded.
Plus, even nowadays, taking in a foster child isn’t easy.
It also doesn’t help when he husband randomly decides to let a Jew stay in their basement. It’s putting the entire family’s lives in danger. So maybe she feels that all her hard work she’s done over the years is being thrown out the window. And even though Max said he would be okay with just eating scraps, Rosa would feel bad, because he’s already been through so much. So it’s basically just another mouth to feed, which is pretty hard to handle in their economic state.
I think the Character Max Vandenburg is pretty amazing. He basically goes from place to place expecting to either get moved or killed. He's willing to sit there, eat, and sleep without making a sound. He sits in the smallest confined space with no light, doesnt eat for days, and never complains about anything. The one thing that he said that I thought was pretty true was, "Other people are risking there lives to keep me alive and I dont even know who they are."
I think that the character Death didn't stand out in the book. He told the story but it did not feel like he was really a character in the story. I think because his main focus was on the other characters of the story such as Liesel and her new family. He mentioned "I do not carry a sickle or scythe. I only wear a hooded black robe when it's cold. And i don't ahve those skull-like facial features you seem to enjoy pinning on me from a distance." This is about the most that I have read about him so far.
In this novel, the character of Death has been portrayed as a misunderstood being that is the complete opposite of the normal stereotype. The normal stereotype is a emotionless individual with its body cloaked in a black robe holding a scythe. On page 307, it describes itself as not fitting any of those traits. Instead, it tells the reader to find a mirror, hinting at the possibility that Death is just a normal looking being. The very last line of the book, "I am haunted by humans" could mean a lot of things. Humans are haunted by Death, because their last moment could be at anytime. Death however, is haunted by humans, because it always has that job of watching over people, waiting until its time to take their souls.
Hans and Liesel relationship and personality remind me of Scout and Atticus from To Kill a Mocking Bird. Liesel's personality reminds me of Scout In my opinion, Liesel gives of a sort of tomboy persona because her bestfriends are boys,she plays soccer with the all the boys,steals and doesn't seem to act the way a young girl would back in those says. Hans and Atticus seem similar to me because, Hans is not strict about what Liesel does,and lets her explore and find out things for herself, he also gives good advice and is there for her when she needs help.This reminds me of Scouts and Atticus relationship.
Kelly, I totally agree with you. Rosa is doing the best that she can with what is put in front of her. Of course Hans could help out more. He is a really good father figure to liesel, and he treats her as she should be treated but she could probably do without as much as she has. Hans could go get a job and make more money to help out with them or even learn a new trade to help with the money problem. If he actually joined the nazi party would they have been in a better state of shape. ?
One of the characters I found most interesting was the character of Ilsa Hermann. She is a very well rounded person, although she has a very bleak and dull personality she is still a caring woman. Even in a tough war run time, she sees that Liesel shows some hope and strives to be the best possible person she can be. Although, Ilsa knows that Liesel is stealing from her, she can over look this so that Liesel can continue on with her reading. She only wishes that Liesel would knock on the front door, and stay awhile if only brief, so that they can share some days together as they did when Liesel used to come for the Mayor’s Wife’s cleaning. I also, feel for this character because of the loss of her son. She leaves the window open every day hoping that if nothing else her son’s spirit will return. All in all she seems to be a great woman and a great contributor to the story.
While I was thinking about my favourite characters, two came up specifically. Death and Rudy. I really think death is a character because he is active in everything, even though he cannot talk with the characters. I also think it would be really cool if death could interact with leisel. Rudy is also my favourite, because hes just so cute. He's such a good friend to Leisel and I really wish that they ended up being more than friends before it was too late. It's not fair that he died.
To me Max was an unusual character because despite his strength, both mental and physical, he was fragile. Even in his youth he was strong-willed and got into fist fighting, and that inner strength hadn’t yet died out when we met him. He was also physically strong, as demonstrated by his exercising in the basement. “Three sets each of sixteen push-ups and twenty-two sit-ups” (p. 250-251) is not bad – more than I could do :) – and certainly impressive for someone who doesn’t eat much. Likely this muscle came from his childhood fighting. However despite these attributes, he’s let the Führer’s words get to him, and sees himself as inferior and worthless as Hitler made Jews out to be. He told the Hubermann’s he didn’t mind hiding in the basement and even said the area set-up for him down there was “Better than I deserve” (p. 208) Max was nevertheless a very caring and thoughtful person, a good friend and almost like a brother to Liesel. As Hans pointed out, the two had much in common. Both suffered from nightmares, were strong-willed and were intelligent and mature, though not without some exceptions to the mature part. I think these similarities, and most importantly these mutual “flaws” brought them closer together because they were able to truly understand each other’s issues and help them work through it. I really liked Max as a character and wished that things had worked out better for him, though I did really enjoy the scene between him and Liesel during the so-called parade, even if it was a little sad.
I think Max is a very interesting character. He is strong and has drive and thats what I like most about him. He pushes himself to be strong by doing his push-ups everyday incase one day he does get his match up with Hitler in the boxing ring. He knows one day this will be one and he will be back with his family but until that day he will stay in the cold basement of the Hubermanns.
At the beginning, I didn’t like Rosa Hubermann because she was rude and ruthless, with vulgar words such as Saukerl and Arschloch streaming out of her mouth 24/7, often directed at the people most important to her. Though even then I was not fully adverse to her character because I knew, as Death said, that “she did love Liesel Meminger. Her way of showing it just happened to be strange.” (p. 35) As I read further into the book, I realised the Hubermann family was not exactly prosperous; lower-middle class at best. Life was not easy for them, with money being tight and food being even tighter, and they ate Rosa’s putrid pea soup almost every night. I decided then that Rosa used her improper and rude behaviour as a defence mechanism against her problems in the same way people often use humour to distract themselves from what’s really going on. Like a hard candy with a gooey centre, I think deep down Rosa had a really big heart and was in truth a good mother, but she put up a rough exterior to keep others at bay. Max’s arrival however, bit into this hard shell and cracked “the human wardrobe”. After they agreed to hide Max, Rosa became a much more caring, motherly figure, showing her love for Liesel, Hans and even Max in a much more typical fashion. This Rosa I enjoyed a whole lot more, for obvious reasons and while some could argue that her change was uncharacteristic, I believe that she was always truly like this at her core, but was kind of putting on an act at the beginning (perhaps to show Liesel who was boss and establish a sense of obedience into her?) When Hans left for war, we saw a more vulnerable, emotive Rosa and I think the moment when Liesel caught her sitting awake hugging the accordion that I realised there was more emotional depth to her than I had thought. Like Death said, “Make no mistake, the woman had a heart. She had a bigger one than people would think.” (p.532)
Max is a strange character that views the world differently than others. For example he has daydreams of the fight between the Nazi's and the Jews as a boxing match between Hitler and himself. The referee says that if Hitler begins to lose, he will turn away and let Hitler do whatever it takes to beat him. This is just like Hitler mistreating the Jews, the people turn their heads and pretend not to care. In the boxing match Hitler makes a speech to the spectators (which represent all the German people) about why the Jews are so awful and that everyone should join together to defeat them. Max describes that could feel the fists of the entire nation, this is important because that is how all of the Jews felt at the time.
I know! I really wanted them to be together too, but it seemed like the author didn't want that to happen. It was so saddening, because it felt like he purposely built up their relationship and then ended it so quickly. At first, I had mixed feelings whether she loved Rudy or Max, but I think she loved both of them.
@Ryan Regocki, I completely feel the same, and I think that Hans Huberman recognises this in the novel since he is such a loving and understanding man. Although Liesel does not understand it, I think Hans helps her get through it even though he doesn't explain this to her completely.
About the boxing match between Max and Hitler, it was saying how hitler was winning and Max was getting beaten but then when he told Liesel about the dreams she asked who would win and Max said that he won. I was confused when i read that.
Liesel and Max had a very close relationship with eachother. They haven't known eachother very long but they were each able to let the other one in. When Max had to leave the Hubermann's basement, you could tell that Liesel was very sad and disappointed. She truly did care about Max. After Max was gone for a while and they hadn't heard back from him in a while, Hans and Rosa gave up hope a little bit because they knew that the odds weren't the greatest. But Liesel who as a child didn't completely know the severity of the situation continued to believe and look for Max. When she finally found Max in the parade of Jews, you could feel Liesel's excitement but when he was taken away again there was definately saddness. Max and Liesel both cared about eachother the same way because neither one of them gave up hope in finding the other, no matter the situation.
I agree with Jordan. I think Max's and Liesel's relationship makes this book and gives an interesting spin on a German and Jewish friendship during this time. From the beginning when Max made The Standover Man for Liesel's birthday really started off there realtionship and it kept growing from there. As Liesel started to get to know Max more and get more comfortable with him being around the house made the relationship like a brother/sister relationship. When Liesel started finding old newspapers for Max to read really showed ho she was thinking about him. Then when she started discribing the weather to Max and bringing the snow inside to make a snowman showed how they can have fun together. I love this relationship and i think Max has a place in Liesel's heart where he brother was.
I’d say that Hans Hubermannn is my favorite character in this book. He is always there for Liesel, in the middle of the night and when she gets hurt or needs help. Hans is a quiet, kind and caring man. Whenever his silver eyes are mentioned, I think of a liquid silver paint, but the color is in his eyes and it is light up with life. Liesel says “I hate the Futher…I hate him.” at the end of page 115, then Hans slaps Liesel in the face on beginning of page 116. After reading this I was so surprised that it had happened and I thought that maybe that I had made it up, so I reread that part. When I understood, I imagined how hard it must have been for Hans to do this. Even though he himself does not like the Futher, he had to do or say something because someone could have heard Liesel say this and it would have lead to be a very different story. I don’t think that Liesel would want any other person for father, just the loving Hans Hubermann.
Rosa Hubermann is a character who loves to swear and call people “filthy pigs”. She is very aggressive towards her husband and to Liesel. If my mom was calling me a filthy pig I don’t think I would be able to take it as lightly as Liesel does. I think that through all the toughness that Rosa put out she is really a good mother to Liesel, and we have seen her break down a few times throughout the book. Like during the first bombing, which turns out to be a false alarm. She tells Liesel to come to her and grabs hold of her hand, and then later on Liesel has to tell her mama to loosen her grip because she is squishing her hand. Also when the mayor’s wife Ilsa Hermann gives Liesel the note to give to her mama saying they can’t pay for the washing anymore, and Liesel says that it was her fault that Ilsa was stopping the washing. Rosa does not believe her because she knows that Liesel would do something. She knows that Liesel is a good kid and her mama loves her too. Even if it is demonstrated through a watschen.
I'm not quite sure on how I feel about Liesel. Even though she's the main character and all, nothing about her really sticks out to me. She doesn't annoy me nor excite me. She just kind of...is. She doesn't really seem to have that much of a personality to me, just kind of a go-with-the-flow kind of person. Just your typical, curious, yet slightly rebellious little girl.
@Jordan I totally agree with you even during the time that Max left the Hubermanns because of fear that the Nazi or someone might find him. Liesle had hope, and she strongly wanted to believe that he was ok. She would always go check if he was among the Jews marching through the streets, in hopes that he was still alive (page 509). I also could tell how happy and exited Liesle was when she saw Max was still alive, and her disappointment was quite evident too when Max was taken away. I also agree with you, pn the fact that both Max and Liesle cared about each other and their hopes and determination to find each other again proves that. For instance Max came looking for Liesle at the end of the war which shows he also deeply cared about her (page548).
I'm going to disagree with about half of the people on here.
I actually like Rudy.
I think it's cute how it's just your classic elementary school crush. And I think that his oblivion to Liesel's actual life is a little ironic. Because he's all like, “Ohh, Liesel! Kiss me!”, but yet he's all into the “Heil Hitler” thing, and she's become good friends with a Jew that she's hiding in her basement. I can't help but wonder how he would look at her differently if he knew about her secret.
And his little obsession with Jesse Owens is kind of nifty, too. Because, like someone previously stated (I forget who, sorry!), Jesse Owens was pretty brave going to the Olympics when her knew Hitler would be there. And back then, African American people weren't really accepted too well. So Rudy finds him as a role model, I think he'd be a good influence, and the charisma suits Rudy very nicely.
I think that almost everyones favourite character from this book is Hans Hubermann. He is definitely my favourite character from the book, and it seems as if he makes it worth reading more of since he is such a positive person.
Throughout a majority of the book he is so kind and caring to everyone, from staying up late with Liesel in her times of need, to taking in a jew to live in his basement, and most of all giving a piece of bread to a Jew on his way to the concentration camp. Which in the end he got punished for and suffered regret since this caused Max to leave out of paranoia that the Gestapo would come to search the house.
I think Hans Hubermann is mainly everyones favourite character because we all have someone like him in our lives or wish we did. Plus it is so easy to relate to him it seems like a majority of his decisions are exactly what the reader wants. Throughout the book there is really no wrong decision he makes and I think this is what Zusak is trying to communicate through his character. Through the way he acts he taught Liesel to be the same way and after awhile it seems as if Liesel just forgets about her life before the Hubermanns as if this is how it always was.
The only time Hans hubermann really changes is when Max leaves and feels really guilty, on many occasians Liesel is caught comforting her step father and saying what he did was right and it would all be fine. At that point in the book I felt really involved, it was too bad that Max had to leave and in the end no Gestapo came to search the house. So the guilt on Hans increased that much more and really changed his character.
I believe that Liesel was a great character in this story. She really matured throughout the whole story even though she was really young. From the time she stepped into the Hubermann’s household I knew that she was going to be a very interesting character. Rudy was also a great character he was a great friend of Liesel's. He was an all round character he had everything he was smart and athletic. He won a lot of sports events such as the 1500, 400, and 200 meter races. Also he was very good in soccer and once had an 18 goal penalty streak as written on page 47, he rarely missed. Rudy showed that he had a soft side inside of him when he was angry that his father didn't come back and Liesel's did. Max was a great guy he really understood the fundamentals about life and never complained about anything. He was truly a great character that would be an amazing person in real life. He wrote books for Liesel and appreciated everything that was given to him. He never got mad and was always optimistic about everything. He was also very brave and was a true friend to Liesel. At the end of the novel I really like the part when the both hugged each other and didn't let go knowing that the soldiers would come and whip them. This symbolized that there friendship was truly unbreakable. Rosa was a character who always didn't show her soft side but, when Hans was sent away it all came out. She was seen by Liesel holding her husbands accordion while crying, and praying for him. Hans was a great father figure for Liesel; he always encouraged her and tried to make her happy every time he could. He always backed her up in her arguments and read to her when she was scared at night. He helped her gain literary skills and was a great father for her to have. Finally Ilsa really understood Liesel's feelings and let her steal from her library. She always wanted Liesel to have a good life and helped her improve her reading skills by letting her read whenever she came over.
Liesel is quite the character. When I started reading the book I made the mistake of jumping to the conclusion that Liesel was weak, small and quiet. Of course it was the beginning of the book and I should have thought almost nothing at all because we had received so little information about her. She developed into a sweet and innocent character, and I quite like her. I like the way she looks at events and then approaches them in a way I would not have look at before. She is constantly surprising me with her actions. Like when Liesel beat up Ludwig Schmeikl on page 78 for calling her names, but she takes it from her mama without a wince. Later on it was on page 262 when Liesel goes back to the mayors’ house and yells at Ilsa for the letter to her mama about the washing and her own reasons and throws the book at her feet. Then later on, Liesel goes and steals the book back from the mayors’ house. Even though the book is called The Book Thief, I never thought that Liesel would actually go into a house and take something, and do it to the same person numerous times. I am a bit disappointed that she would think revenge was the best after yelling at Ilsa when she was saying they could not afford the washing anymore. The nerve of her! After this event, my idea of Liesel being a sweet innocent girl changed. She was now the strong, caring, and open minded character she was meant to be in the beginning and I was finally able to read the book without guessing at her character every few chapters.
The first time we were introduced to Rudy, I thought he was going to be another pain in the story that was going to cause Liesel trouble. As it turns out he is just like an elementary school boy. I think he is very enthusiastic and has a positive outlook on most events. He has a good friendship Tommy and some other boys that he plays soccer on the street with, but the friendship he has with Liesel is different. It’s a strong friendship and they understand each other. It helps too that Rudy has a “crush” on Liesel, I think that it is cute and just adds a bit of drama between the two of them. When Liesel arrives on Himmel Street, she feels lots and alone. Then Rudy comes along and it all starts with a soccer game and a snowball, and grows from there. Liesel is lucky to have a friend as good as Rudy, and I would like to have him as a friend too.
I agree that I also thought Rudy was going to be annoying and just cause trouble, but Zusak turned him into a positive person in Liesel's life. He helps her out and it makes the story more enjoyable to read and gives you a break from all of the depressing things going on in Liesel's life.
When Max showed up on Himmel Street at number 33, I was thinking that the Hubermanns were going to get caught with a Jewish man in their basement. I guess it was the state that Max was in when he arrived, but I felt that I was in the book, watching this fragile man collapse in the kitchen. I was terrified for Liesel, the Hubermanns, and for Max. Although I don’t really like his character all that much. He seems like a haunting presence in the house, a being that puts everyone inside at risk every minute of the day and night. The whole time I was at a certain level of discomfort with Max, and then he left. Gone from the house and there was no more jeopardy, but the discomfort did not leave me alone. I suddenly realized that it was not Max that was causing my uneasiness, it was the fact that these people that are so kind were putting the little they had at stake to help the son of a man who saved a life. I am amazed by the kindness of the Hubermanns and that they opened themselves up to taking in another mouth to feed, another person to care for and a big secret to hide is incredible. What would you do if a stranger showed up in your home and asked you to hide them?
One of the most interesting characters in the novel is Rudy Steiner. My first impression of this young man was that didn't really care what anybody else thought, and he was very ambitious to complete the current that he may have come up with at the moment. One thing I noticed was that he wasn't racist and he was more of a, "Don't judge a book by it's cover," kind of guy. I liked when he was trying to be Jesse Owens (The Black Olympian) so he covered himself black so that he could look like him, and be more in character at that point in time(page 60). This told me that unlike many people at that time and place Rudy didn't care whether you were black or a Jew. Rudy was a quite the example for polite young people all around him and a great friend to Liesel. He had proved that throughout the book by, accompanying her to take the washings, playing with her, and even stealing apples and other fruit/vegetables with her. I like how this shows how far a boy would go out of his way to make a good friend feel comfortable around them in the timeframe.I also like how it hints at the fact that he has a little crush on her in so many ways which makes you keep guessing if he'll ever will, "Get the girl," until death shares the sad information of Rudy's untimely death. Rudy was also a boy with many key supporting character roles which he acted and took part in at different times in the book.He knew how to push Liesel's buttons, keep quiet when he wanted to and even throw a rock at a boy for no reason. I find that the author did a great job at developing this character but yet concealing this characters true thoughts. One other thing that I'd like to add is when Rudy popped into the chapter I couldn't wait to see what little adventure would be next.
The relationships between characters and the way they were developed played a huge role in how we perceived the story. By developing the characters in a way that we were able to connect with them, it maintained the element of history while making it engaging and even more interesting. When I look back, most of the characters personalities were quite exaggerated. Rosa was always in a bad mood, and cursed whenever she could; Hans was like a perfect father who was always there for you; Rudy was constantly a cocky but charming boy, etc. Usually, in real life, while a person may hold these characteristics, it's never quite so exaggerated. For example, for years since Liesel came to live with them Hans never got a proper night sleep. I think that Markus Zusak did a great job in making these characters realistic even when their personalities would generally not be natural. In fact, it never even occurred to me until later on how absurd some of the characters were. Liesel, on the other hand, was one of the more balanced characters in my opinion. Possibly the one over exaggerated element of her would be her ability to cope with major events. Even so, she had her flaws and her strengths. She was behind in school and had a few angry outbursts, but she also had strong beliefs, beliefs against mass killings of Jews. I believe that Zusak made this story come to life through his characters. By introducing the characters slowly he was able to make normally unrealistic personalities alive and believable. I felt a connection with the characters, and even recognizing that they are not real and just part of a book, I found myself hoping that they would be okay and survive. What is also important is how Zusak did not write his story around what he thought his readers would want to hear. The ending was not particularly happy, and almost all of Liesel's loved ones perished during an air raid. However, letting Max and Liesel survive made it bearable. I don't think that Zusak concentrated very much on how Liesel dealt with all the deaths at the end because he had already developed her so well that the readers were able to be left alone to picture what was going on. This also added a rather interesting element of the story. We were left to create part of the book our self in our heads, we weren't told everything. This, I think, helped me connect with the book, plot, and characters even more.
I agree with you, each character it seemed was given a set path of what they were supposed to act like and never really changed throughout the novel. Which in real life would not be realistic at all, no one ever stays the same forever people are constantly changing. It is impossible for Rosa always to be angry every once in awhile she sort of was happy but it usually didn't last long and then, the only time Hans changed was after he felt really guilty in causing Max to have to leave he became depressed and not as enjoyable of a character. The only character that I feel changed throughout the book was Liesel, at the beginning she was very shy and insecure and didn't want to do much with her new family, then she slowly became happier and more comfortable with her new family. She was constantly changing throughout the book and adapting to her surroundings.
I agree with you but the fact that each character didn't change didn't mean that much to me. I think people can remain the same if they chose to it's just there choice how they want to act around certain people. I think the author portrayed this in a way because he wanted to show the readers how it was during the World War II. It showed how some people would not change there ways or beliefs just because someone wanted them to.
I so admire the character Max. He was such a genuinely nice person, despite everything he went through. He was forced to leave his family, sleep in a warehouse with very little food, he had to make a dangerous journey all alone and he had to live in a basement for 2 years. He endured so much pain and discomfort, and lived in fear for probably almost as long as he could remember. But he was still friendly and kind, and he even befriended Liesel. Then, one of the last times we hear from him, he does something completely selfless. He just leaves. He has to leave for a few days anyway, just in case the Hubermann’s basement was searched after Hans fed the Jew. But instead of waiting at the designated spot and then returning, he just left. It hurt the Hubermanns to have him gone, but it was the most selfless act I saw in this book. He left so as not to put them in any more danger.
I agree with you Max is a very interesting character in the novel. He has a different personality despite the things he has gone through. Max is a different character that portrays the world differently then others that have gone through the same things as he did. He dreams about the fight between the Germans and Jews as a boxing match as if Max and Hitler were battling in the ring head to head. He thinks that the referee says that if Hitler begins to lose, he will turn away and let Hitler do whatever he wants to Max. This is an example of how everyone in Germany lets Hitler mistreat the Jewish people. It shows that people in Germany did not care about the right thing and did not stick up for it. If the German people stood up for what was right the war between the Germans and Jewish people would have not gone for such a long time and many lives good have been saved. It showed that people were afraid of Hitler and they did not want to die for the Jewish people so they tired to save themselves and listen to Hitler. Which shows the complications Max had to go through with his life leaving his family and living in poverty in a warehouse with very little food. Max is a very strong willed and unselfish character in the novel. Max has gone through a lot in his life in the novel and the author portraying him as an unselfish character just made the book more better to read for me it brought me closer to the book and wanted me to keep reading it.
I was kind of surprised when Hans gave a loaf of bread to a jew. It showed that even if it definitely the wrong thing to do at the time he showed a sense of compassion. I think he knew what he was doing when he did it. When liesel asked him why he did it, i think he only said that he didn't know because he didnt want to seem so caring about the Jews.
I had already mentioned this in one of my blogs in Themes, but I really do like Death. Assuming it is a guy, I love his sarcasm and wittiness. It actually slightly keeps me wanting to read the book. I find him more interesting than all the actually characters in the story, other than Max Vandenburg.
Rosa Hubermann is very strict in my opinion. Throughout the book she acted tough and not so comforting. When Liesel comes into the family she wasn't very comforting to her. Hans Hubermann was the one who basically became Liesel's best friend. When Liesel spent some of the change that was supposed to be used for food, clothing and shelter Rosa found out quick because she was smart and witty. She then slapped Liesel with the wooden spoon that she showed her to not be tempted to mess up delivering and picking up the laundry. I think this was the right thing because Rosa needed this money to keep the family going. Liesel never listened therefore the outcome was a smack. This concludes that Rosa is mean and strict but keeps her family together.
Hans Hubermann was a very loyal and caring character. He and Liesel had a very strong bond. When Hans and Rosa first took in Liesel they didn't really talk. But when Liesel first wet her bed Hans took off the sheets and discovered a book under the mattress. The book was called The Gravedigger's Handbook. You would imagine that Hans would be thinking something along the lines of "Why in the world would this girl be reading a book like this." But instead he said "Do you know how to read this" Liesel responded "Yes", but Hans really knew she couldn't. He took time out of sleeping just to teach Liesel how to read. Hans even sold his cigarettes just to get Liesel 2 books for Christmas. Also when Max moved in he didn't care that he was a Jew, he just wanted to help even though it was very risky to do so. This shows that Hans Hubermann was very caring and loyal.
Rudy was best known for painting his face black with charcoal, he was running around an empty track while imitating a famous Black American athlete named Jesse Owens. Jesse Owens achieved worldwide fame after winning four gold medals at the 1936 Summer Olympics. Rudy and Jesse Owens have similar traits. Jesse Owens, a coloured American went to the Olympics knowing that Hitler would be there. The presence of Hitler did not frighten him. His decision of entering the race was an independent decision. Jesse Owens appears to be like one of those people who didn’t allow anyone to get in the way of his dreams. (Zusak, 56) This characteristic is comparable to Rudy’s, as when he went to the Hitler Youth Olympics and won three gold medals. Rudy was aware of his instructor Franz Deustcher, who tormented Rudy at Hitler youth was attending this special event. Nevertheless he did not let this knowledge deter Rudy from entering the race. Instead Rudy wanted to blow Deustcher away by winning three gold medals, exactly like Jesse Owens did when he blew away Hitler by winning all four gold medals. (Zusak, 363)
In the beginning of this novel, Liesel was introduced by Death as “The Book Thief” (Zusak, 8). The reason why Death labels Liesel as the book thief is because Liesel steal books throughout this novel. At first Liesel snags a book from a cemetery called “The Grave Digger’s Handbook”. This book is a how-to book for cemetery employees. It was also a book that Liesel learned how to read with under the guidance of her foster father, Hans. The Grave Digger’s Handbook is a little reminder of the last time she saw her 6 years old brother and her mother on the train. “****The Book’s Meaning**** 1. The last time she saw her brother. 2. The last time she saw her mother.” (Zusak, 38) Liesel's brother's death inspired many significant events that set the novel's plot in motion. Liesel continues to steals more than a few books such as the Shoulder Shrug, Mein Kamf, the Whistler and lastly the Dream Carrier. It was also mentioned that she desires to steal books as supposed to requesting to borrow them. As she demonstrated her preference as she stole the Whistler. “It was the book she wanted. The Whistler. She wouldn’t tolerate having it given to her by a lonely, pathetic old woman. Stealing it, on the other hand, seemed a little more acceptable. Stealing it, in a sick kind of sense, was like earning it.” (Zusak, 287) This is an act of rebellion that could have been dangerous for her. Therefore she was given the nickname the Book Thief.
Liesel was 9 years old when her mother was forced to give up her two children to foster care and Liesel's younger brother died on the way there. She later arrived in a small town called Molching and moved in with her new foster parents, Hans and Rosa Hubermann. The sudden death of her younger brother still traumatized Liesel which was later comforted by Hans. Hans preoccupied Liesel by teaching her how to read books. Before long Liesel had fallen in love with words and books. With the help of her foster father and Liesel’s passion for reading, she soon fulfilled her goal which was finishing The Grave Digger’s Handbook (Zusak, 85).
Liesel once met a boy with lemon hair named Rudy Steiner, on Himmel streets during a typical neighbourhood activity of soccer. (Zusak, 47) At first, Liesel and Rudy are just mere acquaintance or neighbours. They live down the street from each other and occasionally cross paths at school and on the streets. They also played soccer and other games outside as well. Later as their friendship progressed they started to do almost everything together, this included being hungry together in which they decided to steal foods from farmers. They were tired together after running and avoiding being caught. They were in trouble together, stealing together, scheming together, being happy and carefree together and even rebelling against the local service requirements together. These are example of rebellious acts that could have been dangerous for both Rudy and Liesel, therefore labelling Liesel as a free spirited and rebellious child.
Over the course of the novel, a Jewish boy named Max entered Liesel’s life. Max is a 23 years old Jew who hides from the Nazis in the Hubermanns' basement. Growing up Max was a fist fighter teenager who resolves not to die without a fight. "When death captures me, he will feel my fist on his face." (Zusak, 189) Liesel's small acts of kindness and loyalty towards Max illustrate the loving bond that has developed between the two. For instance, the time when it was Liesel’s birthday she was the one who gave Max a present. “And she walked over and hugged him for the first time. ‘Thanks, Max’” (Zusak, 222). In a way Max was like Liesel’s deceased younger brother and she does not want to watch someone die twice. As a result she would
(Cont'd) desperately fight to keep Max alive such as the time she purposely injured herself just to warn Max that the NSDAP were coming to investigate basements.(Zusak, 340) Readers now see Liesel’s character develop. Liesel is four years older now and while she has not yet hit puberty, she has noticeably mature both intellectually and emotionally.
Hans Hubermann is Liesel’s foster father and he was best known for his soft silver eyes. Hans Hubermann loved to smoke and the main thing he enjoyed about smoking was the rolling. (Zusak, 33) He even taught Liesel how to roll a cigarette. This shows bonding between father and daughter. Hans was a tall, quiet, incredibly kind, decent and patient man who easily wins over Liesel’s affections. One example that he does to help Liesel to feel loved and supported was the time when Liesel wanted to read the Grave Digger’ Hand book, but wasn’t able to because of lack of education. Hans would begin to teach her how to read by starting with the primary steps to reading a book. He would spend countless nights with Liesel teaching her how to read and also calming her down from her nightmares. He hugs her, speaks soothing words, listens to her and stays with her for hours. This helps Liesel to feel loved instead of like a burden. Hans demonstrates total patience and love for her through this hard time. Hans is also patient with his wife Rosa Hubermann, especially when it comes to her rude comments. Rosa would call Hans a “Saukerl” which mean a filthy pig in German and would tell Hans that she makes her own decisions. Instead of fighting or yelling back he would just graciously or jokingly give her a response such as “’That Saukerl’s looking out the window again.’ Cursed Rosa Hubermann. ‘Everyday’ she went on. ‘What are you looking at this time?’ ‘Ohhh,’ moaned Papa with delight. The flag cloaked his back from the top of the window. ‘You should have a look at this woman I can see.’ He glanced over his shoulder and grinned at Liesel. ‘I might just go and run after her. She leaves you dead, Mama.’(Zusak, 102)
Hans’ life was saved by a Jew Erik Vandenberg who teaches Hans to play the accordion in World War I. The day the platoom goes into battle, the Sergeant asks which one of them has good handwriting. None volunteered thus the Sergeant says that whichever man does will not be going into battle. Yet again no man volunteered because they did not want to seem like a coward. Erik nominates Hans who was sent to write letters for the captain. The rest of the men were all killed from that battle. Hans kept Erik’s old accordion and told Erik’s family what had happened during the last battle. Hans then leaves Erik’s wife his name and address if they needed any help. This shows kindness and loyalty to the Jew who saved his life.
Han Hubermann was an intelligent and a kind man. Erik’s son Max came to Han’s house seeking for a safe place to hide from the Nazi. Although this was quite a risky decision and Hans knew what the consequences were if the Nazi found out they were hiding a Jew. He was still able to put on a strong face and gives Max a new home with all of his powers to keep him safe. Hans showed sympathy and guilt that he could not bring Max to the air raid shelter when an expected air raid would strike on Germany. Hans showed more sympathy when a Jew parade marched down on Mochling and gave a piece of bread to an old Jewish man. Hans was later caught by the Nazi solider and was severely punished. Hans’ character dramatically alters after Max was forced to leave because of what danger might come to Hubermann’s household. Hans was waiting for the Nazi to step onto his front porch and at the same time feeling truly guilty for putting his family including Max at risk. The Nazi had not come which lead to Hans feeling more guilty having Max to leave the house for no reason. Overall, when it comes with to the Jews Hans Hubermann would give them sympathy and try to save one Jew’s life because a Jew saved his life.
Rosa Hubermann was Han’s wife and Liesel’s foster mother who wore her brownie gray strands of elastic hair in a bun. (Zusak, 34) In the beginning of this novel, Rosa Hubermann was described as an abusive foster mother and has a fiery attitude. However, this doesn’t make Rosa Hubermann a wicked old witch you may find in a typical neighbourhood and she was definitely not one of the To Killing Mocking Bird characters like Mrs. Henry Lafayette Dubose. Rosa Hubermann would demonstrate to the readers that she is an ungrateful, independent woman who is not afraid to speak her mind. Rosa never showed any appreciation in her household, such as the time when she asked Liesel where the scissors were “’Liesel, where are the scissors?’ But Liesel had no idea, either, ‘Saumensch, you’re useless, aren’t you?’” (Zusak, 244) However, Rosa’s rude comments were amusing and it is amazing how a woman like herself is not afraid to speak her mind. “’Not in the one below?’ ‘ I’ve been through that one already.’ ‘Maybe you missed them.’ ‘Do I look blind?’ She raised her head and bellowed.” (Zusak, 244) Rosa’s character was certainly unique. Even if there was guest in the house Rosa would continue to act like herself, such as the time when Max first ate her infamous pea soup. “Max declined, preferring instead to rush to the sink and vomit. His back convulsed and his arms were well spread. His fingers gripped the metal. ‘Jesus, Mary, Joseph,’ Rosa muttered. ‘Another one?’ Turning around, Max apologized… ‘Move,’ Rosa ordered him.”(Zusak, 200) Although Rosa had rudely moved Max away from the mess Rosa continues to feed him from starvation.
Rosa is a good mother who disciplines her foster child even though others observe it as child abuse. Rosa demonstrated her mothering potential when she learned that Liesel spent some of the scant ironing money. Rosa then disciplined her by giving a good whack with a wooden spoon. However, Rosa immediately stops and apologized when Liesel says that she mailed her letters to her birth mother. “She broke. ‘I spent it, Mama.’ Rosa came closer. This was not a good sign. She was very close to the wooden spoons. ‘You what?’ Before she could answer, the wooden spoon came down on Liesel Meminger’s body like the gait of God. Red marks like footprints, and they burned. From the floor, when it was over, the girl actually looked up and explained… ‘I mailed my letters.’…Above her, Rosa appeared to be smudged, but she soon clarified as her cardboard face looked closer. Dejected, she stood there in all her plumpness, holding the wooden spoon at her side like a club. She reached down and leaked a little. ‘I’m sorry, Liesel.’” (Zusak, 99) Rosa would not allow Liesel to be a rebel and spend money on useless junk without her mother`s consent, thus good parenting would disciplined Liesel, preventing it from happening again. Conversely, as soon Rosa knew it was for a good reason she stopped and apologizes for coming to an immediate conclusion.
Rosa definitely made a reputation of calling others Saumensch or Saukerl. It even made Liesel uncomfortable if Rosa didn’t call her by her nickname Saumensch. “’Now listen, Liesel. Papa’s going to tell you something today.’ This was serious-she didn’t even say Saumensch. It was a personal feat of abstinence. ‘He’ll talk to you and you have to listen. Is that clear?’ The girl was still swallowing. ‘Is that clear, Saumensch?’ That was better. The girl nodded.” (Zusak, 203) Rosa name calling was her signature name calling for others, Saumensch or Saukerl. If Rosa were to stop calling others those two names then she wouldn’t be Rosa Hubermann anymore. Additionally, Death stated that Rosa`s name calling was her way to show love and care. “If she’d seen me, I’m sure she would have called me a Saukerl, though I would not have taken it badly. After reading The book Thief, I discovered that she called everyone that. Saukerl. Saumensch. Especially the people she loved.” (Zusak, 532)
(cont'd) Behind Rosa name calling and her fiery attitude she is still Liesel’s foster mother and a foster mother who is always there to gives hugs when Liesel needed one. Such as the time when Hans Hubermann made Liesel cry when he told her what the consequences were if the Nazi knew they were hiding a Jew in the basement. “Upstairs, when they returned, they found Mama sitting in the kitchen, alone and pensive. When she saw them, she stood and beckoned Liesel to come over, noticing the dried up tears that streaked her. She brought the girl into her and heaped a typically rugged embrace around her body. ‘Alles gut, Saumensch?’” (Zusak, 204) Translation ‘Everything good, filthy pig?’ This proves that Rosa insults others but at the same time shows concern for them as well.
When Rosa’s husband was sent to a German army, which is desperate for new recruits following severe losses against the Soviet Union. Readers now see a dramatic change in Rosa Hubermann’s character. At first readers see that both couples Hans and Rosa, were not as close like typical husband and wife. However, this was her time to express her true feelings for her husband as she demonstrated that night when Liesel awakens and finds Rosa in the living room sitting on the edge of her bed with Han’s accordion. “There was no denying the fact that Rosa Hubermann was sitting on the edge of the bed with her husband’s accordion tied to her chest. Her fingers hovered above the keys.” (Zusak, 429)
At the end of the book when Death carries Rosa Hubermann’s spirit his speech about Rosa was true that she has a deep heart but no typical humans could see it. She was the one who fed a Jew, embraced a sad girl and she was the woman with the instrument strapped to her body in the long, moon-slit night. “Make no mistake, the woman had a heart. She had a bigger one than people would think. There was a lot in it, stored up, high in miles of hidden shelving. Remember that she was the woman with the instrument strapped to her body in the long, moon-slit night. She was a Jew feeder without a question in the world on a man’s first night in Molching. And she was an arm reacher, deep into a mattress, to deliver a sketchbook to a teenage girl. (Zusak, 532)
On Page 248 it gives a vague description of Max Vandenburg. It says that he could be summed up as a picture of pale concentartion. Beige-coloured skin. A swamp in each eye. anAnd he breated like a fugitive. Desperate yet soundless. It also says that it was only his chest that gave him away for something alive. This painted a rough picture of Max Vandenburg for me in my mind throughout the rest of the novel.
How does this book compare to others you have read?
Blog Rules
1. Keep it polite, respectful, and focused. 2. No text-talk: writing style counts. 3. DON'T YELL WITH CAPITALS! 4. Stay on topic: our purpose is to discuss literature.
I think that Max is a very interesting character. He is a very determined and strong person. If I was put into the situation that Max had to go through, I don't think that I would have been able to handle it. Max had the determination to fight for his life, and do whatever it took to keep himself alive. His strength was amazing when he stayed in that dark room for so long. He took so many risks to be alive. It made me really sad when I read about how Max was always apologizing to the Hubermann’s because he shouldn’t have to apologize. He had to live in a basement, freezing to death, never getting to look outside because he is a Jew. It’s sad because all he did wrong was be born a Jew. I really liked when he took apart the Mein Kampf and made it into a book for Liesel’s birthday. It really showed how he cared about them and was thankful for what they were doing for him. He made something very special from the little he had. At the part in the book that I am right now, I am not sure how it is going to turn out for Max. Nazis are going to be searching the houses basements to see if any are good for bomb shelters, and I really hope that they do not find Max. As Rosa said “I didn’t take this man into my house to watch him die.” (314, Zusek) I really hope that Max does not end up dying, because all of the struggle and stress of hiding him, and him having to live under the conditions to be hidden, I wouldn’t want that to all be for nothing.
ReplyDeleteMax Vandenburg is a interesting character he was very sincere and thoughtful of others. I thought of Max as a survivor through all the events he had to go through. He fought when he was young and he would not stop. His will power to hide from the Nazi's. He had no food for days. His dream about fighting Hitler also relates to him being a survivor. Usually people would not dare to do such a thing but max was a exception
ReplyDeleteThe character that spoke to me the most was without a doubt Hans Hubermann. Unlike the typical foster-father-figure, Hans is caring and understanding, fatherly and firm, yet gentle and laid-back, and acts as a genuine father towards Liesel. From the moment he was introduced, he was written to appear as a “perfect” father, which is exactly what Liesel needs after what she’s been through (and what she has yet to go through, surely). A major concept so far has been the power and words, and obviously as Liesel is titled The Book Thief her stealing the books is integral to the story, and without Hans’ tutelage, she never would’ve discovered her love for reading. Therefore, Hans is a hugely important character. And easily my favourite.
ReplyDeleteMax really is an interesting character. If i was hiding in a dark room for such a long time, I think I honestly would've gone insane already. I like that he has those imaginary fights with Hitler, but it seems that Hitler is haunting because when I read about Max sometimes, it always says that Hitlers shadow is also there with them. I think because of that thought, Max restrains himself from doing many things in order to put him and the Hubermanns out of harms way. I'm really curious to see what happens to Max later on in the book.
ReplyDeleteI'm quite intrigued by the character of Ilsa Hermann. When Liesel first delivered her ironing, Ilsa seemed so distant and emotionless. Now she's more friendly, but still seems very detached from everything around her. My guess would be that when her son died, she went into a state of depression and never came out. For her to allow Liesel into her home to read was a very kind gesture, yet she still doesn't really communicate much. I'm curious to see if her personality will be further developed later in the book.
ReplyDeleteI really like the character of Hans Huberman. But when Max leaves we really start to see a different side of Hans. He has a lot of guilt, he's not as confident in himself anymore and it's now Liesel who has to comfort him instead of the other way around, the way it used to be. I feel sorry for Hans and I can definitely understand why he's acting like this, but I can't help but loose some of the love and respect I had for this character before. I hope that Max lives and somehow finds a way to convey that to the Hubermans so that Hans can come back to being his old self again. It would be a shame to loose such a loved and powerful character.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Josette, I think that Max is a very interesting character. He is very caring character who understands and thinks that life is like a privilege rather than a right for him. He escaped from the killing and now he has a home to live in and he believes that, all this is more than enough for him. He also is very good friends with Liesel now and they share a very unique bond. He wrote Liesel a thirteen-page booklet for her that outlined his life until now on page 224. The name of the story was "The Standover Man". The first "standover man" is his father, who vanishes at a young age. As a kid, he enjoys fighting, and whenever he loses another boy would be standing over him. When he comes to a safe house, it is a girl, not a man, standing over him. They share interests and the girl says he looks like something else. The picture on this page is of a man looking into a mirror and seeing a bird, this is a reference to Liesel's comment that Max's hair looks like feathers. The girl asks the bird about his dreams, and both his and Liesel's recurring nightmares are pictured: Max saying goodbye to his family, and Liesel sleeping with her younger brother at the side of her bed. The bird now thinks they are friends, and that on her birthday the girl gave a gift to him, a hug. The "best standover man" he has ever known is not a man, but a girl. The final page is Liesel reading in the basement, with words like "Valuable" and "Daylight" written on the wall: this is a reference to Liesel's basement writing practice. This booklet showed that he really cares for Liesel and he loves her as a friend. He is indeed a very interesting character.
ReplyDeleteI really like the character Liesel. I was very surprised at how mature Liesel is. She isn’t very old, only 11 years when Max came to live with them, but she handled the situation like an adult. I wouldn’t think that most 11 year old girls would be able to keep a secret like hiding a Jew in your basement, but Liesel did. She is also a really intelligent person, and a quick thinker. I was very impressed with her behaviors when she saw a Nazis going to search people’s basements for possible bomb shelters. She knew that it would look suspicious if she was to just run home when she saw the Nazis coming. Her plan of getting hurt, and having her dad come to take her home was very smart. Her quick thinking saved Max’s life. She has had a very hard life, with her brother dying, and her mom abandoning her. Getting used to a new family would be very hard, and adding Max into the equation would make life even harder. She has gone through so much in her life so far, but has handled everything really well.
ReplyDeleteThe characters in this story are all very different from one another. They all have completely different personalities, and they show throughout the story. Liesel has many different sides that we’ve seen so far: she is that nice, innocent little girl, who wants to do the right thing, but I think that sometimes she might have trouble deciding between what might be right, and what might be wrong. Another side of hers that we see is that she has a rough side. She has seen things most people her age in Germany would not have (watched her brother die), and I think that that might play a role in this part of her. We read about her beating up Ludwig Schmeikl for insulting her, so we know that if you make her mad, she will bring out her tough side. As we know too, Liesel is also a thief. She has stolen books, but also money from Rosa Hubermann, so she could mail letters off to her mother.
ReplyDeleteHans Hubermann is a caring, patient man, who really cares about Liesel. He will go out of his way to make Liesel happy (trading his cigarettes for books, and almost writing Liesel a reply letter from her “mom”). He is patient with her when she is learning how to read, and helps her along to getting better. Hans also has a lot of patience when it comes to dealing with Rosa Hubermann. We don’t hear about them fighting, and when she makes rude remarks to him, he just graciously gives her an answer. Sometimes though, it almost seems as if he might have a secret that either he’s keeping from Liesel, or possibly from the whole family. His character seems to be the wise type, yet mysterious.
Rosa Hubermann is the type of character, that after the first few pages we hear about her, she gets on your nerves, and wish that she was just out of the story all together. She is never pleased with ANYTHING that Liesel of Hans do, and she always sounds frustrated when she speaks. I’m sure that she could be nice if she wanted to, but it seems like she would just rather stay miserable than actually put an effort into being nice. She is also good at making Liesel seem worthless. She never calls her by her name, only by “Saumensch”. “You’re not worth that much Saumensch!” (Page 92). I think that here, may be the only time that she is not making Liesel seem TOTALLY worthless. She still says she isn’t worth that much, but that would still mean that she is worth at least a little bit, and that she does care for her a little bit.
I haven’t heard that much about Trudy Hubermann, but from what I have, she seems a lot nicer, and softer than Rosa. She is nice to Liesel too, so my thinking is that she got a little bit more of her father’s personality than her mothers.
Hans Juniour Hubermann is a man who’s all for Hitler. He is trying to convince Hans to join the Hitler party, and also refers to Jews as “garbage”. “It’s pathetic—how a man can stand by and do nothing as a whole nation cleans out the garbage, and makes itself great,” (page 105). The author describes him as having eyes like his fathers, but less warm, and obviously “führered”, (page 103).
Hans and Hans Juniour seem to have completely opposite personalities. Hans Juniour is a Nazi, and Hans is one who helps Jews, (helps paint over the graffiti on their houses). “You’re either for or against Hitler, and I can obviously see you’re against!” (Hans Juniour, page 105).
I also like the character Max. He has many good personality traits but I believe he is put into Leisel's life for a certain purpose. For me he is the suppliers of themes; he teaches Leisel and in turn us about greed, the power of words, determination as well as influence, among other things. He teaches Leisel about acceptance through his very presence, he is the 'thing' that she is supposed to hate because of his differences.
ReplyDeleteHe also supplies us with a different perspective, a German family helping the very people they are supposed to hate.
Because of my thoughts about Max and his purpose I was very surprised when he left. We are supposed to be constantly learning so we can grow as people and since Max was a big part of Leisel’s development, I felt that she needed him. So now I wonder, why did Max go?
Another character in the novel that got me interested was Viktor Chemmel. Although he wasn't a main character in the novel I can still sense what type of character he was. Viktor portrayed to be the bad guy not as bad as Hitler but the actions he did was not good. In the novel he likes to boss people around and seems to enjoy putting people down and enjoys the company of his entourage. He also refers to liesel as unappropriate names. On page 301 Viktor decides to take liesel's book and states the only way to retrieve it back is to pay for it.
ReplyDeleteA character that I enjoy is Hans Hubermann. When you think of foster parents they can be stereotyped as non caring or non loving. Hans is different, he portrays a caring and loving father towards Liesel and tries to teach her new things that she would have never known. Hans is genuine and is very generous. He offers to stay up in the waking hours of the morning to teach Liesel to read while he must work the next day. He wants to play a part in his new daughter's life and that is very inspiring for new fathers. It's the little things that count the most.
ReplyDeleteOne character that i really like at this point in the book. Would have to be Max he has lots of strength. He shows this by staying in the basement not asking for anything. Yet he still seems happy, or as happy as someone can be well not knowing if they are going to get found and possibly killed. He also is super nice to Liesel. Liesel is another one of my favorite characters this character thinks of the sweetest things to do i love how she thinks to bring snow to the basement for Max, because he can't go outside and experience it for himself, she also brings all the little things she finds. Max and Liesel have great friendship and if Max doesn't live through the sickness he is having i don't know what effects it will have on Liesel.
ReplyDeleteI was i little taken by the fact that Hans actually gave a loaf of bread to a Jew. Frist because it was not really a respected thing to do at the time and also the fact that it was just kind out of the blue. The thing that made me kind of mad was that after when Liesel asked him why he did that he didn't have a answer he didn't know why he did it.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLiesel Meminger, is the main protagonist of the book, and the girl who grasped Death attention to the extent that he is telling us a story about her life. As to why Death had chosen specifically her still stays unknown to me, but the fact that Liesel‘s life story is worth listening to is incontestable. You might even call her an ordinary girl with unordinary life. In the age of 9, when a person is still a child, completely innocent and very vulnerable to the harsh reality of life, Liesel has to go through things that some people do not even experience in their entire lives. First, she witnesses the death of her little brother, a very dear and close person to her heart. Then she has to face the parting with her mother, the most irreplaceable and the dearest person in everyone’s life. After that, she is forced to move in with a new and completely strange family, and try to refer to them as her parents. Just by summing all of that up I can say that it is way too much for a little girl to go through. Still, Liesel did not break or fall into despair and helplessness. She tried to distract herself from the gray reality by learning to read, being very focused and determined to reach her goal no matter what.
ReplyDeleteHer adaptation in a new atmosphere was not easy, but Liesel never whined or pitied herself. She took every rock thrown at her by the fate very nobly and like an adult. I really like her character and respect her as a person so far in the book. Just the way she deals with things amazes me. Like when she did not let others make fun of her poor reading skills at school and showed everyone that she is not a girl who will let others offend her and the suffer in silence; or when she had a courage to come back and give away the “Whistler” book, given her by the mayor’s wife after Ilsa fired her mother. As I keep reading I continue to witness that Liesel is a very strong and high minded person as she displays the traits of being kind, respectful, responsible, trustful, and understandable girl and despite her difficult past and present life a cheerful person. Also I would not call her a thief in a criminal way. If a person strives for knowledge and she has to still books in order to get it, can that really be called a crime? I personally do not think so.
I am more than halfway through the book and I am very eager to see more of Liesel’s life and her abilities to survive in extreme situations and stay determined to reach her dreams. As Death said in the beginning, “Liesel, is the girl with the mountain to climb” (Zusak, 86). I agree.
Liesel Meminger is the main character of the novel. Her mother was forced to give up her two children to foster care - although Liesel's younger brother dies on the way (this has a huge effect on her). Her foster father, Hans, taught her to read at the late age of 11, and while she remains behind in school it becomes her new obsession. However, because of her family's poverty she is forced to steal new reading material from various sources (thus giving her the nickname "The Book Thief"). She later builds a strong connection with her best friend Rudy Steiner she really enjoys his company , although she never tells him of this during his life.
ReplyDeleteOne of the characters in the novel is Ilsa Hermann she has porcelain skin and snow white hair. She mainly wears a bath robes. She is the wife of the mayor. Ilsa is a woman who holds a lot of sadness deep inside her from her son dying. This causes her to be less social.
ReplyDeleteLiesel to me seems like a very mature girl at her age. I know she’s had to go through heartbreaking times in her life such as the her brother dying of an unknown illness on the train to the Hubermann’s, her father abandoning her and her mother having no choice but to leave Liesel and go away. This is too much for Liesel to handle at her age, but I feel this has made her into a stronger person. She’s been hurt before and I don’t see a reason why she wouldn’t have learnt from that and take being hurt anymore. I also think that this may have a reason to do with why she steals books. Her first stolen book was The Grave Diggers Handbook and this had a connection to her brother because it was all she had left of him. Even though there’s no real connection, it’s a reminder. Stealing books seems like an adventure for her, she learns many things from them and they seem to make her happy, as well as bringing her closer to her new family. I think she built the guts to steal these books from the devastating events in her life. They’ve had a large effect on her that she doesn’t seem to really care what she does now. You also notice that she stands up for herself a bit more, for example telling off Isla Hermann because she fired Rosa from doing their laundry. Though, having hard times in her childhood isn’t the end of the world for her, from the help of her new family and friends she knows again what it’s like to have a family and most importantly what it’s like to be loved.
ReplyDeleteOne of the thing I really liked about Max was the way he saw things. When I consider The Standover man, and how he managed to write exactly what he was feeling, I was pretty impressed. Later on, his "encounters" with Hitler, boxing eachother, were really quite astounding too. He was able to sum up what Hitler was doing to the Jews using the metaphor of a boxing match, and I thought his perspective of what was happening was very interesting.
ReplyDeleteI’m a big fan of the character Rudy, because he is so confident and cocky, but not in a rude, or serious way. I like the relationship that he has with Liesel, because they can call each other anything, without taking offence. Rudy also never gives up trying to get a kiss from Liesel, and I think that’s kind of cute. I also like the character of Max, because he keeps to himself, but we still know a lot about him. He likes a good fist fight, and is very good at keeping quiet. I think it’s kind of interesting how he thinks he’s being so selfish by asking people for help. A quote I found that basically describes what we hear of Max in many scenes is this: “How could he show up and ask people to risk their lives for him? How could he be so selfish?” (page 169). I like Ilsa, but she always seems so sad. She never really talks, but when she does she seems nice. I wish that we would get to know her better, but preferably by her talking.
ReplyDeleteOn page 369 Ilsa Hermann becomes a "Dynamic character". I was very happy when Liesel found Ilsa Hermann's note with the dictionary and thesaurus because I think it was a bit of a wake up call to Liesel that she was not as sneaky as she thought. Before then I felt very bad for Ilsa because if she was not depressed due to her sons death she was either getting torn apart at by Liesel or getting robbed. As I was reading the letter I was smiling because until that point I was still very upset at Liesel for treating Ilsa so horribly. I really started to see Ilsa Hermann in a way that I never saw before, as a caring and thoughtful woman who is willing to forgive and even go as far as to give presents to the very person who insulted her and probably hated her. This is truly something most people would never do back then and definitely not today. This is one the the many times you see a character change throughout the book which makes it much more enjoyable and adds a lot to the storyline
ReplyDeleteHans Hubermann is an amazing character. I think that he is very very kind person for letting Max stay in his basement considering it was risky to do so. On page 394 he got whipped and he is very strong and stuck through it. I was very upset to here that he was joining the Nazi Party and going to war. I don't think he deserves to go to war and have the risk of being killed. He is way to nice and loving to have to do that and for his family to have to go through that. Something that I really life about Hans is that he isn't prejudiced towards Jews and he did something really nice to someone he is supposed to hate. He definitely does not deserve to die in war and I can't wait to find out what happens.
ReplyDeleteI can't stand Liesel
ReplyDeleteI don't know what it is, but there's something about these children that makes this book unbearable for me to read. I keep trying to sit down and just read the book. Just get through it. But I just can't do it. Liesel, or any other child in this book, (eg. Rudy) just gets on my nerves so much. One thing I can say is that Zusak did do a good job on bringing these characters to life, because I know without a doubt I wouldn't be able to stand them should they be real. It's honestly hard to place my finger on what it is, for whatever reason, Liesel's redundant faults, are getting on my nerves. All I've read is what she can't do, and how she is always failing. It's just depressing, and I don't need a book's help to show me that life sucks. Albeit the setting is in a time of war, therefore the bright side of things is doomed to not shine, however, although the book has done a good job of not being another blatant patronization of teens which most "middle-years" books as "Schoolastic" would label them, are, the feeling I get from the vocabulary used pains me to read, it's as if it's used to make the reader feel smarter than they are. I'm offended to be honest, that's another topic though, I'm supposed to be referring to characters....
Between TKAM and The Book Thief, I would like to say I'm beginning to dislike novel children, however I think it's past that stage and into a migraine-causing lack of tolerance to their useless day to day happenings that bore me to falling asleep reading... everytime i try to read.
Despite my dislike for the young ones, as many have mentioned already, Hans Hubermann is far from the typical German citizen, one who "Heil Hitler"'s at any given opportunity, that the western propaganda seems to have spread of the German people from this period of time. Of course, that last bit is very opinion based, however I've found the only depictions of the axis citizens, has been them in the thousands to hear one of Hitlers rallies. Other than a few documentaries about various plots to kill Hitler by high ranking officers, I never heard of any citizens rebelling, or disliking to whatever extent; I would hardly call Herr Hubermann and rebel. I assumed there was, but never heard anything about them, likely due to Hitlers iron fist swiftly crushing any domestic opposition I suppose.
ReplyDeleteI suppose this also brings into question the historical accuracy of this book, I don't know Zusak's background on the lives of the Third Reiches citizens, I only hope it is extensive.
Anyway, Herr Hubermann is a refreshing character in the novel, often the scenes in which he is involved are all that makes me bear to turn another page, for fear of Liesel and Rudy being on the next one. I enjoy him because of his very laid back approach, especially considering his wife Rosa, who is quite the piece of work... I wonder what exactly is in his cigarettes that can keep him in the mood he is with heard "SAUMENSCH" every 10 bloody seconds.
His care for Liesel is no doubt formidable, considering that I can't stand the little brat.
So far, Hans Hubermann is the highlight of the novel, I'm not expecting that to change character wise.
Hans Junior Hubermann is one of my least favorite characters. One of the reasons why I wasn't very fond of this character is because he comes out kind of rude like when he was speaking to his father it kind of seemed like he was looking down on him like he was disappointed of him or something, like when his father told him that the Nazi hadn't accepted him yet he insulted him by saying that he never really cared about his country in the first place,(page 105) I found that kind of immature of him to say because just because his father (Hans) wasn't part of the Nazi party it doesn't mean that he didn't care about his country (personally I think that he is supporting his country by no supporting the Nazi because of Hitler had a say). The fact that he called his father a "coward" was very unacceptable, extremely rude and uncalled for and that is what made me dislike this character. I thought that Hans Junior was very judgmental. Zusak did a great job on developing Hans Juniors character, because although he wasn't one of the main characters he still had an impact on my experience of reading the this novel so far.
ReplyDeleteLiesel Meminger is a strong, young German girl who is 11years old. This story takes place in 1939 before the Second World War. She is the girl to whom Death became attached too. She is the main character whose life story was chosen to be told by the narrator, Death. Liesel is forced to go through many events that I could never imagine happening to myself in Canada in the year 2010. At the age of 9 she had to travel to Munich with her 6 year old brother, Werner, and mother to enter a foster home. Her mother could no longer afford to care for her and her sibling. While they were on the train, her brother died ever so quickly and Liesel witnessed this death right in front of her eyes. She now had to face living with a new family all on her own. They were very close as siblings but she bravely faced the challenge of adapting to the foster home, alone. Next, she had to say a heartbreaking goodbye to her mother at the train station while being met by a member of the foster home organisation. In general it is very hard to imagine giving up your mother, who has cared for you as a child and shares an unbreakable bond. When Liesel arrived in Munich she was introduced to her new foster parents. They were working class people who lived on Himmel Street. Rosa Hubermann, her foster mother, was a vulgar woman with a short temper and called Liesel a Saumensch (“pig girl”). Hans Hubermann, her foster father, was a quiet man who rolled his own cigarettes. A few days later, he taught Liesel to roll cigarettes. When she first arrived, she showed a rebellious side towards them by not taking baths when she was told to. But in my opinion, the most difficult thing for Liesel was having to call Rosa and Hans, Mama and Papa. What little 9 year old would want to call strange and new people Mama and Papa? All these events were a lot for a young girl who had lost her brother and her mother in one day. After time, Liesel learned to be respectful towards her new parents or she knew her foster mother would have hit her with the wooden spoon. She did not disagree with them and she would cooperate. She had to do her foster mother’s work. She had to pick up and drop off dry cleaning at wealthy peoples homes. She tried to distract herself with reading. She started by looking at the Gravedigger’s Handbook, a book that she took from her brother’s funeral. One evening, when Hans checked on her he noticed her interest in this book. This is when Liesel and Hans started to connect. Hans stayed up in the waking hours of the morning teaching Liesel to read and comprehend words that she did not yet know. This became a routine which she enjoyed and looked forward to. I am very impressed with her so far in the novel because she is coping with the death of brother, the loss of her mother and fitting into a new family.
ReplyDeleteNear the end of the book the character Ilsa Hermann is one of my favorite characters. All though she lets Liesel take books from her library. The way Ilsa tells Liesel that she noticed that the books where missing was effective in in a way i was not expecting. She writes the letter and says that it will take her a 1000 trips to take all of the books. This letter makes Liesel start her own book, which when you read the peices from the book she has started writing is like a recap of the begining of the book. This character has a big influance on Liesel, she is the reason that Liesel lives.
ReplyDeleteI'm on page 250 in this novel and so far the character Hans Hubermann has my interest. At the beginning he was more of just a filler character but as i keep reading he gets to be more complex and the narrator, death, goes more and more in depth with his history. This right now is starting to make me more interested in the book.
ReplyDeleteAs i have already mention i really like the character Hans Hubermann and as i read further along in the book i grow to like his character more and more. Besides the fact that he was so good to Liesel since the day she got there, Hans also was brave, caring, and a really sincere person because he took a big risk to have a Jew come live in his basement. He was even punished for helping out a Jew as stated on page 394. I can't wait to find out more great things that he does in the story.
ReplyDeleteHans is starting to become a very interesting character. He is constantly showing new character traits and is consistently becoming a bigger part of the novel. He is becoming much more caring as the novel progresses. On page 354, Liesel writes that she loves her Papa because he painted someone’s house for half a cigarette. He always does a good deed and he cares about others feelings. He always knows what to do and knows the kind of situation people are in due to the wars happening in Germany. On page 394 he showed another act of kindness when he gave bread to an old man who was a part of the Jewish parade. He helped the old man who kept falling to the ground. The old man was very hungry and it was Hans who stood up to the occasion and helped him out. No one else did they all watched. He showed an act of bravery by helping the old Jewish man. Another character that is really developing throughout the novel is Rudy. He is constantly showing that he is a non-racist person and that he doesn't discriminate people by there culture or skin color. He also showed a lot of determination when he said he had to win all 4 events in the Hitler Youth Standards Games on page 360. He also showed his respect towards his idol, Jesse Owens when he had won 3 events and on the 4th event he disqualified himself from the race because he felt that he wasn't as good as him and that he wasn't Jesse Owens. He really impressed me when he did that. Finally he gave bread to hungry Jews during their parade and was caught by a German soldier who chased them. He showed that he really cares about everyone and have them some food to eat so that they wouldn't die. Frau also showed that she is very kind and has a big heart. She understands what is going on in Liesel's mind after she stopped getting laundry done from them. Frau always knew that Liesel was the one stealing books from her household so she always left the window open so that Liesel could come and take the book she needed. It showed that she has a big heart. She also on some occasions left something outside the window for Liesel to take. A lot of characters are starting to show more character traits during the course of this novel.
ReplyDeleteAfter finishing the book I looked back to find a character to reflect on. Pour Tommy Muller, he is basically the kid nobody wants to be. When the kid was five years old he got lost on the coldest day of the year and when they finally found him he was practically frozen solid. Due to that accident he needed multiple operations on his ears because of horrible infections and on top of that he has a bad twitch which the children of Himmel Street give him a hard time about. As he got a little older he was having a very hard time hearing causing multiple embarrassments including messing up the Hitler youth event. I figure he was put into the novel for one reason and one reason only to be the worst. If he was not the worst at soccer Liesel would not have gotten out of the goalie position playing soccer as soon as she did which most likely would have been a major set back on the Entire Rudy and Liesel relationship. All I can say is pour Tommy.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the character of Max Vandenburg, mostly because I felt that he was like the underdog in the story. I just feel like I am drawn to his character. Probably the main thing that draws me to Max is his imagination. The “encounters” that he has in the basement with Hitler is very entertaining. Yes it is kind of explaining how the Jews want to stand up to Hitler, but he is too strong in his numbers to be defeated. Max seems to have a lot of mental strength. He lives in the basement and never asks for anything, though he has let what Hitler thinks about Jews get to him, because he says that all he deserves is to live in the basement under the stairs. He never complains about anything, the food, or how cold it is. He just takes what he can get.
ReplyDeleteAlex Steiner is a father of six and owns his own retail shop he is very caring and loyal to his family. He is part of the Nazi Party even though he does not believe in hating all Jewish people. Mr. Steiner is usually a polite man that is not easily aggravated.I have deep sympathy for him for Alex to come back to Germany and see his family all die.
ReplyDeleteRudy Steiner is a German boy who has lemon blonde hair and blue eyes. He once met a new girl on Himmel streets during a typical neighbourhood activity of soccer. (Zusak, 47) Rudy was known for not missing a penalty in eighteen shots. However, the new kid Liesel somehow blocked his goal. Rudy was greatly astounded of this new girl. Shortly he expressed his impression of this girl by throwing a muddy snowball at her face. Rudy is one of those types of boys who fantasizes himself being with a cute chick, which in this case Liesel is that cute chick. Rudy often asks Liesel for a kiss in return for favours but would be sadly turned down, such as the time when Rudy challenged Liesel to a 100 meter race. "'Hundred meters,' he goaded her.’ I bet you can’t beat me.' Liesel wasn’t taking any of that. 'I bet you I can.'... 'If I beat you, I get to kiss you.'" (Zusak, 53) Another attempt was made when Rudy rescues Liesel's book 'The Whistler' after it was thrown into an icy cold river. (Zusak, 303) Although Rudy has failed to receive a kiss from Liesel the strong friendship they had was good enough for Rudy.
ReplyDeleteRudy was best known for painting his face black with charcoal, he was running around an empty track while imitating a famous Black American athlete named Jesse Owens. Jesse Owens achieved worldwide fame after winning four gold medals at the 1936 Summer Olympics. Rudy and Jesse Owens have similar traits. Jesse Owens, a coloured American went to the Olympics knowing that Hitler would be there. The presence of Hitler did not frighten him. His decision of entering the race was an independent decision. Jesse Owens appears to be like one of those people who didn’t allow anyone to get in the way of his dreams. (Zusak, 56) This characteristic is comparable to Rudy’s, as when he went to the Hitler Youth Olympics and won three gold medals. Rudy was aware of his instructor Franz Deustcher, who tormented Rudy at Hitler youth was attending this special event. Nevertheless he did not let this knowledge deter Rudy from entering the race. Instead Rudy wanted to blow Deustcher away by winning three gold medals, exactly like Jesse Owens did when he blew away Hitler by winning all four gold medals. (Zusak, 363)
Rudy dies in an air raid at the end of this novel and finally receives his first kiss from Liesel on his lifeless corpse. This was one of my least favourite events in this novel. The reason being was because one of my favourite characters was taken away by Death and Liesel finally decides to kiss him when he is dead! Rudy Steiner does not deserve to die the way he does. It is not fair for someone with his remarkable running ability, courageousness, charm and intelligence to die by a bombing. Along with not getting a kiss that he requested for several times until after its too late. Even Death feels the same way, “He didn’t deserve to die the way he did” (Zusak, 241)
The character of Hans Hubermann is probably the most surprising character in the book, in my opinion. He is that one character who probably cares maybe a little too much. When you compare him to his wife, he is much more pleasant to be around, considering he isn't calling Liesel names all the time. He cares a lot about the people around him, even if they are Jews. He takes in Max and yes it is because he made a deal with Max's father, but I don't think that he would have sent him away anyways. I think that Hans is one of those guys who just wants peace, and wants the war to be over. Not only is he great for taking Max in and risking his, and his families lives, but he is great to Liesel when she moves in. She has these continuing nightmares of her brother dying, and Hans comes in every night to take care of her. He calms her down by reading to her, even though he is quite tired. The best part is that he never asks for anything in return.
ReplyDeleteI've started to become attached to Lisel Meminger. When she feels sad or happy I can't help but feel the same way too. When Max Vandenburg is sick, Lisel is there eveyday reading to him and finding him gifts, that shows that she is a caring and loving person. When her friend is sick and shes sad its as if I can feel her pain. Lisel is strong charcter in this book she went through a lot. Her brothers death and her mom leaving her at some strangers house and never coming back. If I were to have a mother like Rosa Hubermann, that would yell at me for no reason, I think I would go to my room every night and cry.
ReplyDeleteHans Hubbermann starts to become a very interesting character in this novel. In the beginning I thought he was just there to fill a spot up as a character, but later into the novel he starts to become a very complex character, if you ask me. Hans keeps on building new character traits through out this book. He is a very calm character, i think that because in the beginning he was real nice to Liesel and tried doing the best for her all the time. He is loving because him and Liesel connect in a lot of different ways. He really cares about other people, people that he does not even know. One thing i remember is on page 394 when he gave bread to a stranger that is part of the jewish parade.
ReplyDeleteLiesel Meminger is the main character of this novel. Her mother Paula Meminger gave up her two children to foster care. Although Liesel's younger brother dies on the way to there new foster care home which has a huge affect on Liesel. Her foster father, Hans Hubermann, taught her to read and write at the late age of 11, and while she remains behind in school. She shows dedication to learn. I think Liesel is a very interesting character in this novel because she shows passion for reading and writing. She also is a tomboy because she likes to play soccer with the guys.(Rudy)Her and her stepfather Hans Hubermann have a very lovable relationship they really have a great bond between each other. It shows that you can be friends with your children, all you need to have is some common interests and a great personality.
ReplyDeleteRosa Hubermann is really beginning to get on my nerves in this story. Despite the fact that Liesel is doing her best help Rosa, and she listens quite well, Rosa is still very rude to her. “Saumensch, you’re useless aren’t you?” (page 244). I like the relationship that Liesel and Max have though. They have become very close, and they even share their dreams with each other.
ReplyDeleteRudy: “Do you like him?” Liesel: “Do you?” Rudy: “I think he’s a complete bastard”. Liesel: “Me too,” (page 275). I think that Liesel and Rudy describe Victor completely here. He is a total jerk to Liesel and Rudy, and he is very greedy. He has everything that he needs to live a good life at home, yet he is still out stealing things from other people who don’t have as much.
I really like the character Tommy. He is always so cheerful and innocent, and I always feel bad for him because he is always getting in trouble. Rudy is always there for him though. Especially during Hitler Youth, when Tommy gets in trouble because of his hearing problems. Rudy is a devious character and a good actor though, when it comes to food. Despite his devious side though, he is willing to do anything for his friends, such as jump into the freezing river to retrieve a book for Liesel, or to run laps of the grounds in Hitler Youth with Tommy.
ReplyDeleteIlsa Hermann's character is a quiet and distant woman, but she has a kind heart. At first, she seemed a bit scary to Liesel, because Ilsa saw Liesel steal her second book, and Liesel was scared she would be told on. But as Liesel got to know her, she saw a different person. Ilsa Hermann opened her doors and her heart for Liesel, and let her come in to read in her library. Even when the Hermanns fired Rosa, and Liesel was very angry at Ilsa, she somehow found it in her heart to forgive her. The pull of reading the books was too strong, and Liesel could not hate someone who had been so generous with her. So Liesel made a great friend of Ilsa Hermann, and I think this friendship was important for Liesel to continue reading even when she thought she was losing everyone important to her, like her papa going to war and Max leaving. Also, when Liesel tells Ilsa she will punish herself by not going to her library anymore, Ilsa gives her one last book, without any words, so Liesel can write her own story. This guesture is what saves Liesel's life at the end, which demonstrates how important Ilsa was to this novel.
ReplyDeleteI think Ilsa Hermann is an odd character, but as I found out at the end of the novel, she helped Liesel when everybody else was gone, which was an act of true friendship.
I don't understand why as soon as Max showed up un the Hubermann's kitchen why Rosa Hubermann's attitude and character totally changed. What i mean is she goes from one day being one of the rudest peoeple ever to the next day not swearing as much at Liesel and Hans Hubermann and almost sounding like a half decent person.
ReplyDeleteLiesel is a 11 year old German girl whose mother has left her with a foster mom and dad. Her brother had died on the way to the foster parent’s house, which is not a easy thing to go through. Once she arrives to their house she doesn't like it at all, she feels alone and scared. But eventually she feels at home and turns into a totally different person. She started as a quiet, lonely, depressed girl. Now she is a happy young girl that loves to play, laugh, learn and enjoy life. The main reason for her major change was her foster dad Hans Hubermann. He made her feel at home and took car of her, Liesel thought of him as a real father and loved him with all her heart. Overall i think Liesel is a great character she changed a lot throughout the book but the author did a great job of doing that. Markus has detailed his characters with great effort and they seem like actual people you would meet in real life. If Liesel was a real person i would love to meet her.
ReplyDelete@ Madison
ReplyDeleteThat's a very good point. While I thought she changed for the better (the Rosa at the beginning was almost intolerable) I do agree it seemed an awfully quick change of heart. Yes, characters do change, and develop, and I think that one think Zusak does well is develop his characters, but people do NOT change so drastically overnight.
I don't really like Liesel. She has anger issues, she's selfesh and she's a thief. Just because she only stole one book at a time, doesn't make it okay. The mayors wife told Liesel that she could come anytime she wants, just use the front door. But after screaming at her, Liesel didn't have the guts to face Ilsa, so she snuck around. Also, Liesel lashed out on other children in her school. She beat a boy senseless. Liesel also yelled (yelled being an understatement) at Ilsa. Liesel thought that Ilsa was betraying her, but she didn't realize that Ilsa owed her nothing. She was just pouting because she wasn't going to be able to go to the library any more and she was jelous of the fact that the mayor had more money than her. Lastly, whenever Liesel came to a new house, she would refuse to wash herself. And that's just gross!
ReplyDeleteLiesel is a very curious and a kind hearted character. She is curious because she is eager to know everything and does things without anyone knowing that she did something, until she says something about it herself. Liesel is a 11 year old German girl whose mother left her with foster parents. The foster parents she is living with right now are really kind people especially Hans. Liesel is a really strong young girl because when she was on her way to her foster parents house her brother died on the way their, it did affect her personally but not so much that she will have problems for her life. She is real willing because the time she lived in people didnt get a proper education, but she was determined. Hans started teaching Liesel to read at the age of 11, she was getting better at reading and writing but slowly. Liesel is also a active little girl because she goes to play soccer with other boys. She is also real helpful, when Max gets sick she would help him everyday by going to his and giving him gifts and reading to him
ReplyDelete@ Madison
ReplyDeleteNo kidding. Rosa was my least favourite character and then as soon as Max presents him self in the book, she changes hugely. I think it’s because she sees this man who is completely helpless and has absolutely nothing, she can’t help but feel poorly. They already have so little and yet they take in another mouth to try and feed.
While we got to know Liesel foster parents, Rosa Hubermann shocked me with her vuglar language that she used towards Liesl and her husband Hans. I do not understand why she would want to call her new daughter a Saumensch which meaning means "pig girl". I could never imagine my mother calling me names with such vial meanings. Rosa is one of my least favorite characters. I understand that that she is a working Germany woman but does anyone have an opinion on why they think she call Liesel and Hans these rude names?
ReplyDeleteWhen Max shows up on 33 Himmel street, Liesel hid behind her papa and seemed to be afraid of Max. Later on they tell each other about their nightmares and they seem to connect somehow. On Liesel's birthday Max apologizes that he didn't get her a present, but Liesel hugs him anyways. Max was touched and made her a book thanking her. They seem to have a deep friendship even though they haven't know each other for very long.
ReplyDeleteMax Vandenburg is an engaging character that has interested me to read more about him. When we first meet him he is very shy and feels like he has to lower himself when he is around Liesel. He feels that he has to live in the Hubermann's basement and I did not like that Rosa and Hans gave him his wish. Even though he is Jewish I feel as if he should become more confident with himself. Later on he fullfills my wish and starts to communicate with Liesel. They befriend and start to connect with one another. I really enjoyed that Max took the time to make Liesel a comic called the Stand Over Man. He incorporated his appreciation for Liesel for not judging him because he has been judged for being a Jewish man. Max is one of my favorite characters he is very intelligent and creative and shows his generosity with interesting objects and actions.
ReplyDeleteMax Vandenburg,seems like a very strong character.At first Liesel is intimidated and some what scared of him, but you could tell she was interested in him,and wanted to learn more about him .When the author explains how she would go and watch him while he would sleep, showed that she was curious.And once she goes downstairs, and communicates with Max, and listens to his point of view, you start to realize that Max has been through alot,which makes him strong inside, and even though he's been looked down upon by so many german people, he feels safe around Liesel, and is very honest with her.
ReplyDelete@Tiffany
ReplyDeleteRosa is a tough and well respected lady she likes to feel in power. She likes to run the household and I feel that she tries to accomplish this power by degrading the other people in the house. Now I am do not condone or support the words and the manner in which she uses them only that she has been through a lot and if she chooses to express herself in such a matter than we can do nothing but respect her.
I think, by the end of the book, Rosa redeemed herself a little. She was still rude, and enjoyed to yell at everyone, but seeing how much she loved her family was enough to make me like her more. She cared for Liesel's well being very much, she just had a funny way of showing it. However, in the times it really mattered, she was a very supportive parent and revealed her caring side.
ReplyDeletePersonally I love the character Liesel. Her ability to describe the weather to Max in such a childish way and then be able to act so maturely about keeping him a secret is very impressive. She is very determined and tough but she cares deeply for everybody. She never takes more than she needs and is great problem solver. Her personality traits vary so much and allow her to relate and touch many different parts of me.
ReplyDeleteZusak has created a very well rounded character, one that shows me that I can be knowledgeable but still have fun. Not only that, Leisel helped me connect and understand a book on what I believe is a important topic.
I actually really enjoy learning about what Rosa is going to do next. She really does love her family even though she doesn’t show it through her rough exterior. Name calling seems to be a typical event during any regular day, so I don't see it as anything different; because everyone else accepts it, it is deemed acceptable. Liesel and Rudy always call each other names but nobody has really said anything about that. Except that it is cute. But with Rosa it is considered mean. On Page 263 when Liesel comes home after Ilsa has to end the laundry service, Liesel is so mad she has to make other people mad to make them hurt her. She thinks that violence is the answer to make herself feel better and to get her anger out. She begged (in her mind) to be slapped by Ilsa and then when she got home she made up a story to get Rosa to give her a good Watschen. Her life is getting messed up by the drama and the secrets. Rosa didn't give her the Watschen and even tried to tell her that she doesn't believe that she said the mean things and that it wasn’t her fault for them canceling. In the end Liesel had to go downstairs and do many pushups to make herself feel better. Rosa is a very complex character and she obviously loves her whole family. It almost seems like her meanness is a shield to keep out the hurt. She shows that she doesn’t want to get too close because if she does and something bad happens she won’t be able to let go. I really respect Rosa’s character, she has been through a lot and there’s a lot more to come.
ReplyDeleteLiesel and Max have a very strong friendship now that they have gotten more comfortable with eachother. They care for eachother very much. When max was unhealthy and was sleeping for several days, liesel did not want to leave his side and she read to him 2 sometimes 3 times a day. She collected little gifts for him so when he awoke he would be comforted and feel loved. Liesel is a great friend towards Max and does not judge him. Max is also a great friend towards Liesel. He worked for a week to create a small book for Liesel as a late birthday present. They have connections and similarities like their dreams. They both have nightmares and they talk and share about them. I enjoy reading about Liesel and Max and their friendship.
ReplyDeleteI complete agree with Shandra. Liesel is an ineresting character that Zusak developed beautifully. I love when she describes the weather to Max because it shows that she cares and is doing something that will make him happy. When she brought in the snow for Max to make a snowman it truely touched my heart. When the whole family started to have fun with the snow inside made me laugh that there finally was something good happening to this family. Hans throwing a snowball as Rosa showed how this family can have fun together, laugh together and how Liesel has made an impact on their lives through small acts of kindness.
ReplyDeleteWhile Liesel isn’t perfect, I have to disagree with Amy’s opinion of her. I think what people sometimes forget is that Liesel is very young and has had a traumatic childhood; she’s bound to have issues.
ReplyDeleteShe’s had to overcome a lot in her short lifetime, from the death of her brother and separation from her mother, to adjusting to a new life in Molching. Despite all this, she’s grown from this adversity and is mature beyond her years, able to keep a secret as big as hiding a Jew in her basement flawlessly. Yes, she’s become a thief, but her intentions are almost never malicious and she’s still developing. Everyone makes mistakes at her age! Liesel is actually a fascinating character to me because she’s overcome so much in such a short time and though she’s (thankfully) had help with this from her caring foster father Hans and good friend Rudy, she’s still been strong enough to hold herself together.
As the main character of the book, eventually even sharing its title, Liesel Meminger was bound to be a unique and dynamic character. And she did not disappoint. I think her maturity and passion (for reading) are astounding for someone of her age. At first she admired Hitler appropriately for a German, but as she unmasked the cruelty of their leader she declared “I hate the Führer, I hate him!” (p. 115) and she accepts Max full-heartedly despite him being Jewish because that does not matter to her.
So basically, I found Liesel to be a mature and interesting character who, despite her numerous flaws, had overcome a lot of adversity and whose juvenility pardons her rash behaviour.
Personally I don't know if I would have the strength to keep going if I was Liesel. She is only a 14 year old girl that has gone through so many hard times already. She lost her brother on the way to live with the Hubermanns, her mother left her and Liesel has not heard anything from or about her since, she finally made a friend in Max but had to see him leave because Hans was being paranoid and then she had to see her new dad Hans (who she truly loved and trusted)go into the war. Even after she went through these events, she still is determined to keep a positive attitude about everything and not let anything stop her. I like how Markus Zusak developed Liesel because at the beginning she was a little girl but now she truly has developed into a bigger character. She is only 14 but she dealing with situations like she was an adult.
ReplyDeleteA very interesting character is Max. He is the jewish man that the Hubbermans are keeping safe in their basement. It is very hard to be jewish in this time because of the Nazi's. They are trying to get rid of the jews because they feel as if they are worthless. Max has always been the guy who wont go down with out a fight. While growing up he loved to be a fist fighter. He is a true symbol of strength. Max is always doing his push-ups to become stronger for the time that he is going to need it. Leisel and Max instantly became great friends. Their friendship would continue to grow throughout this novel. Max basically is stranded in the basement with nothing to do. This is very hard for Max. I am the kind of person that hates being bored so i know how Maz feels. I would never be able to do what he does unless i was fighting for my life. Max is trying to stay alive every day and hoping that the Nazi's dont find out that he is hiding in the basement. First of all he is hiding in a Germans basement, not a very good idea. Max and Leisel continually share their nightmares with each other. Max always has a dream about fighting Hitler. Max believes that these dreams/nightmares might come true one day so he trys to gain muscle to be prepared. By doing all of these push-ups it helps him gain alot of strength. With Max's boredom he makes a book for Leisel. The book contains illustrations called "The Standover Man". This book was about how he is always looked down upon. He is basically saying thank you to Leisel and the family for not treating him with disrespect. It is very hard for Max to feel safe in this house because the Hubbermans are German. From living with them for this period of time he gains trust and respect dfor the family and begins to feel more comfortable in this household. Max is an extrordinary character and the ultimate symbol of strength.
ReplyDelete@Taylor
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your analysis of Max he is a strong and very determined man. He has already been through a lot; he takes his lumps and begs for them to keep coming. This is shown when he has the vision about himself facing Hitler. In this moment he is only focusing on Hitler’s words rather than his actions for he knows man to man he can beat him anytime. But, like many of his time he knows that public voice and action is much stronger than anyone person can ever be. That is why even when he knows he can take Hitler he continues to keep getting stronger and stays dedicated to his training so that if the moment ever did come where he would have to save his back he would be ready and willing to take any challenge that came his way. I also, somehow feel that although Max is not a very educated man he is a smart almost wise man. He knows that kindness and caring are some of the most important qualities that one may have and shows these qualities to anyone that he has ever encountered. In conclusion Max is a fighting man, with good qualities and is overall a very well rounded man, who knows his place and does not dare push the boundaries.
Personally though my favourite character is none other than Mr. Hans Hubermann. He is my favourite character for a number of reasons, one is that he is just so kind and caring for everyone he doesn’t who you are or where you came from he always treats you the same way. Also, he seems to be quite the musician playing the accordion which he learned to play from a fellow soldier in the army. Even after all these years he still feels regret for not going out on that day of battle and being the only soldier to survive and come back home. He even kept his word after all these years that he would help out Mr. Vandenburg and his family. This leads to the coming of Max. Even though Max is a Jew during these war run times, Hans opens up his heart forgets about reality and allows this fine young gentlemen into his basement, while still feeding him and allowing him to come upstairs on rare occasions. Also, he has the biggest heart of anyone I have ever met. Like said by Liesel, “Who else would do some painting for the price of half a cigarette.” Just by this one passage you can see that this one man will do anything and everything to help people out of their misery during these times. Another example of his heart is displayed when he brings home two new books for Liesel’s birthday even though this meant trading away his cigarettes, but making a little girl smile from ear to ear. All in all he is a great man and I wish there had been more people like him around for I feel a group could have turned it all around. Let me know what you think?
ReplyDelete@Jordan
ReplyDeleteYou make a good point about Liesel and her struggle through everything. But on top of everything I feel that he had to feel these struggles early in life to even live on Himmel Street. Although no child should have to face these challenges this early I feel that it was great that she did in fact face these challenges for she would need to be even stronger in the years to come. Yes, she is a very strong individual, but at the same time she knew no better, she was just an innocent child coming into a scene that was painted with a very tainted brush, she came in at an unfortunate time. Don’t get me wrong she is a very strong character, but she may also have known no better.
Max Vandenberg is a very interesting character. Max is the boy that is being kept in Hans basement in this novel. Max is the son of the man that saved Hans from WW1. Max is a very strong guy because most of the time he tries dealing with things through physical activity.Max becomes best friends with Liesel during the reign of the Nazi's. This time is the hardest time for Max because, Max is forced to hide in the basement, it is really hard for him to hide in the basement because he is having to go through everyday with nothing to keep him busy. If I was suppose to hide in someones basement like that i would literally commit suicide because being in a empty room with nothing to do is probably the most boring thing that could happen to anyone on this planet. But the good thing is that Max is determined to stay in the basement as long as he needs to until the war is over, or at least until the Nazis stop looking for him. Max also has a reason to be worried because he is being hidden in a Germans basement, but the German people who are keeping him in the basement are not the kind of Germans out to kill all jewish people, at this point Max is probably striking pure luck where a German family is hiding him. Max and Liesel have a very good connection with each other, both of them like to share their nightmares with each other. I would not call this one a nightmare but Max has a dream where he fights the Nazi leader Adolf Hitler. If Max calls that a nightmare where he beats someone up, i really cannot say anything about his dreams. So, at this point Max is always doing push-ups believing that his "nightmare" will come true.
ReplyDeleteLiesel is definitely one of my favourite characters. I think she's very stubborn at times, or just strong-willed. She's caring, especially towards Max because she took care of him so well and she always hopes that he will be alright. Liesel is also extremely brave; she was able and wanted to steal with the boys. When something bad hit home, for example; Hans going to war; she stayed strong even though Rosa fell apart. That shows the strength she has. When her brother and her mom left her, she was devastated but she moved on, and lives happily with her foster family. I wonder how she'd be like if she ended up with a different family though... Would that change anything or everything? I love how Liesel always picks a fight with Rudy and she wouldn't give him a kiss, but as I read on, I started to get the feeling that she has already fallen in love with him. On page 455, I think Liesel was thinking this herself, " kiss him, Liesel, kiss him." She wanted to kiss him, but she didn't want to go back on her words.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite character in this novel would be a character that I enjoyed a lot Hans Hubermann the stepfather of Liesel. When you think of foster parents you wouldn't think of them being loving and caring. This novel shows that when you become a foster child and the conflicts it has when your being raised by people other then your birth mother that some people in your life will try to make things better such as Hans and Rudy and others will try to make it hard. The character of Hans Hubermann is probably the most loving and caring character in the novel, in my opinion. He is the one character thats attaches himself to Liesel. This shows how much passion he has for her and that he really wants to be there for her. When you compare him to his wife Rosa Hubermann, he is much more pleasing to be around. An example of this would be when Liesel has her nightmares he is always there to comfort her and help her go back to sleep. He also teaches her to read and write when she is behind in school. It portrays an image that he really is passionate and sensitive considering the situations she has been throughout her life with her mother leaving her and her brothers death. For example on page 65 where he finds out that she had wet the sheets and carries her to the washroom where he cleans her up. He understands that she wet the bed and instead of getting mad at her he comforted her and helped her how to read. This is why Hans Hubermann is my favorite character it shows that he is caring, loving, understanding, and also kind hearted.
ReplyDeleteRosa is kind of a weird character because she really does not do a lot of major things in this novel, if you ask me i do not like Rosa, I don't really think she is a involving character like Liesel, Hans, and Max. Rosa Hubermann is Liesels foster mother. She really loves Liesel but does not show it most of the time. Rosa cusses a lot and is known for being tough. Her most used words are 'saumensch' and 'saukerl'. One thing that i feel like that is a fact is when Rosa swears she tries to hide the softness inside of her, with the showing of her being mean. She does not stay too attached to anyone because if something bad happens to them she won't be able to handle the pain. To conclude this, I would say i should not say she is a bad character because there is probably more to see about her.
ReplyDeleteWell this is the first time i posted anything so I'm going to pretend like I'm way at the beginning of the novel.
ReplyDeleteI found that it took till about page 90 until we finally met the characters and had a feel for them, by then we knew that Hans is very caring and empathetic towards Liesel since she came from living a life of poverty, and her brother just died. Hans is always there for Liesel whenever she needs him at anytime of the day and when Liesel doesn't want to do what Rosa Hubermann is asking her too. For example Hans taught Liesel how to roll cigarettes when she didn't want to have a bath, as well he taught her how to read and write although he wasn't the greatest at both himself. Hans is definitely a role model for Liesel and probably my favourite character since he is so laid back and is very loyal to Liesel. Rosa appears as a very rude character and she doesn't fear speaking her mind. As Jessie said she doesn't really show much affection towards Hans or Liesel by always swearing at them and their neighbours. Rudy is another character that is mentioned quite frequently at this part of the book, he is a wacky character since he does lots of stuff without thinking it through first, especially when he went running around a circuit/running track covered in charcoal and pretending that he was Jesse Owens at the Olympics.
When we first got introduced to max i didn't understand why death was talking about this random person that we had no prior knowledge about. Throughout the book though I have grown to like him. I like the way that he just keeps to himself and even though thats what he's supposed to do it just seems like he takes it to another level. I think that i like him so much because of how grateful he is for the Hubermanns services.
ReplyDeleteMadison I agree with you. Max is very greatful for the Hubermanns and he feels like he doesn't deserve all of the kindness because he is putting their lives in danger. Max was extremely shy at first but as he got to know Liesel mostly, they became good friends.
ReplyDeleteHans Hubermann is one of my favourite characters. He is so brave and caring. He is the kind of dad any girl would want to have. In many stories when you hear about foster parents, they are usually not very nice people and are mean to the child or children. Hans is the total opposite. He is such an amazing father to Liesel, teaching her to read and standing up for her when Rosa is not being nice. He is very brave, making the choice to take in Max. He was also trustworthy, because when he made the promise to Vandenburg’s wife, that if she ever needed anything to come to him, and he kept his promise by taking in Max. Hans was a very generous person, painting people’s windows for free to protect them, and giving the Jew a piece of bread. He had made some mistakes, but they were because he wanted to help, and I think that it is really sad that because of his generosity, he had to go to war. I haven’t finished reading the book yet, but I really hope that Hans is able to get home safe from the war and back to his family. He is a really good person, and in my opinion doesn’t deserve to have anything bad happen to him.
ReplyDeleteI actually admire Liesel's character. Most children now a days have many tantrums when they don't get their way, however Liesel only had one tantrum, and that was when they were trying to persuade her to enter her new home. This really isn't unrealistic seeing as her mother just left and her brother died, she could hardly be expected to take things quietly. Admittedly, she did have some other angry outbursts but none of them were for a childish reason, such as wanting more toys or something. She realised her family was poor and she never asked for more then what was given to her. If she did need more, she took it in her own hands to get what she needed, she didn't depend on anyone. Her strategies, however, for obtaining what she wanted could be debated, but what she stole did not seriously hurt anyone or cause any major trouble. She also seemed to steal only when there was enough. For example, some apples off off a tree filled with apples or a couple books out of a huge library. It doesn't make it right, but at least she wasn't stealing from a poor family that didn't have anything to spare. Also, she handles a crisis very easily. As a child, for most people it would be too much to ask, first of all to go live with another family (with a new mother who enjoys her vulgar language) after your brother dies and mom leaves forever. On top of that, there were other things, like keeping a secret that you're hiding a Jew in a basement. She is very mature for her age, and even being a criminal, she gives off that innocent 'vibe' children seem to have.
ReplyDeleteRudy is a very complex character. At the beginning of the book, he seemed like the boy that thought he was all that, and that all the girls wanted him. He was competitive when it came to soccer, and thought that Liesel wanted to kiss him. I wasn’t sure if Liesel would be friends with him, but in the end, they became great friends. They were there for each other through thick and thin, whether it was playing soccer, stealing apples, or stealing books. After his father left for war, it said that Rudy wasn’t the same, and didn’t talk. This made me sad because it shows what having your father leave can do to a young boy. I haven’t finished the book yet so I’m not sure when Rudy dies, but I really don’t want him to die. I think that Liesel needs him, and it’s going to be really hard for her when he dies. Over all, I think that Rudy is a very interesting character.
ReplyDeleteOne character that I really don't like is Rosa Hubermann. I don't care for her because of the way that she treats everyone in her family. i think that it is very unfair and very rude.
ReplyDeleteMadison I have to disagree. Although at times Rosa may seem rude or angry at her family, she really does love them. Rosa is just one of those characters that express their love in a different way.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Madison I really dislike Rosa Hubermann she is very rude and mean. I think if she was my foster parent I would run away. In the novel she is very rude to Liesel and her husband Hans. I think the author Markus Zusak portrays her in a rude way because he wants to paint a picture of how some people in your life can be controlling it shows by the way she acts around Liesel and Hans. For example when she always swears at Liesel calling her a Suamensch and an Arschloch. It shows that she doesn't have as much passion for Liesel like Hans does. She doesn't treat her like she is loved in the Hubermann family. It paints a picture in my mind of that she is not wanted in the house. A prime example of how she treats Liesel would be on page 55 where Liesel gets her clothes dirty and says "She's going to kill me" this shows that she is scared of her. It intimidates Liesel when her mother Rosa swears/yells at her. I would have to say that Rosa Hubermann is my least favorite character in the novel because of her actions and her personality traits. She is rude, mean, strict, and violent. I would not think that Rosa Hubermann is a good mother figure for Liesel.
ReplyDeleteMPanchhi, I disagree with you. Rosa may be controlling and mean but it doesn't mean that she doesn't love Liesel. She may not treat her like Hans does, she just shows her love in an odd way. In any family if a child came home with dirty clothes I wouldn't be surprised if the child was afraid of being killed. That is not an unusual situation because I know it has happened to me as a child and most likely many others. All mothers yell sometimes, just maybe not as much as Rosa. It doesn't mean she is a bad mother. I can agree that Rosa may not be the most ideal mother figure, but she is the only mother Liesel has now, and I believe that Liesel has come to like her.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLiesel Meminger has been an exceptional character throughout the novel. At the beginning her brother died but she was very strong about it. She was decently behaved when she moved into her foster parents house considering she had to leave her mom for a long time. I really enjoyed that she opened up to Hans and was determined to learn how to write and read. She was a bit of a tomboy and a rebel. It's interesting that she had the guts to continually steal the books. I would definitely not have the nerve to do something like that. All of Liesel's connections with people were a really good part of the book. Like with Hans, Max, and Rudy. Her connection with Hans is very intense because he was the first person to connect with her when she moved in. He was the one who taught her to do her favorite thing so he was very inspirational for her. Her connection with Max was like her second brother. I thought it was interesting that a German girl could have such a good relationship with a Jew. I like that she didn't care that he was Jewish even though Germans were forced to hate the Jews. Her connection with Rudy was complex but I thought it was really cute how she kissed him when he was dead. She is also very strong for seeing all of the people she loved die in front of her. I think she is an intelligent girl but really open to learn. I like that about her and it amazes me that she isn't broken down from all the stuff she has gone through. Overall, I enjoy her as a character and her relationships with people has really impacted the story in a positive way.
ReplyDeleteI liked the character of Ilsa Hermann in this novel. At first you just think that she is just one of those minor characters that really isn’t going to be important at all. After the book burning - where she saw Liesel steal one of the books, she invites her into her own personal library. Of course, knowing the character of Liesel, she could not say no to go into the library and reading all those books, the desire was just to strong to resist. When the Hermann’s fired Rosa Hubermann, Ilsa tried to offer Liesel a book to make up for the fact that he foster moms services were no longer wanted. Of course, Liesel exploded and didn’t take the book form her. She then came once and a while, taking one book from the library at a time. Ilsa of course, left her window open through all of this; even know she knew it was going on. She eventually closed the window and left a dictionary outside for Liesel with a note inside. The note explained that she knew that Liesel was stealing the books and that she wished she would come to the door like a civilized person. (pg. 269)
ReplyDeleteIlsa Hermann is a really good character in the book, and even more so at the end where she helps Liesel out once everyone else is gone.
Ilsa Hermann is known to be Liesels friend in this novel. They are not best friends, but just normal friends. Ilsa is the person who had seen Liesel steal her second book. Ilsa is known for reading inside her library, so thats one thing that shows she is probably a smart person. I really do not know a lot about Ilsa but she is just a straight forward character who does not have a lot of stuff to express, like Hans does, and sometimes how Liesel does. At one part Ilsa and Liesel's friendship finishes throught the middle of the novel, but at the end they become friends again.
ReplyDeleteRosa Hubermann is definitely a character that stuck out for me. At the beginning of the novel, she appears to be a woman who despises everything and everyone. She swears and yells at her foster child and husband, and doesn't seem to care one bit about either of them. When Max comes into the picture, I thought that would be the last straw for her, but that wasn't exactly the case. By the end of the book, her personality completely changes. On page 207, Max says that just eating scraps is fine, but Rosa insists on getting him the best she can make. On page 374, Rosa holds on to Liesel when they're in the shelter and sings her a song. Rosa is strict, but she cares for her family, even though she has a strange way to show it.
ReplyDeleteEarlier I said that I really despise Isla Hermann, but now I have to take my words back because as I saw more of her, I came to understood that she is actually a very nice woman. The facts like that she did not tell on Liesel, when she saw her stealing the books; that she welcomed her in her house and allowed her to read the book from her library; that she did not tell the police when she saw Liesel’s footsteps on her floor and witnessed that Liesel now stills book from her; that she took Liesel’s insulting words calmly and considered them to really try to change herself; and most importantly that she did not came to hate Liesel after everything that happened between them, but tried to understand the girl and forgive Liesel for her unreserved manners. Isla Hermann deserves to be respected as a good -hearted woman.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI really like Rudy’s character in the novel: his openness, sincerity, trustworthiness, straightforwardness, ability to stand up for himself and even his childish naiveté. He really amuses me, and I really like his relationship with Liesel. He is a friend you want to have: always there when you need him, willing to help, trying to understand and cheer you up. I just really wish that fate was more kind and fair to him…
ReplyDeleteAnother character that stuck out for me was Hans Hubermann, Liesel's foster father. Although he has not known Liesel for a very long time, Hans developed a strong bond between father and daughter by reading books and spending time with her. I think he is a great character because he sticks with what he believes in. He doesn't support the Nazi Party, even though his son hates him for it, and he saves the life of a Jew, even though it puts his life in danger. In the scene where he hands bread to a starving Jew passing through Himmel Street, I think it was brave of him to do something so risky.
ReplyDeleteThroughout the book I’ve had mixed feelings for the character of Death. My first impressions of Death were that he was going to be dark, heartless, creepy and someone everyone should fear. Though, Zusak portrayed Death in a completely different way. Instead of following all the typical stereotypes of Death, he did the opposite. He gave Death a personality that made him seem like an average guy, someone who could be us. He related characteristics of Death to average people, for example his job. Death has a job that no one else does; he carries away the souls of the dead. He describes this job as stressful, hard, never gets a break, but has to be done. A lot of people can say their jobs are described like that. Also, Zusak gave Death a personality of being likeable, somewhat sympathetic and cynical. This just gives you the impression that Death could be a person like everyone else, just with a different meaning. The last line of the book that Death says in bold is “I am haunted by humans”. This to me was a powerful line and made me think a while after finishing the book. It made me feel sorry for Death because he can never die, no one can replace his job. He constantly has to take the souls of the dead and take them away from beloved family members. He sees thousands of people die each day and it’s never ending. I would think having witnessed many deaths and tragedies of taking souls, Death wouldn’t care so much. After his narration of the life of Liesel Meminger, I was surprised to see that the heartbreaking and fortunate times of her life was enough to see the sympathetic and true personality of Death.
ReplyDeleteI really like the character Rudy. He can be a cocky, arrogant teenager, but he really was such a sweet boy with so much determination in him. His friendship with Liesel was what caught onto me at first and most people probably already predicted that they would both fall in love, but never had they thought that it would end how it ended in the book. Well I didn't, that's for sure. I liked how he'd always ask Liesel for a kiss, but he never got it and when he did, he wasn't exactly there to witness it. What a shame, I thought. His death did upset me a bit. "How about a kiss, Saumensch?" That was definitely one of my favourite lines in the book. No matter how cold he was or how much dirt engulfed his body, you can count on Rudy to bring up that line. On page 303 Death stated, "In truth, I think he was afraid. Rudy Steiner was scared of the book theifs's kiss. He must have longed for it so much. He must have loved her so incredibly hard. So hard that he would never ask for her lips again and would go to his grave without them." I think what Death said was true. Rudy must have loved Liesel so much, that he didn't want to force or pressure her do something she might not have wanted to do. Liesel on the other hand longed for his kiss, but she wanted Rudy to make the move. In the end, she kissed his cold, empty body that Death had robbed so tearfully. If Rudy didn't die, I think they would've stayed together, but the author killed him off for a reason. Same thing for the kiss too. From the start, maybe Markus had planned for Liesel to be with Max, therefore not allowing her to kiss Rudy when he was alive and taking him out of the book. Her friendship with Max was quite obvious that there was some kind of love between them. She seemed way too heartbroken when Max was gone and that gave her feelings away. Back to Rudy, he also shows his love for Liesel by always trying to be by her side and helping her with all sorts of things. When Liesel stayed at home for four days and didn't come out, Rudy was go and knock on the Hubermanns door everyday and ask if she was alright. Rudy almost always accompanied Liesel when she want to 8 Grande Strasse, or Amper River and just about anywhere. Those short and sweet adventures made them feel more attached to eachother. Rudy was an extremely caring character. He had many siblings and it seems that he did his rightful duties that a brother should. "He lay in bed with one of his sisters. She must have kicked him or muscled her way into the majority of the bed space because he was on the very edge with his arm around her. The boy slept. His candlelit hair ignited the bed..." (Page 531) Rudy died holding onto his sister. (Page 531) Death thought, "Where was someone to alleviate this robbery of his life? Who was there to soothe him as a life's rug was snatched from under his sleping feet? No One. There was only me." Although, nobody was able to give Rudy some sort of item before he died, at least he didn't die alone. Rudy was someone special in this book. You can tell, because he made Death cry.
ReplyDeleteI really like the relationship between Max and Liesel. They always talk, and it seems like they can basically talk about anything. They always tell each other their dreams, which I think is sweet, and when Max was extremely ill, she would stay by his bed, and bring him little gifts she could find. Although Max has put Liesel’s family in danger by staying there, the Hubermann’s care for him a lot. For example, on page 315, during Max’s sickness, Rosa says to Hans: “I didn’t bring this man into my house to watch him die,” (page 315). They take really good care of him all the time and he has basically become a member of the family. Max is really good at looking for the positive side. Despite all that he’s been through, and that now he is living in a basement, he still manages to find some reason to be happy. For example, on page 313, Max says: “Often I wish this would all be over, Liesel, but then some how you do something like walk down the basement steps with and snowman in your hand,” (page 313). I think that since this story already has such a dark, depressing mood to it, it’s good to have a character with positive thinking, even if he is the victim.
ReplyDeleteSo far, I’m really liking the character Max Vandenburg. He seems like a very easy-going person. For instance, when he was younger, he was always getting into fights, which shows he had a fun (and quite rebellious) side to him. However, when he’s got this “dirty Jew” label thrown on him, and Wolrd War II starts, it forces him to grow up, and makes him realize the important things in life. He becomes extremely grateful and humble of the Hubermann family for risking their lives and letting him hide out in their basement.
ReplyDeleteI have a theory, that maybe he always felt the need to fight with Wenzel because he wanted revenge for his father’s death when he was so young. I mean, obviously Wenzel did not actually kill Max’s dad himself, But possibly Max has some sort of angst in himself that he just so happened to take out on this first guy who wanted a piece of him. And after that, one fight just kind of led onto another.
Like I said, just a theory. It’s how I like to think of it.
As read the book i found myself liking Liesel's character more and more. I liked how she was such a strong girl at such a young age, for example i don't think i would have been able to handle my brother dieing and having to leave my mom all in in one day as well as she did being so young to. She was polite to her family but i didn't like the way she would steal from the mayors wife even though she let her read them for free. I thought Liesel and Rudy were so cute together i think if Rudy had lived they would have dated and gotten married. I liked how Liesel was such a determind young girl from the way she pushed herself until accomplished her goal on being able to read. Liesel seemed very mature for her age but i guess in her situation she kind of had to be.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy the character of Rosa Hubermann she was one of the characters that really had caught my attention. I believe the overall idea of her is great, a middle-aged woman who is definetely not afraid to speak her mind seeing almost every sentence she speaks has the word "saumensch" in it. Also the way she parents Liesel, she is very strict and rough with her. Even though she is like this she still loves Liesel and Hans even if she treats them badly, it was just the way the author wanted Rosa to show her love to them. Throughout the book she shows tough love to Liesel but towards the end of the book in the bomb shelter she sung to Liesel. Rosa does love her family but in a tough love kind of way.
ReplyDeleteTo be totally honest, I never really didn’t like Rosa. Because, yeah, she’s horribly mean to Liesel, and pretty grumpy towards everyone else, including total strangers, but you have to understand something. Look at her situation. They’re in the middle of World War II. The economy of Germany is terrible. They’re barely making ends meet as it is. She is basically the only one in the household bringing in money, and still that is hardly enough. She probably feels like she’s the only one really doing anything to help her family stay grounded.
ReplyDeletePlus, even nowadays, taking in a foster child isn’t easy.
It also doesn’t help when he husband randomly decides to let a Jew stay in their basement. It’s putting the entire family’s lives in danger. So maybe she feels that all her hard work she’s done over the years is being thrown out the window. And even though Max said he would be okay with just eating scraps, Rosa would feel bad, because he’s already been through so much. So it’s basically just another mouth to feed, which is pretty hard to handle in their economic state.
I think the Character Max Vandenburg is pretty amazing. He basically goes from place to place expecting to either get moved or killed. He's willing to sit there, eat, and sleep without making a sound. He sits in the smallest confined space with no light, doesnt eat for days, and never complains about anything. The one thing that he said that I thought was pretty true was, "Other people are risking there lives to keep me alive and I dont even know who they are."
ReplyDeleteI think that the character Death didn't stand out in the book. He told the story but it did not feel like he was really a character in the story. I think because his main focus was on the other characters of the story such as Liesel and her new family. He mentioned "I do not carry a sickle or scythe. I only wear a hooded black robe when it's cold. And i don't ahve those skull-like facial features you seem to enjoy pinning on me from a distance." This is about the most that I have read about him so far.
ReplyDeleteIn this novel, the character of Death has been portrayed as a misunderstood being that is the complete opposite of the normal stereotype. The normal stereotype is a emotionless individual with its body cloaked in a black robe holding a scythe. On page 307, it describes itself as not fitting any of those traits. Instead, it tells the reader to find a mirror, hinting at the possibility that Death is just a normal looking being. The very last line of the book, "I am haunted by humans" could mean a lot of things. Humans are haunted by Death, because their last moment could be at anytime. Death however, is haunted by humans, because it always has that job of watching over people, waiting until its time to take their souls.
ReplyDeleteHans and Liesel relationship and personality remind me of Scout and Atticus from To Kill a Mocking Bird. Liesel's personality reminds me of Scout In my opinion, Liesel gives of a sort of tomboy persona because her bestfriends are boys,she plays soccer with the all the boys,steals and doesn't seem to act the way a young girl would back in those says. Hans and Atticus seem similar to me because, Hans is not strict about what Liesel does,and lets her explore and find out things for herself, he also gives good advice and is there for her when she needs help.This reminds me of Scouts and Atticus relationship.
ReplyDeleteKelly,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you. Rosa is doing the best that she can with what is put in front of her.
Of course Hans could help out more. He is a really good father figure to liesel, and he treats her as she should be treated but she could probably do without as much as she has. Hans could go get a job and make more money to help out with them or even learn a new trade to help with the money problem. If he actually joined the nazi party would they have been in a better state of shape. ?
One of the characters I found most interesting was the character of Ilsa Hermann. She is a very well rounded person, although she has a very bleak and dull personality she is still a caring woman. Even in a tough war run time, she sees that Liesel shows some hope and strives to be the best possible person she can be. Although, Ilsa knows that Liesel is stealing from her, she can over look this so that Liesel can continue on with her reading. She only wishes that Liesel would knock on the front door, and stay awhile if only brief, so that they can share some days together as they did when Liesel used to come for the Mayor’s Wife’s cleaning. I also, feel for this character because of the loss of her son. She leaves the window open every day hoping that if nothing else her son’s spirit will return. All in all she seems to be a great woman and a great contributor to the story.
ReplyDeleteWhile I was thinking about my favourite characters, two came up specifically. Death and Rudy. I really think death is a character because he is active in everything, even though he cannot talk with the characters. I also think it would be really cool if death could interact with leisel. Rudy is also my favourite, because hes just so cute. He's such a good friend to Leisel and I really wish that they ended up being more than friends before it was too late. It's not fair that he died.
ReplyDeleteTo me Max was an unusual character because despite his strength, both mental and physical, he was fragile. Even in his youth he was strong-willed and got into fist fighting, and that inner strength hadn’t yet died out when we met him. He was also physically strong, as demonstrated by his exercising in the basement. “Three sets each of sixteen push-ups and twenty-two sit-ups” (p. 250-251) is not bad – more than I could do :) – and certainly impressive for someone who doesn’t eat much. Likely this muscle came from his childhood fighting.
ReplyDeleteHowever despite these attributes, he’s let the Führer’s words get to him, and sees himself as inferior and worthless as Hitler made Jews out to be. He told the Hubermann’s he didn’t mind hiding in the basement and even said the area set-up for him down there was “Better than I deserve” (p. 208)
Max was nevertheless a very caring and thoughtful person, a good friend and almost like a brother to Liesel. As Hans pointed out, the two had much in common. Both suffered from nightmares, were strong-willed and were intelligent and mature, though not without some exceptions to the mature part. I think these similarities, and most importantly these mutual “flaws” brought them closer together because they were able to truly understand each other’s issues and help them work through it.
I really liked Max as a character and wished that things had worked out better for him, though I did really enjoy the scene between him and Liesel during the so-called parade, even if it was a little sad.
I think Max is a very interesting character. He is strong and has drive and thats what I like most about him. He pushes himself to be strong by doing his push-ups everyday incase one day he does get his match up with Hitler in the boxing ring. He knows one day this will be one and he will be back with his family but until that day he will stay in the cold basement of the Hubermanns.
ReplyDeleteAt the beginning, I didn’t like Rosa Hubermann because she was rude and ruthless, with vulgar words such as Saukerl and Arschloch streaming out of her mouth 24/7, often directed at the people most important to her. Though even then I was not fully adverse to her character because I knew, as Death said, that “she did love Liesel Meminger. Her way of showing it just happened to be strange.” (p. 35)
ReplyDeleteAs I read further into the book, I realised the Hubermann family was not exactly prosperous; lower-middle class at best. Life was not easy for them, with money being tight and food being even tighter, and they ate Rosa’s putrid pea soup almost every night. I decided then that Rosa used her improper and rude behaviour as a defence mechanism against her problems in the same way people often use humour to distract themselves from what’s really going on.
Like a hard candy with a gooey centre, I think deep down Rosa had a really big heart and was in truth a good mother, but she put up a rough exterior to keep others at bay. Max’s arrival however, bit into this hard shell and cracked “the human wardrobe”. After they agreed to hide Max, Rosa became a much more caring, motherly figure, showing her love for Liesel, Hans and even Max in a much more typical fashion. This Rosa I enjoyed a whole lot more, for obvious reasons and while some could argue that her change was uncharacteristic, I believe that she was always truly like this at her core, but was kind of putting on an act at the beginning (perhaps to show Liesel who was boss and establish a sense of obedience into her?)
When Hans left for war, we saw a more vulnerable, emotive Rosa and I think the moment when Liesel caught her sitting awake hugging the accordion that I realised there was more emotional depth to her than I had thought. Like Death said, “Make no mistake, the woman had a heart. She had a bigger one than people would think.” (p.532)
Max is a strange character that views the world differently than others. For example he has daydreams of the fight between the Nazi's and the Jews as a boxing match between Hitler and himself. The referee says that if Hitler begins to lose, he will turn away and let Hitler do whatever it takes to beat him. This is just like Hitler mistreating the Jews, the people turn their heads and pretend not to care. In the boxing match Hitler makes a speech to the spectators (which represent all the German people) about why the Jews are so awful and that everyone should join together to defeat them. Max describes that could feel the fists of the entire nation, this is important because that is how all of the Jews felt at the time.
ReplyDelete@Alex
ReplyDeleteI know! I really wanted them to be together too, but it seemed like the author didn't want that to happen. It was so saddening, because it felt like he purposely built up their relationship and then ended it so quickly. At first, I had mixed feelings whether she loved Rudy or Max, but I think she loved both of them.
@Ryan Regocki, I completely feel the same, and I think that Hans Huberman recognises this in the novel since he is such a loving and understanding man. Although Liesel does not understand it, I think Hans helps her get through it even though he doesn't explain this to her completely.
ReplyDelete@ tamara.
ReplyDeleteAbout the boxing match between Max and Hitler, it was saying how hitler was winning and Max was getting beaten but then when he told Liesel about the dreams she asked who would win and Max said that he won. I was confused when i read that.
Liesel and Max had a very close relationship with eachother. They haven't known eachother very long but they were each able to let the other one in. When Max had to leave the Hubermann's basement, you could tell that Liesel was very sad and disappointed. She truly did care about Max. After Max was gone for a while and they hadn't heard back from him in a while, Hans and Rosa gave up hope a little bit because they knew that the odds weren't the greatest. But Liesel who as a child didn't completely know the severity of the situation continued to believe and look for Max. When she finally found Max in the parade of Jews, you could feel Liesel's excitement but when he was taken away again there was definately saddness. Max and Liesel both cared about eachother the same way because neither one of them gave up hope in finding the other, no matter the situation.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jordan. I think Max's and Liesel's relationship makes this book and gives an interesting spin on a German and Jewish friendship during this time. From the beginning when Max made The Standover Man for Liesel's birthday really started off there realtionship and it kept growing from there. As Liesel started to get to know Max more and get more comfortable with him being around the house made the relationship like a brother/sister relationship. When Liesel started finding old newspapers for Max to read really showed ho she was thinking about him. Then when she started discribing the weather to Max and bringing the snow inside to make a snowman showed how they can have fun together. I love this relationship and i think Max has a place in Liesel's heart where he brother was.
ReplyDeleteI’d say that Hans Hubermannn is my favorite character in this book. He is always there for Liesel, in the middle of the night and when she gets hurt or needs help. Hans is a quiet, kind and caring man. Whenever his silver eyes are mentioned, I think of a liquid silver paint, but the color is in his eyes and it is light up with life. Liesel says “I hate the Futher…I hate him.” at the end of page 115, then Hans slaps Liesel in the face on beginning of page 116. After reading this I was so surprised that it had happened and I thought that maybe that I had made it up, so I reread that part. When I understood, I imagined how hard it must have been for Hans to do this. Even though he himself does not like the Futher, he had to do or say something because someone could have heard Liesel say this and it would have lead to be a very different story. I don’t think that Liesel would want any other person for father, just the loving Hans Hubermann.
ReplyDeleteRosa Hubermann is a character who loves to swear and call people “filthy pigs”. She is very aggressive towards her husband and to Liesel. If my mom was calling me a filthy pig I don’t think I would be able to take it as lightly as Liesel does. I think that through all the toughness that Rosa put out she is really a good mother to Liesel, and we have seen her break down a few times throughout the book. Like during the first bombing, which turns out to be a false alarm. She tells Liesel to come to her and grabs hold of her hand, and then later on Liesel has to tell her mama to loosen her grip because she is squishing her hand. Also when the mayor’s wife Ilsa Hermann gives Liesel the note to give to her mama saying they can’t pay for the washing anymore, and Liesel says that it was her fault that Ilsa was stopping the washing. Rosa does not believe her because she knows that Liesel would do something. She knows that Liesel is a good kid and her mama loves her too. Even if it is demonstrated through a watschen.
ReplyDeleteI'm not quite sure on how I feel about Liesel. Even though she's the main character and all, nothing about her really sticks out to me. She doesn't annoy me nor excite me. She just kind of...is. She doesn't really seem to have that much of a personality to me, just kind of a go-with-the-flow kind of person. Just your typical, curious, yet slightly rebellious little girl.
ReplyDelete@Jordan
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you even during the time that Max left the Hubermanns because of fear that the Nazi or someone might find him. Liesle had hope, and she strongly wanted to believe that he was ok. She would always go check if he was among the Jews marching through the streets, in hopes that he was still alive (page 509). I also could tell how happy and exited Liesle was when she saw Max was still alive, and her disappointment was quite evident too when Max was taken away. I also agree with you, pn the fact that both Max and Liesle cared about each other and their hopes and determination to find each other again proves that. For instance Max came looking for Liesle at the end of the war which shows he also deeply cared about her (page548).
I'm going to disagree with about half of the people on here.
ReplyDeleteI actually like Rudy.
I think it's cute how it's just your classic elementary school crush.
And I think that his oblivion to Liesel's actual life is a little ironic. Because he's all like, “Ohh, Liesel! Kiss me!”, but yet he's all into the “Heil Hitler” thing, and she's become good friends with a Jew that she's hiding in her basement. I can't help but wonder how he would look at her differently if he knew about her secret.
And his little obsession with Jesse Owens is kind of nifty, too. Because, like someone previously stated (I forget who, sorry!), Jesse Owens was pretty brave going to the Olympics when her knew Hitler would be there. And back then, African American people weren't really accepted too well. So Rudy finds him as a role model, I think he'd be a good influence, and the charisma suits Rudy very nicely.
I think that almost everyones favourite character from this book is Hans Hubermann. He is definitely my favourite character from the book, and it seems as if he makes it worth reading more of since he is such a positive person.
ReplyDeleteThroughout a majority of the book he is so kind and caring to everyone, from staying up late with Liesel in her times of need, to taking in a jew to live in his basement, and most of all giving a piece of bread to a Jew on his way to the concentration camp. Which in the end he got punished for and suffered regret since this caused Max to leave out of paranoia that the Gestapo would come to search the house.
I think Hans Hubermann is mainly everyones favourite character because we all have someone like him in our lives or wish we did. Plus it is so easy to relate to him it seems like a majority of his decisions are exactly what the reader wants. Throughout the book there is really no wrong decision he makes and I think this is what Zusak is trying to communicate through his character. Through the way he acts he taught Liesel to be the same way and after awhile it seems as if Liesel just forgets about her life before the Hubermanns as if this is how it always was.
The only time Hans hubermann really changes is when Max leaves and feels really guilty, on many occasians Liesel is caught comforting her step father and saying what he did was right and it would all be fine. At that point in the book I felt really involved, it was too bad that Max had to leave and in the end no Gestapo came to search the house. So the guilt on Hans increased that much more and really changed his character.
I believe that Liesel was a great character in this story. She really matured throughout the whole story even though she was really young. From the time she stepped into the Hubermann’s household I knew that she was going to be a very interesting character. Rudy was also a great character he was a great friend of Liesel's. He was an all round character he had everything he was smart and athletic. He won a lot of sports events such as the 1500, 400, and 200 meter races. Also he was very good in soccer and once had an 18 goal penalty streak as written on page 47, he rarely missed. Rudy showed that he had a soft side inside of him when he was angry that his father didn't come back and Liesel's did. Max was a great guy he really understood the fundamentals about life and never complained about anything. He was truly a great character that would be an amazing person in real life. He wrote books for Liesel and appreciated everything that was given to him. He never got mad and was always optimistic about everything. He was also very brave and was a true friend to Liesel. At the end of the novel I really like the part when the both hugged each other and didn't let go knowing that the soldiers would come and whip them. This symbolized that there friendship was truly unbreakable. Rosa was a character who always didn't show her soft side but, when Hans was sent away it all came out. She was seen by Liesel holding her husbands accordion while crying, and praying for him. Hans was a great father figure for Liesel; he always encouraged her and tried to make her happy every time he could. He always backed her up in her arguments and read to her when she was scared at night. He helped her gain literary skills and was a great father for her to have. Finally Ilsa really understood Liesel's feelings and let her steal from her library. She always wanted Liesel to have a good life and helped her improve her reading skills by letting her read whenever she came over.
ReplyDeleteLiesel is quite the character. When I started reading the book I made the mistake of jumping to the conclusion that Liesel was weak, small and quiet. Of course it was the beginning of the book and I should have thought almost nothing at all because we had received so little information about her. She developed into a sweet and innocent character, and I quite like her. I like the way she looks at events and then approaches them in a way I would not have look at before. She is constantly surprising me with her actions. Like when Liesel beat up Ludwig Schmeikl on page 78 for calling her names, but she takes it from her mama without a wince. Later on it was on page 262 when Liesel goes back to the mayors’ house and yells at Ilsa for the letter to her mama about the washing and her own reasons and throws the book at her feet. Then later on, Liesel goes and steals the book back from the mayors’ house. Even though the book is called The Book Thief, I never thought that Liesel would actually go into a house and take something, and do it to the same person numerous times. I am a bit disappointed that she would think revenge was the best after yelling at Ilsa when she was saying they could not afford the washing anymore. The nerve of her! After this event, my idea of Liesel being a sweet innocent girl changed. She was now the strong, caring, and open minded character she was meant to be in the beginning and I was finally able to read the book without guessing at her character every few chapters.
ReplyDeleteThe first time we were introduced to Rudy, I thought he was going to be another pain in the story that was going to cause Liesel trouble. As it turns out he is just like an elementary school boy. I think he is very enthusiastic and has a positive outlook on most events. He has a good friendship Tommy and some other boys that he plays soccer on the street with, but the friendship he has with Liesel is different. It’s a strong friendship and they understand each other. It helps too that Rudy has a “crush” on Liesel, I think that it is cute and just adds a bit of drama between the two of them. When Liesel arrives on Himmel Street, she feels lots and alone. Then Rudy comes along and it all starts with a soccer game and a snowball, and grows from there. Liesel is lucky to have a friend as good as Rudy, and I would like to have him as a friend too.
ReplyDeleteI agree that I also thought Rudy was going to be annoying and just cause trouble, but Zusak turned him into a positive person in Liesel's life. He helps her out and it makes the story more enjoyable to read and gives you a break from all of the depressing things going on in Liesel's life.
ReplyDeleteWhen Max showed up on Himmel Street at number 33, I was thinking that the Hubermanns were going to get caught with a Jewish man in their basement. I guess it was the state that Max was in when he arrived, but I felt that I was in the book, watching this fragile man collapse in the kitchen. I was terrified for Liesel, the Hubermanns, and for Max. Although I don’t really like his character all that much. He seems like a haunting presence in the house, a being that puts everyone inside at risk every minute of the day and night. The whole time I was at a certain level of discomfort with Max, and then he left. Gone from the house and there was no more jeopardy, but the discomfort did not leave me alone. I suddenly realized that it was not Max that was causing my uneasiness, it was the fact that these people that are so kind were putting the little they had at stake to help the son of a man who saved a life. I am amazed by the kindness of the Hubermanns and that they opened themselves up to taking in another mouth to feed, another person to care for and a big secret to hide is incredible. What would you do if a stranger showed up in your home and asked you to hide them?
ReplyDeleteOne of the most interesting characters in the novel is Rudy Steiner. My first impression of this young man was that didn't really care what anybody else thought, and he was very ambitious to complete the current that he may have come up with at the moment. One thing I noticed was that he wasn't racist and he was more of a, "Don't judge a book by it's cover," kind of guy. I liked when he was trying to be Jesse Owens (The Black Olympian) so he covered himself black so that he could look like him, and be more in character at that point in time(page 60). This told me that unlike many people at that time and place Rudy didn't care whether you were black or a Jew. Rudy was a quite the example for polite young people all around him and a great friend to Liesel. He had proved that throughout the book by, accompanying her to take the washings, playing with her, and even stealing apples and other fruit/vegetables with her. I like how this shows how far a boy would go out of his way to make a good friend feel comfortable around them in the timeframe.I also like how it hints at the fact that he has a little crush on her in so many ways which makes you keep guessing if he'll ever will, "Get the girl," until death shares the sad information of Rudy's untimely death. Rudy was also a boy with many key supporting character roles which he acted and took part in at different times in the book.He knew how to push Liesel's buttons, keep quiet when he wanted to and even throw a rock at a boy for no reason. I find that the author did a great job at developing this character but yet concealing this characters true thoughts. One other thing that I'd like to add is when Rudy popped into the chapter I couldn't wait to see what little adventure would be next.
ReplyDeleteThe relationships between characters and the way they were developed played a huge role in how we perceived the story. By developing the characters in a way that we were able to connect with them, it maintained the element of history while making it engaging and even more interesting. When I look back, most of the characters personalities were quite exaggerated. Rosa was always in a bad mood, and cursed whenever she could; Hans was like a perfect father who was always there for you; Rudy was constantly a cocky but charming boy, etc. Usually, in real life, while a person may hold these characteristics, it's never quite so exaggerated. For example, for years since Liesel came to live with them Hans never got a proper night sleep. I think that Markus Zusak did a great job in making these characters realistic even when their personalities would generally not be natural. In fact, it never even occurred to me until later on how absurd some of the characters were.
ReplyDeleteLiesel, on the other hand, was one of the more balanced characters in my opinion. Possibly the one over exaggerated element of her would be her ability to cope with major events. Even so, she had her flaws and her strengths. She was behind in school and had a few angry outbursts, but she also had strong beliefs, beliefs against mass killings of Jews.
I believe that Zusak made this story come to life through his characters. By introducing the characters slowly he was able to make normally unrealistic personalities alive and believable. I felt a connection with the characters, and even recognizing that they are not real and just part of a book, I found myself hoping that they would be okay and survive.
What is also important is how Zusak did not write his story around what he thought his readers would want to hear. The ending was not particularly happy, and almost all of Liesel's loved ones perished during an air raid. However, letting Max and Liesel survive made it bearable. I don't think that Zusak concentrated very much on how Liesel dealt with all the deaths at the end because he had already developed her so well that the readers were able to be left alone to picture what was going on. This also added a rather interesting element of the story. We were left to create part of the book our self in our heads, we weren't told everything. This, I think, helped me connect with the book, plot, and characters even more.
I agree with you, each character it seemed was given a set path of what they were supposed to act like and never really changed throughout the novel. Which in real life would not be realistic at all, no one ever stays the same forever people are constantly changing. It is impossible for Rosa always to be angry every once in awhile she sort of was happy but it usually didn't last long and then, the only time Hans changed was after he felt really guilty in causing Max to have to leave he became depressed and not as enjoyable of a character. The only character that I feel changed throughout the book was Liesel, at the beginning she was very shy and insecure and didn't want to do much with her new family, then she slowly became happier and more comfortable with her new family. She was constantly changing throughout the book and adapting to her surroundings.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you but the fact that each character didn't change didn't mean that much to me. I think people can remain the same if they chose to it's just there choice how they want to act around certain people. I think the author portrayed this in a way because he wanted to show the readers how it was during the World War II. It showed how some people would not change there ways or beliefs just because someone wanted them to.
ReplyDeleteI so admire the character Max. He was such a genuinely nice person, despite everything he went through. He was forced to leave his family, sleep in a warehouse with very little food, he had to make a dangerous journey all alone and he had to live in a basement for 2 years. He endured so much pain and discomfort, and lived in fear for probably almost as long as he could remember. But he was still friendly and kind, and he even befriended Liesel. Then, one of the last times we hear from him, he does something completely selfless. He just leaves. He has to leave for a few days anyway, just in case the Hubermann’s basement was searched after Hans fed the Jew. But instead of waiting at the designated spot and then returning, he just left. It hurt the Hubermanns to have him gone, but it was the most selfless act I saw in this book. He left so as not to put them in any more danger.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Max is a very interesting character in the novel. He has a different personality despite the things he has gone through. Max is a different character that portrays the world differently then others that have gone through the same things as he did. He dreams about the fight between the Germans and Jews as a boxing match as if Max and Hitler were battling in the ring head to head. He thinks that the referee says that if Hitler begins to lose, he will turn away and let Hitler do whatever he wants to Max. This is an example of how everyone in Germany lets Hitler mistreat the Jewish people. It shows that people in Germany did not care about the right thing and did not stick up for it. If the German people stood up for what was right the war between the Germans and Jewish people would have not gone for such a long time and many lives good have been saved. It showed that people were afraid of Hitler and they did not want to die for the Jewish people so they tired to save themselves and listen to Hitler. Which shows the complications Max had to go through with his life leaving his family and living in poverty in a warehouse with very little food. Max is a very strong willed and unselfish character in the novel. Max has gone through a lot in his life in the novel and the author portraying him as an unselfish character just made the book more better to read for me it brought me closer to the book and wanted me to keep reading it.
ReplyDeleteI was kind of surprised when Hans gave a loaf of bread to a jew. It showed that even if it definitely the wrong thing to do at the time he showed a sense of compassion. I think he knew what he was doing when he did it. When liesel asked him why he did it, i think he only said that he didn't know because he didnt want to seem so caring about the Jews.
ReplyDeleteI had already mentioned this in one of my blogs in Themes, but I really do like Death. Assuming it is a guy, I love his sarcasm and wittiness. It actually slightly keeps me wanting to read the book. I find him more interesting than all the actually characters in the story, other than Max Vandenburg.
ReplyDeleteRosa Hubermann is very strict in my opinion. Throughout the book she acted tough and not so comforting. When Liesel comes into the family she wasn't very comforting to her. Hans Hubermann was the one who basically became Liesel's best friend. When Liesel spent some of the change that was supposed to be used for food, clothing and shelter Rosa found out quick because she was smart and witty. She then slapped Liesel with the wooden spoon that she showed her to not be tempted to mess up delivering and picking up the laundry. I think this was the right thing because Rosa needed this money to keep the family going. Liesel never listened therefore the outcome was a smack. This concludes that Rosa is mean and strict but keeps her family together.
ReplyDeleteHans Hubermann was a very loyal and caring character. He and Liesel had a very strong bond. When Hans and Rosa first took in Liesel they didn't really talk. But when Liesel first wet her bed Hans took off the sheets and discovered a book under the mattress. The book was called The Gravedigger's Handbook. You would imagine that Hans would be thinking something along the lines of "Why in the world would this girl be reading a book like this." But instead he said "Do you know how to read this" Liesel responded "Yes", but Hans really knew she couldn't. He took time out of sleeping just to teach Liesel how to read. Hans even sold his cigarettes just to get Liesel 2 books for Christmas. Also when Max moved in he didn't care that he was a Jew, he just wanted to help even though it was very risky to do so. This shows that Hans Hubermann was very caring and loyal.
ReplyDeleteRudy was best known for painting his face black with charcoal, he was running around an empty track while imitating a famous Black American athlete named Jesse Owens. Jesse Owens achieved worldwide fame after winning four gold medals at the 1936 Summer Olympics. Rudy and Jesse Owens have similar traits. Jesse Owens, a coloured American went to the Olympics knowing that Hitler would be there. The presence of Hitler did not frighten him. His decision of entering the race was an independent decision. Jesse Owens appears to be like one of those people who didn’t allow anyone to get in the way of his dreams. (Zusak, 56) This characteristic is comparable to Rudy’s, as when he went to the Hitler Youth Olympics and won three gold medals. Rudy was aware of his instructor Franz Deustcher, who tormented Rudy at Hitler youth was attending this special event. Nevertheless he did not let this knowledge deter Rudy from entering the race. Instead Rudy wanted to blow Deustcher away by winning three gold medals, exactly like Jesse Owens did when he blew away Hitler by winning all four gold medals. (Zusak, 363)
ReplyDeleteIn the beginning of this novel, Liesel was introduced by Death as “The Book Thief” (Zusak, 8). The reason why Death labels Liesel as the book thief is because Liesel steal books throughout this novel. At first Liesel snags a book from a cemetery called “The Grave Digger’s Handbook”. This book is a how-to book for cemetery employees. It was also a book that Liesel learned how to read with under the guidance of her foster father, Hans. The Grave Digger’s Handbook is a little reminder of the last time she saw her 6 years old brother and her mother on the train. “****The Book’s Meaning**** 1. The last time she saw her brother. 2. The last time she saw her mother.” (Zusak, 38) Liesel's brother's death inspired many significant events that set the novel's plot in motion. Liesel continues to steals more than a few books such as the Shoulder Shrug, Mein Kamf, the Whistler and lastly the Dream Carrier. It was also mentioned that she desires to steal books as supposed to requesting to borrow them. As she demonstrated her preference as she stole the Whistler. “It was the book she wanted. The Whistler. She wouldn’t tolerate having it given to her by a lonely, pathetic old woman. Stealing it, on the other hand, seemed a little more acceptable. Stealing it, in a sick kind of sense, was like earning it.” (Zusak, 287) This is an act of rebellion that could have been dangerous for her. Therefore she was given the nickname the Book Thief.
ReplyDeleteLiesel was 9 years old when her mother was forced to give up her two children to foster care and Liesel's younger brother died on the way there. She later arrived in a small town called Molching and moved in with her new foster parents, Hans and Rosa Hubermann. The sudden death of her younger brother still traumatized Liesel which was later comforted by Hans. Hans preoccupied Liesel by teaching her how to read books. Before long Liesel had fallen in love with words and books. With the help of her foster father and Liesel’s passion for reading, she soon fulfilled her goal which was finishing The Grave Digger’s Handbook (Zusak, 85).
Liesel once met a boy with lemon hair named Rudy Steiner, on Himmel streets during a typical neighbourhood activity of soccer. (Zusak, 47) At first, Liesel and Rudy are just mere acquaintance or neighbours. They live down the street from each other and occasionally cross paths at school and on the streets. They also played soccer and other games outside as well. Later as their friendship progressed they started to do almost everything together, this included being hungry together in which they decided to steal foods from farmers. They were tired together after running and avoiding being caught. They were in trouble together, stealing together, scheming together, being happy and carefree together and even rebelling against the local service requirements together. These are example of rebellious acts that could have been dangerous for both Rudy and Liesel, therefore labelling Liesel as a free spirited and rebellious child.
Over the course of the novel, a Jewish boy named Max entered Liesel’s life. Max is a 23 years old Jew who hides from the Nazis in the Hubermanns' basement. Growing up Max was a fist fighter teenager who resolves not to die without a fight. "When death captures me, he will feel my fist on his face." (Zusak, 189) Liesel's small acts of kindness and loyalty towards Max illustrate the loving bond that has developed between the two. For instance, the time when it was Liesel’s birthday she was the one who gave Max a present. “And she walked over and hugged him for the first time. ‘Thanks, Max’” (Zusak, 222). In a way Max was like Liesel’s deceased younger brother and she does not want to watch someone die twice. As a result she would
(Cont'd)
ReplyDeletedesperately fight to keep Max alive such as the time she purposely injured herself just to warn Max that the NSDAP were coming to investigate basements.(Zusak, 340) Readers now see Liesel’s character develop. Liesel is four years older now and while she has not yet hit puberty, she has noticeably mature both intellectually and emotionally.
Hans Hubermann is Liesel’s foster father and he was best known for his soft silver eyes. Hans Hubermann loved to smoke and the main thing he enjoyed about smoking was the rolling. (Zusak, 33) He even taught Liesel how to roll a cigarette. This shows bonding between father and daughter. Hans was a tall, quiet, incredibly kind, decent and patient man who easily wins over Liesel’s affections. One example that he does to help Liesel to feel loved and supported was the time when Liesel wanted to read the Grave Digger’ Hand book, but wasn’t able to because of lack of education. Hans would begin to teach her how to read by starting with the primary steps to reading a book. He would spend countless nights with Liesel teaching her how to read and also calming her down from her nightmares. He hugs her, speaks soothing words, listens to her and stays with her for hours. This helps Liesel to feel loved instead of like a burden. Hans demonstrates total patience and love for her through this hard time. Hans is also patient with his wife Rosa Hubermann, especially when it comes to her rude comments. Rosa would call Hans a “Saukerl” which mean a filthy pig in German and would tell Hans that she makes her own decisions. Instead of fighting or yelling back he would just graciously or jokingly give her a response such as “’That Saukerl’s looking out the window again.’ Cursed Rosa Hubermann. ‘Everyday’ she went on. ‘What are you looking at this time?’ ‘Ohhh,’ moaned Papa with delight. The flag cloaked his back from the top of the window. ‘You should have a look at this woman I can see.’ He glanced over his shoulder and grinned at Liesel. ‘I might just go and run after her. She leaves you dead, Mama.’(Zusak, 102)
ReplyDeleteHans’ life was saved by a Jew Erik Vandenberg who teaches Hans to play the accordion in World War I. The day the platoom goes into battle, the Sergeant asks which one of them has good handwriting. None volunteered thus the Sergeant says that whichever man does will not be going into battle. Yet again no man volunteered because they did not want to seem like a coward. Erik nominates Hans who was sent to write letters for the captain. The rest of the men were all killed from that battle. Hans kept Erik’s old accordion and told Erik’s family what had happened during the last battle. Hans then leaves Erik’s wife his name and address if they needed any help. This shows kindness and loyalty to the Jew who saved his life.
Han Hubermann was an intelligent and a kind man. Erik’s son Max came to Han’s house seeking for a safe place to hide from the Nazi. Although this was quite a risky decision and Hans knew what the consequences were if the Nazi found out they were hiding a Jew. He was still able to put on a strong face and gives Max a new home with all of his powers to keep him safe. Hans showed sympathy and guilt that he could not bring Max to the air raid shelter when an expected air raid would strike on Germany. Hans showed more sympathy when a Jew parade marched down on Mochling and gave a piece of bread to an old Jewish man. Hans was later caught by the Nazi solider and was severely punished. Hans’ character dramatically alters after Max was forced to leave because of what danger might come to Hubermann’s household. Hans was waiting for the Nazi to step onto his front porch and at the same time feeling truly guilty for putting his family including Max at risk. The Nazi had not come which lead to Hans feeling more guilty having Max to leave the house for no reason. Overall, when it comes with to the Jews Hans Hubermann would give them sympathy and try to save one Jew’s life because a Jew saved his life.
Rosa Hubermann was Han’s wife and Liesel’s foster mother who wore her brownie gray strands of elastic hair in a bun. (Zusak, 34) In the beginning of this novel, Rosa Hubermann was described as an abusive foster mother and has a fiery attitude. However, this doesn’t make Rosa Hubermann a wicked old witch you may find in a typical neighbourhood and she was definitely not one of the To Killing Mocking Bird characters like Mrs. Henry Lafayette Dubose. Rosa Hubermann would demonstrate to the readers that she is an ungrateful, independent woman who is not afraid to speak her mind. Rosa never showed any appreciation in her household, such as the time when she asked Liesel where the scissors were “’Liesel, where are the scissors?’ But Liesel had no idea, either, ‘Saumensch, you’re useless, aren’t you?’” (Zusak, 244) However, Rosa’s rude comments were amusing and it is amazing how a woman like herself is not afraid to speak her mind. “’Not in the one below?’ ‘ I’ve been through that one already.’ ‘Maybe you missed them.’ ‘Do I look blind?’ She raised her head and bellowed.” (Zusak, 244) Rosa’s character was certainly unique. Even if there was guest in the house Rosa would continue to act like herself, such as the time when Max first ate her infamous pea soup. “Max declined, preferring instead to rush to the sink and vomit. His back convulsed and his arms were well spread. His fingers gripped the metal. ‘Jesus, Mary, Joseph,’ Rosa muttered. ‘Another one?’ Turning around, Max apologized… ‘Move,’ Rosa ordered him.”(Zusak, 200) Although Rosa had rudely moved Max away from the mess Rosa continues to feed him from starvation.
ReplyDeleteRosa is a good mother who disciplines her foster child even though others observe it as child abuse. Rosa demonstrated her mothering potential when she learned that Liesel spent some of the scant ironing money. Rosa then disciplined her by giving a good whack with a wooden spoon. However, Rosa immediately stops and apologized when Liesel says that she mailed her letters to her birth mother. “She broke. ‘I spent it, Mama.’ Rosa came closer. This was not a good sign. She was very close to the wooden spoons. ‘You what?’ Before she could answer, the wooden spoon came down on Liesel Meminger’s body like the gait of God. Red marks like footprints, and they burned. From the floor, when it was over, the girl actually looked up and explained… ‘I mailed my letters.’…Above her, Rosa appeared to be smudged, but she soon clarified as her cardboard face looked closer. Dejected, she stood there in all her plumpness, holding the wooden spoon at her side like a club. She reached down and leaked a little. ‘I’m sorry, Liesel.’” (Zusak, 99) Rosa would not allow Liesel to be a rebel and spend money on useless junk without her mother`s consent, thus good parenting would disciplined Liesel, preventing it from happening again. Conversely, as soon Rosa knew it was for a good reason she stopped and apologizes for coming to an immediate conclusion.
Rosa definitely made a reputation of calling others Saumensch or Saukerl. It even made Liesel uncomfortable if Rosa didn’t call her by her nickname Saumensch. “’Now listen, Liesel. Papa’s going to tell you something today.’ This was serious-she didn’t even say Saumensch. It was a personal feat of abstinence. ‘He’ll talk to you and you have to listen. Is that clear?’ The girl was still swallowing. ‘Is that clear, Saumensch?’ That was better. The girl nodded.” (Zusak, 203) Rosa name calling was her signature name calling for others, Saumensch or Saukerl. If Rosa were to stop calling others those two names then she wouldn’t be Rosa Hubermann anymore. Additionally, Death stated that Rosa`s name calling was her way to show love and care. “If she’d seen me, I’m sure she would have called me a Saukerl, though I would not have taken it badly. After reading The book Thief, I discovered that she called everyone that. Saukerl. Saumensch. Especially the people she loved.” (Zusak, 532)
(cont'd)
ReplyDeleteBehind Rosa name calling and her fiery attitude she is still Liesel’s foster mother and a foster mother who is always there to gives hugs when Liesel needed one. Such as the time when Hans Hubermann made Liesel cry when he told her what the consequences were if the Nazi knew they were hiding a Jew in the basement. “Upstairs, when they returned, they found Mama sitting in the kitchen, alone and pensive. When she saw them, she stood and beckoned Liesel to come over, noticing the dried up tears that streaked her. She brought the girl into her and heaped a typically rugged embrace around her body. ‘Alles gut, Saumensch?’” (Zusak, 204) Translation ‘Everything good, filthy pig?’ This proves that Rosa insults others but at the same time shows concern for them as well.
When Rosa’s husband was sent to a German army, which is desperate for new recruits following severe losses against the Soviet Union. Readers now see a dramatic change in Rosa Hubermann’s character. At first readers see that both couples Hans and Rosa, were not as close like typical husband and wife. However, this was her time to express her true feelings for her husband as she demonstrated that night when Liesel awakens and finds Rosa in the living room sitting on the edge of her bed with Han’s accordion. “There was no denying the fact that Rosa Hubermann was sitting on the edge of the bed with her husband’s accordion tied to her chest. Her fingers hovered above the keys.” (Zusak, 429)
At the end of the book when Death carries Rosa Hubermann’s spirit his speech about Rosa was true that she has a deep heart but no typical humans could see it. She was the one who fed a Jew, embraced a sad girl and she was the woman with the instrument strapped to her body in the long, moon-slit night. “Make no mistake, the woman had a heart. She had a bigger one than people would think. There was a lot in it, stored up, high in miles of hidden shelving. Remember that she was the woman with the instrument strapped to her body in the long, moon-slit night. She was a Jew feeder without a question in the world on a man’s first night in Molching. And she was an arm reacher, deep into a mattress, to deliver a sketchbook to a teenage girl. (Zusak, 532)
On Page 248 it gives a vague description of Max Vandenburg.
ReplyDeleteIt says that he could be summed up as a picture of pale concentartion. Beige-coloured skin. A swamp in each eye. anAnd he breated like a fugitive. Desperate yet soundless. It also says that it was only his chest that gave him away for something alive.
This painted a rough picture of Max Vandenburg for me in my mind throughout the rest of the novel.