**please ignore the writing on the side of this picture**
This is the kind of mental picture I got when I imagine Death taking the life of Liesel's little brother. I had always imagined Death as a "grim reaper" sort of character, but less menacing, and less morbid. Death seems genuinely disappointed at having to steal people's souls, but as he points out, "who could ever replace me?" (page 5). So, this picture made me think of Death slowly and sadly (the picture has a sad tone, as the grim reaper's head is bowed) leading Liesel's little brother away from his family, to his death.
It is normal and at the same time interesting that people see things in different ways. But I personally cannot see the Death in this book as grim reaper. It is just too creepy, and does not really fit the character of Death in this novel. The grim reaper always associates with horror and something evil in my perspective, but I can't call Death character evil as far as I read. The book actually creates kind of human like feelings towards the narrator for his hard and never ending job, which altogether creates another weird and mixed sensation…
http://api.ning.com/files/0*LdgAAqKJEMUhuwYomEvWsIMWUwytnWTNkFI1zw*9w_/Shadow.jpg I chose this picture to represent death because from what I have read so far I imagine death being like a harmless shadow that is always there through the good and bad, kind of like a person that's watching over you because they know what the future is going to bring whether it's good or bad. But "death" from my perspective is always there waiting for you even though you don't realize it, it's always present because death is invisible and unpredictable it could be harmless or harmfuljust like in real life. Note that the shadow is a male and that is because I can't imagine "death"(the narrator) being a female.
http://www.bottomlineperformance.com/lolblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/death.jpg This is how I assume everyone is picturing death, I picture him more like this. http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_129/1173468777VXI3AV.jpg A simple guy, who really does not like his job but as he says in the book, it's not as if anyone can replace him.
The way I picture death is like this: http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/shadow-in-the-dark.jpg I see him as if he is your shadow. When readeing the book i feel that he is always following you just like your shadow. But the differece is that you know that your shadow is there but these cahracters dont know that death is there. In the book its like death is a shadow on a cloudy day.(Not being able to know that its there)
http://ghazala.sulekha.com/mstore/ghazala/albums/default/girl-crying-small-l.jpg I chose this picture to represent Leisel after she cried the yellow tear. This girl seems to have come to a conclusion that changed her, just as Leisel was changed by her comprehension about the difference between good and bad. As well the contrast between the dark and light in the picture visually represents the fact of good and bad being in everyone.
This is an image of a book burning in Germany. I believe this was a point worth noting in the novel, as Leisel develops a hate for Hitler after she connects him with the disappearance and misfortune of her family and Death foreshadows about her being famous enough to be a statue. I believe the book burning is going to change to perspective of this novel due to Leisel’s new found belief and I will be waiting in suspense for Leisel’s brave act.
This is how I envision the mayor's library. I see it as having a musty and cold feel, "...a room that was full of cold air and books." page 134 And every detail of it is intricate. "...overcrowded yet immaculate shelving." page 134. This library is grand and is made of dark wood."The two word stood among acres and acres of vacant, wooden-floored land." page 134
This is how I pictured the grave yard to look like where they buried Liesel's brother. It has a very eerie feel to it, like you want to enter, but your scared to. It has a lot of snow, and looks very dark and uninviting, but also very mysterious.
This is how I picture the scene where Max Vandenburg is hiding in the secret storage room. He's alone, hungry, uncomfortable and tired. It's dark. There's the feeling of fear, sadness, desperation and hopelessness.
I chose this photo because it reminded me of liesel and the type of facial expression she had; during the beginning of this novel liesel was very scared and hesitant to come out of the car. she eventually went inside
http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Fancy%20by%20Veer/p_2709641.jpg This picture is suppose to represent the scene on page 152 when Rudy was picking apples (stealing), I chose this picture to represent how desperately hungry Rudy was along with the rest of the kids that were also stealing apples to deal with their hunger.
http://onthisandthat.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/cold-heart.jpg I chose this picture to represent my perspective of Hitler, although at the beginning of the novel people saw Hitler as a hero, I still see him as a cold hearted person. As I read more and more of the novel I realized that no matter what kind of person Hitler was before the Holocaust I still saw him as a cold hearted person for what he made all the Jews go through.
http://artfiles.art.com/5/p/LRG/23/2349/RLUYD00Z/vincent-van-gogh-orphan-man-sitting-with-little-girl.jpg This picture reminds me of Hans and Liesel, for example when he is teaching her how to read, or just spending time with her.
This is how I picture the scene where Max Vandenburg is walking through Molching. His head is bent, counting every 13 steps. The streets are deserted and unfriendly looking.
This is exactly the area I picture the kids playing soccer while reading the book. Although there are goal posts here and no posts in the book this is still an identical representation of where I see. The "well loved" ball also is what I pictured they use while playing.
This is my representation of the mayor's library that Liesel was often at reading books. Although it was described as being huge by Liesel Meminger, that is the opinion of a young girl whos life is basically reading the few books she has obtained seeing a entire room full of books. I would over exaggerate too.
I think that this is a good representation of what Liesel could have been expecting when going to live with her new family. When she finally agrees to go into her room, she sees two beds on opposite sides, one meant for her brother. Both Liesel and her brother would be feeling lonely and scared, perhaps looking out the window longingly for their mother, just as depicted in the picture. If you were to erase the boy from the image I think it is a fairly accurate picture of what actually awaited her, minus the picture of the owl and the girls neat and tidy style.
I personally thought this picture represents the image when Liesel was eavesdropping on Rosa and Hans conversation about liesel trying to send a letter to her mother.
Ignore the fact that the lady in this photo looks like shes 50 try to imagine her at a young age
The first link, the picture is the 9th one down and the second link, the picture is the 2nd one down. Both these images are what I imagined the boxing match in Max's dream to be like. This is when Max was boxing against Hitler and it wasn't going so well. I got the picture in my head of Max being all beat up and bloody after he was beaten in the first part of the fight. Both pictures fit my idea of the boxing match.
I agree with Faven and I think that Death is like a shadow. It is harmless and it cannot do any wrong to you. You are going to die; it’s a matter of when. From my perspective death is very harmless, it always waiting to come collect you. It is always there even though you can't see it or feel it. Death is very interesting because it is very unpredictable and you never know when it’s going to come get you. Death is always connected to you like a shadow and is always following you and when its time it comes to collect you.
Here is a link which has a picture on it of a shadow and how I think death looks like. http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/10.26/photos/18-feature1-450.jpg
For me this is kind of what i imagined "the road of yellow stars" too look like. Death explained this road like a long, broken arm, which for me the road kinda looks like it, with the curve at the end of the road. He also said it was a place nobody wanted to stay and look at, yet almost everyone did. Which i find this picture could represent that because it doesn't look like a very open street and a bit creepy, but there is a few people in the picture. Aswell the buildings are very old and bruised, like death said. Though, in the photo the star of david is not on all the doors, but i just imagine that they are because i just find it so fitting if the stars were on the doors (couldn't find any pictures of houses with the star). Another thing is in the book, death says there's only seven houses down the road, but in the picture there seems to be more than seven. So, again i can just imagine it fitting if there was only seven. Another thing is i imagined the street a bit wider and the houses not as close, but again this picture gets the general idea i had for "the road of yellow stars".
To me, this picture reminds me of Max Vandenburg. Even though the person in this picture is standing up, it still makes me think of how Max had to hide in dark places for many years, and now he still has to in the Huberman's basement. There is a door of light in the picture, which represents the fact that there is life only a short distance away, but Max can not get to it because of him being a Jew. He must stay in the dark where he practically doesn't exist, even though he wants to escape.
Whenever Nazi, Germans or Hitler is brought up I immediately think of the Swastika. I think of what the German's have done in the past to the Jewish people and how Hitler was so controlling. It is also the first thing that comes to my mind when the use the colours red, white, and black together. http://tothewire.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/swastika-inverted.jpg
Whenever Jewish people or the colour yellow is brought up I immediately think of the Star of David and how the Jewish people were forced to wear it on them so everyone knew that they were Jews. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/images/star-yel2.gif
The way i picture Rosa Hubberman is like this http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/476471/2/istockphoto_476471-angry-lady.jpg
I no this is a little crazy but to me, it suits her quite well. She always seem like she is this crazy lady who is mean and nasty looking. From reading this book im pretty sure that we can all tell that she is not fit to be Leisels foster mother. This lady just seems all around nuts. Its almost as if her main goal in life is to make other peoples lives unbearable.
This picture reminds me of the vacation spot Death wanted, but since he's such a busybody and can't take vacations, he only ends up doing his job - which describes why the sky is coloured red. Although this wasn't in the book, it just makes me think that he can't really take vacations or breaks, so if he does, it just turns into a vacation gone wrong and has to continue doing his job on his so called break. I'm not sure why the author uses the colours in the book, whether its for emphasizing the situation, or the time of day (the lighter shades meaning it's early, darker meaning later into the day) and maybe even if it's because each person has a specific colour and is only revealed when their soul is being collected, but I honestly like the idea. "The question is, what color will everything be at that moment when I come for you? What will the sky be saying?" (page 4) It's as if he's saying the sky has a mood and shows its emotions through colours - like a mood ring.
This is what i kind of saw as the book that was floating down the Amper River (Page 241). The book that was floating down the river was The Whistler and death was foreshadowing as to what Isla Hermann did with this book. Liesel refused to take The Wistler from Isla after she fired Rosa from doing their laundry. Liesel probably didn't take the book out of anger and said she didn't want Isla's miserable book. Though it's still a bit unclear to me as to why Isla may have put the book down the River.
http://ibexinc.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/wallofbooks.jpg When Liesel first sees the mayors library i picture this amount of books this image really stands out to me.
http://www.northrup.org/Photos/boston/low/Baby-ducks-following-mother.jpg Some might find this picture silly but this is what I think caused the holocaust, and no I don't mean that the baby ducks following the mom. What I mean is that if the Germans and Jews worked together and stopped Hitler instead of following his every order they could have overcome the issues that were created because of Hitler. I mean don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being a follower as long as you are following the right path and or person ( which Hitler wasn't) and if not I believe that you should stand up and speak up (realistically I know it's easier said than done, this is just hopeful thinking) I hope that this doesn't confuse anyone.
http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/images/WildSide/fight.gif This picture reminded me of, when death was telling the story how Max Vandenburg and Walter Kugler began to fist fight. They fought each other and They are still friends in the present time of the book.
This picture is how I visualize the scene where Liesel gives Max a hug on her birthday.(Minus the fact that the girl in the picture is much older than Liesel.) It's almost as if he's invisible. He blends into the wall. To me, the writing represents the reading that Liesel and Max share. It resembles the writing on the walls of the basement, where Max is staying. It also represents the way that Max will repay Liesel, by making her a book.
Ignore the fact that the person is much older then Liesel but i think this picture gives a good visual image of how she is feeling when she arrives at the Hubbermans house. Liesel is feeling alone, scared, sad, and confused she seems to feel a little hate towards her mother for making her leave bur yet is appreciating her new family.
Some of the scenes in the book remind me of the movie "Shindler's List". I picture all of the book in black and white except for the colours that they mention specifically.
I picture Himmel street looking something like this... http://www.hunsletclub.org.uk/images/history/1940_street.gif It seems there would be a lot of compact houses and no cars considering it is in the poor areas.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/3879336042_769cd0f3dc.jpg I picture this as death looking in on Liesel's life on Himmile street because nobody knows he is watching them, so i think it gives a good visual.
I like the picture that you chose, Kelsey. I think it's a good representation of Death watching over Liesel. I like the way that Death is looking through the blinds. In my mind, Death looked more like the Grim Reaper. I imagine him with a cloak and his sword type thing. Looking more like this: http://dansemacabre.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/grim_reaper.jpg
This picture reminds me of when Death is watching Liesel at the graveyard.
This is what I pictured Max as when he left home but younger and without the instrument. This man wears an expression of sadness but almost relief just as Max described feeling when his friend came to hide him away. For me this picture represents the will to survive overpowering everything; it represents a person stripped down to one of our basic feelings; the need to survive above all costs. Max like many other Holocaust victims had to do whatever they could to survive, even if it meant leaving the ones you love behind.
This is how I picture Death when he’s narrating this story. He reminds me a grandfather telling his grandchild (or anyone that will listen) everything that he’s seen and been through. Much like a grandchild, many readers might question the point of the story, or why they’re supposed to care. But in reality, if we actually listen to the facts, we can realize that the story is very important for us to know. It’s a piece of history that happened that might not affect us anymore, but that is still necessary to understand today. Also, Death seems to know everything in this book. It’s like he’s seen everything there is to see, and is just retelling it to us, much like a grandfather who’s been around for a long time and is trying to educate his grandchild on the many things he’s seen and experienced.
I think this picture represents Himmel Street fairly well. If I could change something in the picture though, there would be more yards but they would be muddy and dirty as well as the road. Obviously the houses aren't exactly up to date for that time period but they all look a little grungy and they have a little glow coming from them which is what comes to mind when I think of Himmel Street.
This is the way that i pictured death in my eyes: http://www.frieze.com/images/shows/shadows_3.jpg
I picture death as a boy/girl looking through an enclosed view on someones life. It's view of the world is dark and gray and I feel as if he is watching over and looking at you not through a clear vision but a tad blurry. It is waiting and watching for the perfect time to come and take the life away from a person.
This is what I pictured Liesel to be like when Ilsa Hermann told her that she was cancelling the laundry orders. Liesel said "when the others had canceled, it hadn't hurt so bad." (pg.259) so you can tell that Liesel liked going to Ilsa's house and that it was somewhat of a relief for her to go their every day or so. This part got my thinking of what Ilsa was feeling when she saw the disappointed Liesel standing on her doorstep.
This is the image in my head when i think of Himmel Street. A place for young German kids to play and kick a soccerball around. An overall happy life for all Germans while Jews on the other hand don't have it so easy!
This is how I picture Death. Of course, this is not how I think he looks now, but how he describes himself is that he has his own opinions and thoughts, like a life of his own. Also, he acts as though this job was forced upon him, it's not his ideal, but if it was forced upon him then he must of had a life in advance. This is how I picture Death as a child, when he was still young and carefree. He had no idea that his life was already planned for him.
@Karlee Mckenzie I agree with the image that you chose. It's a good example of the kind of neighbourhood I had in mind as well. In my mind, the houses seemed a bit larger, like this: (without the trees) http://www.charlesandhudson.com/archives/inspect-old-houses.jpg I imagined their house to be large, but not in the best shape because they do not have the money to fix up the house.
@Karlee Mckenzie I agree with the image that you chose. It's a good example of the kind of neighbourhood I had in mind as well. In my mind, the houses seemed a bit larger, like this: (without the trees) http://www.charlesandhudson.com/archives/inspect-old-houses.jpg I imagined their house to be large, but not in the best shape because they do not have the money to fix up the house.
http://repairstemcell.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/lemmings-copy.jpg To me, this picture symbolized the way the Germans so seemingly blindly followed the Führer, Hitler. They never stopped to consider the consequences, never analyzed the situation and realised "Hey! He's really not such a great guy." they simply followed the beaten path. As well, the figures in this image are all very... basic, featureless, which kind of symbolizes the uniformity of the German people. Essentially they were all the same, following their 'great' leader. As Death pointed out, "In 1933, 90 percent of Germans showed unflinching support for Adolf Hitler." (page 63)With nearly their entire population so set on a specific, close-minded way of thinking, it would be no great stretch of the imagination to visualize them looking the same, as they think similarly.
This is the mental image I got when I read about the childrens’ street soccer game in the middle of Himmel Street. The houses were mostly likely smaller in that particular area, but I think this picture gives a general idea of how these children spent their free time, and where their happiness came from. They were all poor, and living under a corrupt government, so this would’ve been about as far as fun went: playing in the middle of the street with the neighbouring children.
This is how I imagined the scene of when Liesel was going down into the basement in the night, after she got Max's Book. It is dark, because I imagine not much light would get into the basement. It has an eerie feel, like she knows she shouldn't be going down in the night, but she is going anyway. Also, I noticed how this picture has a shadow of a head. I interpreted this shadow to not be Liesels, but to be Death, following her around, where ever she goes.
This is what i kind of imagined for the Hubermann's basement where Max Vandenburg is living. I imagine the basement very cold, creepy and a good place to hide. This photo describes and shows that kind of basement.
This picture to me symbolized the friendship between Max and Liesel. There friendship is like a crescendo, they were very quiet at the start but, now they know each other better and feel more comfortable with each other. They have a lot of similarities with each other and those similarities have turned into a very unique friendship. This picture also shows that Max said on page 235 "the best standover man I've ever known is not a man at all...” Also see page 236 to get a better understanding for the picture.
This picture reminded me of when Hans was telling Lisel that she couldn't tell anybody about Max Vandenburg, or else he would burn all of her books, and himself, Rosa and Max would be taken away and would never come back.
http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/070509-26--a-brother-a-sister-and-a-sunset-mike-davis--micks-pix-photos.jpg This warm picture is painted in my mind when I think about the relationship between Liesel and Max. At first they were complete strangers to each other, but as time had passed they became so close as if they always were a brother and a sister. As far as I read, the book did not really expand on their relationship, but every time the narrator talks about them, I can just feel the respect, trust and sincerity between those two different, but yet so similar people. The image that I have chosen also represents these feelings. Two dark figures stand on the shore, holding hands and looking on the horizon, infinite and beautiful with the sun setting down, and taking all sorrows of the previous day with it, giving a hope that tomorrow will be a new day and that tomorrow everything is going to be OK, or maybe even better…
This picture of the Grim Reaper is exactly how I pictured death to look like at the beginning of the novel until Death made the comment "By the way i like this human idea of the grim reaper. I like the Scythe. it amuses me. Then I began to think of Death as more of an angel or regular person who comes to retrieve the souls of the dead which a way I have never though of before.
http://images.quickblogcast.com/0/8/8/4/7/185470-174880/hitler_youth.jpg this is a picture of the Nazi youth, and this picture is suppose to represent how I imagined the Hitler youth, I imagined a whole bunch of kids all standing still with serious faces.
http://isurvived.org/Pictures_iSurvived-3/jewsHOLOCAUST.GIF This picture is suppose to represent page 391 when people watched the Jews suffer and come down the road "like a catalog of colours", note the Nazi suroubding them.
http://dark.pozadia.org/images/wallpapers/Acceptance_of_Death___-652729.jpeg I have found this picture and i think it is a great representation of at the beginning with Liesel's brother dies and death takes him away. This photo even has the colour red as a background, which i think fits in really well with the setting of the story.
I think this picture describes best, the picture of death that I have in my head. I think he is actually a big loving jolly old man that got stuck with a grey depressing job. I think that he is actually a nice guy that got a job that makes him look bad.
While reading the book, I've realised that the picture I have in my head of the story is very grey and dark, and not very appealing. I think that this picture really represents the picture I have in my head.
So obviously this picture represents my idea of the book burning since it is one, but I was still thinking of a big group of people huddled around a huge fire.
There is this picture of an old library I found that I imagined when I was reading about Ilsa Hermann(the mayors wife)and her library. I imagined a big room where Ilsa and Liesel would sit and read. I saw the walls filled with shelves of books. To me it seemed like a big library for Ilsa, but I realized it suited her because she is lonely, and I see her sitting alone in the library. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3410/3411964660_8a7a0bf2a3.jpg
I found this picture of a group of books that were painted with white paint. I thought of Max painting his copy of Mein Kampf white, and putting his own story on top. http://www.eastpix.com/images/facebook/crust.jpg
I found this picture to be a great representation of Death in the book and in general thinking. I have always thought of death as not really have physical appearance traits, of him just being a shadow. As you probably noticed i called death a "he" that is very stereotypical of me i have always thought of a male doing a job like this, caring died body's and witnessing death. In this picture the person has no face, its just a shadow and it has a huge scythe. I could see this image following around Liesel in the book like the narrator in the story does.
This picture reminds me of the begining of the book when Liesel, her mom, and her brother were dropped off from the train. I imagined a snowy train station.
This is how I imagined the giant fire that went on in the streets while Germany while the whole country was celebrating Hilter's birthday. It shows people surrounding the fire and watching everything burn. It even shows how abnormal some of the stuff in that fire may have been such as giant wooden planks, pictures, books, or anything that had represented the Jewish people. http://www.shutterpoint.com/photos/J/20051029_130604_Bonfire%20Night_view.jpg
This is a picture of dominoes, these are also on the cover of the book. I feel like this is a good picture because one event in the book effected the whole story just like if one domino falls everything falls.
How does this book compare to others you have read?
Blog Rules
1. Keep it polite, respectful, and focused. 2. No text-talk: writing style counts. 3. DON'T YELL WITH CAPITALS! 4. Stay on topic: our purpose is to discuss literature.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/bryle_MoM0ShiRo/grim-reaper.jpg
ReplyDelete**please ignore the writing on the side of this picture**
This is the kind of mental picture I got when I imagine Death taking the life of Liesel's little brother. I had always imagined Death as a "grim reaper" sort of character, but less menacing, and less morbid. Death seems genuinely disappointed at having to steal people's souls, but as he points out, "who could ever replace me?" (page 5). So, this picture made me think of Death slowly and sadly (the picture has a sad tone, as the grim reaper's head is bowed) leading Liesel's little brother away from his family, to his death.
It is normal and at the same time interesting that people see things in different ways. But I personally cannot see the Death in this book as grim reaper. It is just too creepy, and does not really fit the character of Death in this novel. The grim reaper always associates with horror and something evil in my perspective, but I can't call Death character evil as far as I read. The book actually creates kind of human like feelings towards the narrator for his hard and never ending job, which altogether creates another weird and mixed sensation…
ReplyDeletehttp://api.ning.com/files/0*LdgAAqKJEMUhuwYomEvWsIMWUwytnWTNkFI1zw*9w_/Shadow.jpg
ReplyDeleteI chose this picture to represent death because from what I have read so far I imagine death being like a harmless shadow that is always there through the good and bad, kind of like a person that's watching over you because they know what the future is going to bring whether it's good or bad. But "death" from my perspective is always there waiting for you even though you don't realize it, it's always present because death is invisible and unpredictable it could be harmless or harmfuljust like in real life.
Note that the shadow is a male and that is because I can't imagine "death"(the narrator) being a female.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.bottomlineperformance.com/lolblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/death.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is how I assume everyone is picturing death, I picture him more like this.
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_129/1173468777VXI3AV.jpg
A simple guy, who really does not like his job but as he says in the book, it's not as if anyone can replace him.
The way I picture death is like this: http://brotherpeacemaker.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/shadow-in-the-dark.jpg
ReplyDeleteI see him as if he is your shadow. When readeing the book i feel that he is always following you just like your shadow. But the differece is that you know that your shadow is there but these cahracters dont know that death is there. In the book its like death is a shadow on a cloudy day.(Not being able to know that its there)
http://ghazala.sulekha.com/mstore/ghazala/albums/default/girl-crying-small-l.jpg
ReplyDeleteI chose this picture to represent Leisel after she cried the yellow tear. This girl seems to have come to a conclusion that changed her, just as Leisel was changed by her comprehension about the difference between good and bad.
As well the contrast between the dark and light in the picture visually represents the fact of good and bad being in everyone.
http://padresteve.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/book_burning33.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is an image of a book burning in Germany. I believe this was a point worth noting in the novel, as Leisel develops a hate for Hitler after she connects him with the disappearance and misfortune of her family and Death foreshadows about her being famous enough to be a statue. I believe the book burning is going to change to perspective of this novel due to Leisel’s new found belief and I will be waiting in suspense for Leisel’s brave act.
http://www.vintageviews.org/vv-3/interiors/pix/int04_004.JPG
ReplyDeleteThis is how I envision the mayor's library. I see it as having a musty and cold feel, "...a room that was full of cold air and books." page 134 And every detail of it is intricate. "...overcrowded yet immaculate shelving." page 134. This library is grand and is made of dark wood."The two word stood among acres and acres of vacant, wooden-floored land." page 134
http://media.photobucket.com/image/grave%20yards%20snow/MMSR5/IMG_1828-1.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is how I pictured the grave yard to look like where they buried Liesel's brother. It has a very eerie feel to it, like you want to enter, but your scared to. It has a lot of snow, and looks very dark and uninviting, but also very mysterious.
http://thinklifebalance.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/istock_000004741362xsmall-blue-man-smallest.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is how I picture the scene where Max Vandenburg is hiding in the secret storage room. He's alone, hungry, uncomfortable and tired. It's dark. There's the feeling of fear, sadness, desperation and hopelessness.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__GuJPdzBNKo/Slo6P2GGOvI/AAAAAAAABck/0tjnPLbBuCM/s400/creepy.jpg
ReplyDeleteI chose this photo because it reminded me of liesel and the type of facial expression she had; during the beginning of this novel liesel was very scared and hesitant to come out of the car. she eventually went inside
http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Fancy%20by%20Veer/p_2709641.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis picture is suppose to represent the scene on page 152 when Rudy was picking apples (stealing), I chose this picture to represent how desperately hungry Rudy was along with the rest of the kids that were also stealing apples to deal with their hunger.
http://onthisandthat.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/cold-heart.jpg
ReplyDeleteI chose this picture to represent my perspective of Hitler, although at the beginning of the novel people saw Hitler as a hero, I still see him as a cold hearted person. As I read more and more of the novel I realized that no matter what kind of person Hitler was before the Holocaust I still saw him as a cold hearted person for what he made all the Jews go through.
http://artfiles.art.com/5/p/LRG/23/2349/RLUYD00Z/vincent-van-gogh-orphan-man-sitting-with-little-girl.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis picture reminds me of Hans and Liesel, for example when he is teaching her how to read, or just spending time with her.
http://www.traveladventures.org/continents/europe/images/pedralbes-monastery07.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is how I picture the scene where Max Vandenburg is walking through Molching. His head is bent, counting every 13 steps. The streets are deserted and unfriendly looking.
http://wwoof-kenya.org/soccer
ReplyDeleteThis is exactly the area I picture the kids playing soccer while reading the book. Although there are goal posts here and no posts in the book this is still an identical representation of where I see. The "well loved" ball also is what I pictured they use while playing.
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/egovernment/images/diverse/CampbellLibrary.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is my representation of the mayor's library that Liesel was often at reading books. Although it was described as being huge by Liesel Meminger, that is the opinion of a young girl whos life is basically reading the few books she has obtained seeing a entire room full of books. I would over exaggerate too.
http://www.sirett.com/images/illustration/Large_Locked-in-their-room-without-any-supper-Hansel-Gretel.jpg
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a good representation of what Liesel could have been expecting when going to live with her new family. When she finally agrees to go into her room, she sees two beds on opposite sides, one meant for her brother. Both Liesel and her brother would be feeling lonely and scared, perhaps looking out the window longingly for their mother, just as depicted in the picture. If you were to erase the boy from the image I think it is a fairly accurate picture of what actually awaited her, minus the picture of the owl and the girls neat and tidy style.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F5fY63LECJY/SGmU2sAJjZI/AAAAAAAAALc/Fqf43lVCk8Q/s320/blog+eavesdropping+1.jpg
ReplyDeleteI personally thought this picture represents the image when Liesel was eavesdropping on Rosa and Hans conversation about liesel trying to send a letter to her mother.
Ignore the fact that the lady in this photo looks like shes 50 try to imagine her at a young age
http://forum.philboxing.com/viewpoint.php?f=5&t=128960&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30
ReplyDeletehttp://absurbadventurers.blogspot.com/2012/02/boxing-match.html
The first link, the picture is the 9th one down and the second link, the picture is the 2nd one down.
Both these images are what I imagined the boxing match in Max's dream to be like. This is when Max was boxing against Hitler and it wasn't going so well. I got the picture in my head of Max being all beat up and bloody after he was beaten in the first part of the fight. Both pictures fit my idea of the boxing match.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Faven and I think that Death is like a shadow. It is harmless and it cannot do any wrong to you. You are going to die; it’s a matter of when. From my perspective death is very harmless, it always waiting to come collect you. It is always there even though you can't see it or feel it. Death is very interesting because it is very unpredictable and you never know when it’s going to come get you. Death is always connected to you like a shadow and is always following you and when its time it comes to collect you.
ReplyDeleteHere is a link which has a picture on it of a shadow and how I think death looks like.
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/10.26/photos/18-feature1-450.jpg
http://www.ourgreatyarmouth.org.uk/images/uploaded/scaled/row_2_s.jpg
ReplyDeleteFor me this is kind of what i imagined "the road of yellow stars" too look like. Death explained this road like a long, broken arm, which for me the road kinda looks like it, with the curve at the end of the road. He also said it was a place nobody wanted to stay and look at, yet almost everyone did. Which i find this picture could represent that because it doesn't look like a very open street and a bit creepy, but there is a few people in the picture. Aswell the buildings are very old and bruised, like death said. Though, in the photo the star of david is not on all the doors, but i just imagine that they are because i just find it so fitting if the stars were on the doors (couldn't find any pictures of houses with the star). Another thing is in the book, death says there's only seven houses down the road, but in the picture there seems to be more than seven. So, again i can just imagine it fitting if there was only seven. Another thing is i imagined the street a bit wider and the houses not as close, but again this picture gets the general idea i had for "the road of yellow stars".
http://whitewashedtombs.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/jase_dark_basement.jpg
ReplyDeleteTo me, this picture reminds me of Max Vandenburg. Even though the person in this picture is standing up, it still makes me think of how Max had to hide in dark places for many years, and now he still has to in the Huberman's basement.
There is a door of light in the picture, which represents the fact that there is life only a short distance away, but Max can not get to it because of him being a Jew. He must stay in the dark where he practically doesn't exist, even though he wants to escape.
Whenever Nazi, Germans or Hitler is brought up I immediately think of the Swastika. I think of what the German's have done in the past to the Jewish people and how Hitler was so controlling. It is also the first thing that comes to my mind when the use the colours red, white, and black together.
ReplyDeletehttp://tothewire.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/swastika-inverted.jpg
Whenever Jewish people or the colour yellow is brought up I immediately think of the Star of David and how the Jewish people were forced to wear it on them so everyone knew that they were Jews.
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/images/star-yel2.gif
The way i picture Rosa Hubberman is like this
ReplyDeletehttp://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/476471/2/istockphoto_476471-angry-lady.jpg
I no this is a little crazy but to me, it suits her quite well. She always seem like she is this crazy lady who is mean and nasty looking. From reading this book im pretty sure that we can all tell that she is not fit to be Leisels foster mother. This lady just seems all around nuts. Its almost as if her main goal in life is to make other peoples lives unbearable.
http://image-photo.weather.com/9B/66/full/9B664B44-AF7D-4992-A417-1EBF5513DFAF.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis picture reminds me of the vacation spot Death wanted, but since he's such a busybody and can't take vacations, he only ends up doing his job - which describes why the sky is coloured red. Although this wasn't in the book, it just makes me think that he can't really take vacations or breaks, so if he does, it just turns into a vacation gone wrong and has to continue doing his job on his so called break. I'm not sure why the author uses the colours in the book, whether its for emphasizing the situation, or the time of day (the lighter shades meaning it's early, darker meaning later into the day) and maybe even if it's because each person has a specific colour and is only revealed when their soul is being collected, but I honestly like the idea. "The question is, what color will everything be at that moment when I come for you? What will the sky be saying?" (page 4) It's as if he's saying the sky has a mood and shows its emotions through colours - like a mood ring.
http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/book-in-water.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is what i kind of saw as the book that was floating down the Amper River (Page 241). The book that was floating down the river was The Whistler and death was foreshadowing as to what Isla Hermann did with this book. Liesel refused to take The Wistler from Isla after she fired Rosa from doing their laundry. Liesel probably didn't take the book out of anger and said she didn't want Isla's miserable book. Though it's still a bit unclear to me as to why Isla may have put the book down the River.
http://ibexinc.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/wallofbooks.jpg
ReplyDeleteWhen Liesel first sees the mayors library i picture this amount of books this image really stands out to me.
http://www.northrup.org/Photos/boston/low/Baby-ducks-following-mother.jpg
ReplyDeleteSome might find this picture silly but this is what I think caused the holocaust, and no I don't mean that the baby ducks following the mom. What I mean is that if the Germans and Jews worked together and stopped Hitler instead of following his every order they could have overcome the issues that were created because of Hitler. I mean don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being a follower as long as you are following the right path and or person ( which Hitler wasn't) and if not I believe that you should stand up and speak up (realistically I know it's easier said than done, this is just hopeful thinking) I hope that this doesn't confuse anyone.
http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/images/WildSide/fight.gif
ReplyDeleteThis picture reminded me of, when death was telling the story how Max Vandenburg and Walter Kugler began to fist fight. They fought each other and They are still friends in the present time of the book.
http://static-p4.fotolia.com/jpg/00/05/47/01/400_F_5470148_lBNbChZSdBI4cQeRwmUCnaVSOKcLg1gI.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis picture is how I visualize the scene where Liesel gives Max a hug on her birthday.(Minus the fact that the girl in the picture is much older than Liesel.) It's almost as if he's invisible. He blends into the wall. To me, the writing represents the reading that Liesel and Max share. It resembles the writing on the walls of the basement, where Max is staying. It also represents the way that Max will repay Liesel, by making her a book.
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs19/300W/f/2007/249/5/5/sadness_by_rockthenations.jpg
ReplyDeleteIgnore the fact that the person is much older then Liesel but i think this picture gives a good visual image of how she is feeling when she arrives at the Hubbermans house. Liesel is feeling alone, scared, sad, and confused she seems to feel a little hate towards her mother for making her leave bur yet is appreciating her new family.
Some of the scenes in the book remind me of the movie "Shindler's List". I picture all of the book in black and white except for the colours that they mention specifically.
ReplyDeleteI picture Himmel street looking something like this...
http://www.hunsletclub.org.uk/images/history/1940_street.gif
It seems there would be a lot of compact houses and no cars considering it is in the poor areas.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/3879336042_769cd0f3dc.jpg
ReplyDeleteI picture this as death looking in on Liesel's life on Himmile street because nobody knows he is watching them, so i think it gives a good visual.
I like the picture that you chose, Kelsey.
ReplyDeleteI think it's a good representation of Death watching over Liesel.
I like the way that Death is looking through the blinds.
In my mind, Death looked more like the Grim Reaper.
I imagine him with a cloak and his sword type thing.
Looking more like this:
http://dansemacabre.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/grim_reaper.jpg
This picture reminds me of when Death is watching Liesel at the graveyard.
http://www.leodis.org/discovery/images/2004105_793401063.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is what I pictured Max as when he left home but younger and without the instrument. This man wears an expression of sadness but almost relief just as Max described feeling when his friend came to hide him away. For me this picture represents the will to survive overpowering everything; it represents a person stripped down to one of our basic feelings; the need to survive above all costs. Max like many other Holocaust victims had to do whatever they could to survive, even if it meant leaving the ones you love behind.
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/jfa1989l.jpg
ReplyDelete**ignore the writing around this picture**
This is how I picture Death when he’s narrating this story. He reminds me a grandfather telling his grandchild (or anyone that will listen) everything that he’s seen and been through. Much like a grandchild, many readers might question the point of the story, or why they’re supposed to care. But in reality, if we actually listen to the facts, we can realize that the story is very important for us to know. It’s a piece of history that happened that might not affect us anymore, but that is still necessary to understand today. Also, Death seems to know everything in this book. It’s like he’s seen everything there is to see, and is just retelling it to us, much like a grandfather who’s been around for a long time and is trying to educate his grandchild on the many things he’s seen and experienced.
http://www.walterwick.com/feature_pics/scary_night_bts_pics/Scary_Street_final.jpg
ReplyDeleteI think this picture represents Himmel Street fairly well. If I could change something in the picture though, there would be more yards but they would be muddy and dirty as well as the road. Obviously the houses aren't exactly up to date for that time period but they all look a little grungy and they have a little glow coming from them which is what comes to mind when I think of Himmel Street.
This is the way that i pictured death in my eyes:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.frieze.com/images/shows/shadows_3.jpg
I picture death as a boy/girl looking through an enclosed view on someones life. It's view of the world is dark and gray and I feel as if he is watching over and looking at you not through a clear vision but a tad blurry. It is waiting and watching for the perfect time to come and take the life away from a person.
http://rlv.zcache.com/sorry_i_disappointed_you_card-p137481835292746839qt1t_400.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is what I pictured Liesel to be like when Ilsa Hermann told her that she was cancelling the laundry orders. Liesel said "when the others had canceled, it hadn't hurt so bad." (pg.259) so you can tell that Liesel liked going to Ilsa's house and that it was somewhat of a relief for her to go their every day or so. This part got my thinking of what Ilsa was feeling when she saw the disappointed Liesel standing on her doorstep.
http://virgo.bibl.u-szeged.hu/wm/paint/auth/hopper/street/hopper.prospect-street.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is the image in my head when i think of Himmel Street. A place for young German kids to play and kick a soccerball around. An overall happy life for all Germans while Jews on the other hand don't have it so easy!
http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/178.$plit/C_71_article_1041070_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is how I picture Death. Of course, this is not how I think he looks now, but how he describes himself is that he has his own opinions and thoughts, like a life of his own. Also, he acts as though this job was forced upon him, it's not his ideal, but if it was forced upon him then he must of had a life in advance. This is how I picture Death as a child, when he was still young and carefree. He had no idea that his life was already planned for him.
@Karlee Mckenzie
ReplyDeleteI agree with the image that you chose. It's a good example of the kind of neighbourhood I had in mind as well.
In my mind, the houses seemed a bit larger, like this: (without the trees)
http://www.charlesandhudson.com/archives/inspect-old-houses.jpg
I imagined their house to be large, but not in the best shape because they do not have the money to fix up the house.
@Karlee Mckenzie
ReplyDeleteI agree with the image that you chose. It's a good example of the kind of neighbourhood I had in mind as well.
In my mind, the houses seemed a bit larger, like this: (without the trees)
http://www.charlesandhudson.com/archives/inspect-old-houses.jpg
I imagined their house to be large, but not in the best shape because they do not have the money to fix up the house.
http://repairstemcell.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/lemmings-copy.jpg
ReplyDeleteTo me, this picture symbolized the way the Germans so seemingly blindly followed the Führer, Hitler. They never stopped to consider the consequences, never analyzed the situation and realised "Hey! He's really not such a great guy." they simply followed the beaten path.
As well, the figures in this image are all very... basic, featureless, which kind of symbolizes the uniformity of the German people. Essentially they were all the same, following their 'great' leader. As Death pointed out, "In 1933, 90 percent of Germans showed unflinching support for Adolf Hitler." (page 63)With nearly their entire population so set on a specific, close-minded way of thinking, it would be no great stretch of the imagination to visualize them looking the same, as they think similarly.
http://www.palsolidarity.org/main/wp-content/street%20soccer-sm.JPG
ReplyDeleteThis is the mental image I got when I read about the childrens’ street soccer game in the middle of Himmel Street. The houses were mostly likely smaller in that particular area, but I think this picture gives a general idea of how these children spent their free time, and where their happiness came from. They were all poor, and living under a corrupt government, so this would’ve been about as far as fun went: playing in the middle of the street with the neighbouring children.
http://www.christabelle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Maddi-Dark-002.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is how I imagined the scene of when Liesel was going down into the basement in the night, after she got Max's Book. It is dark, because I imagine not much light would get into the basement. It has an eerie feel, like she knows she shouldn't be going down in the night, but she is going anyway. Also, I noticed how this picture has a shadow of a head. I interpreted this shadow to not be Liesels, but to be Death, following her around, where ever she goes.
http://photos.igougo.com/images/p101335-Philadelphia-The_Basement.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is what i kind of imagined for the Hubermann's basement where Max Vandenburg is living. I imagine the basement very cold, creepy and a good place to hide. This photo describes and shows that kind of basement.
This picture to me symbolized the friendship between Max and Liesel. There friendship is like a crescendo, they were very quiet at the start but, now they know each other better and feel more comfortable with each other. They have a lot of similarities with each other and those similarities have turned into a very unique friendship. This picture also shows that Max said on page 235 "the best standover man I've ever known is not a man at all...” Also see page 236 to get a better understanding for the picture.
ReplyDeletehttp://thinkcards.com.au/images/KC meaningful life.JPG
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/fallenphoenix/fallenphoenix0906/fallenphoenix090600078/5107579.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis picture reminded me of when Hans was telling Lisel that she couldn't tell anybody about Max Vandenburg, or else he would burn all of her books, and himself, Rosa and Max would be taken away and would never come back.
http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/070509-26--a-brother-a-sister-and-a-sunset-mike-davis--micks-pix-photos.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis warm picture is painted in my mind when I think about the relationship between Liesel and Max. At first they were complete strangers to each other, but as time had passed they became so close as if they always were a brother and a sister. As far as I read, the book did not really expand on their relationship, but every time the narrator talks about them, I can just feel the respect, trust and sincerity between those two different, but yet so similar people. The image that I have chosen also represents these feelings. Two dark figures stand on the shore, holding hands and looking on the horizon, infinite and beautiful with the sun setting down, and taking all sorrows of the previous day with it, giving a hope that tomorrow will be a new day and that tomorrow everything is going to be OK, or maybe even better…
http://dansemacabre.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/grim_reaper.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis picture of the Grim Reaper is exactly how I pictured death to look like at the beginning of the novel until Death made the comment "By the way i like this human idea of the grim reaper. I like the Scythe. it amuses me. Then I began to think of Death as more of an angel or regular person who comes to retrieve the souls of the dead which a way I have never though of before.
http://images.quickblogcast.com/0/8/8/4/7/185470-174880/hitler_youth.jpg
ReplyDeletethis is a picture of the Nazi youth, and this picture is suppose to represent how I imagined the Hitler youth, I imagined a whole bunch of kids all standing still with serious faces.
http://isurvived.org/Pictures_iSurvived-3/jewsHOLOCAUST.GIF
ReplyDeleteThis picture is suppose to represent page 391 when people watched the Jews suffer and come down the road "like a catalog of colours", note the Nazi suroubding them.
http://dark.pozadia.org/images/wallpapers/Acceptance_of_Death___-652729.jpeg
ReplyDeleteI have found this picture and i think it is a great representation of at the beginning with Liesel's brother dies and death takes him away. This photo even has the colour red as a background, which i think fits in really well with the setting of the story.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletehttp://restorethegospel.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/vasnetsov_grave_digger.jpg
ReplyDeleteI think this picture describes best, the picture of death that I have in my head. I think he is actually a big loving jolly old man that got stuck with a grey depressing job. I think that he is actually a nice guy that got a job that makes him look bad.
http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Corbis_RF/p_2509601.jpg
ReplyDeleteI think this picture represents Rosa well because I think of her as a very stuck up old woman which this picture represents very well.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Fez0hpjjZJU/SwisAJY_nlI/AAAAAAAAAj0/at319epAfew/s1600/greyness.jpg
ReplyDeleteWhile reading the book, I've realised that the picture I have in my head of the story is very grey and dark, and not very appealing. I think that this picture really represents the picture I have in my head.
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Technology/images/nazi-book-burning.jpg
ReplyDeleteSo obviously this picture represents my idea of the book burning since it is one, but I was still thinking of a big group of people huddled around a huge fire.
There is this picture of an old library I found that I imagined when I was reading about Ilsa Hermann(the mayors wife)and her library. I imagined a big room where Ilsa and Liesel would sit and read. I saw the walls filled with shelves of books. To me it seemed like a big library for Ilsa, but I realized it suited her because she is lonely, and I see her sitting alone in the library. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3410/3411964660_8a7a0bf2a3.jpg
ReplyDeleteI found this picture of a group of books that were painted with white paint. I thought of Max painting his copy of Mein Kampf white, and putting his own story on top.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.eastpix.com/images/facebook/crust.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Death.jpg
ReplyDeleteI found this picture to be a great representation of Death in the book and in general thinking. I have always thought of death as not really have physical appearance traits, of him just being a shadow. As you probably noticed i called death a "he" that is very stereotypical of me i have always thought of a male doing a job like this, caring died body's and witnessing death. In this picture the person has no face, its just a shadow and it has a huge scythe. I could see this image following around Liesel in the book like the narrator in the story does.
This picture reminds me of the begining of the book when Liesel, her mom, and her brother were dropped off from the train. I imagined a snowy train station.
ReplyDeletehttp://media.nj.com/star-ledger/photo/63745f8bcc92e57cb9e293ddfeb3a67b_custom_665xauto.jpg
This picture reminded me of Liesel reading. Her reading, and stealing books is a very important part of the story. This picture represents her well.
ReplyDeletehttp://plaza.ufl.edu/cari84/GirlReading.jpg
This is how I imagined the giant fire that went on in the streets while Germany while the whole country was celebrating Hilter's birthday. It shows people surrounding the fire and watching everything burn. It even shows how abnormal some of the stuff in that fire may have been such as giant wooden planks, pictures, books, or anything that had represented the Jewish people. http://www.shutterpoint.com/photos/J/20051029_130604_Bonfire%20Night_view.jpg
ReplyDeletehttp://osopher.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dominoes.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis is a picture of dominoes, these are also on the cover of the book. I feel like this is a good picture because one event in the book effected the whole story just like if one domino falls everything falls.